Article [13] ST1300 - Clutch Slave Cylinder Replacement

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
OK gang, who do we have in Arizona that can go over and help Mr. Beedlebugs with his service needs?
Anyone?

Bike
ST1300
You are awesome Igofar, but I live in the remote white mountains, near Show Low in the Eastern side of Arizona, I have only ever seen one ST here, but lots of twins. Your heart is exactly what I always knew I was really fighting for. I do have a bedroom, good food, and much cooler temperatures than the Phoenix valley as a fringe benefit to anyone considering helping.

Thank you again, God bless you.

OP
OP
MaxPete
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Geeeeezzz - I would LOVE to come out and give you a hand with this but my #2 daughter is getting married this summer and my list of to-do's in prep for that is simply too long.

If anyone does live nearby in AZ - I would be happy to do a live iPad FaceTime chat session to help talk you through the process.

As I said in the article - this job is a bit awkward - but nothing is heavy, hot, or fastened very tightly. It basically involves lying on your back for an hour or so and working over your head.

I sure hope that a Forum member nearby can pitch-in and help.

Please let me know if you do get a helper - and we can arrange a chat session.

Pete

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
As soon as my hands heal enough after my surgery, I may be able to do a road trip in the car and bring enough tools to try and assist you.
I can also help any other members in Arizona, via the white courtesy phone, if you could assist our friend. I know that I will be a few months out from doing that kind of work.
Anyone else up to paying it forward and helping a Vet out?

Bike
ST1300
You guys are ST Patriots down to the bone. I treasure making new friends, especially those that walk the walk of being good and true friends that I can easily see that you guys are. Even if it doesn't work out getting together and meeting you, I still consider you guys great friends. Perhaps if we are able to do this together we can take lots of pictures and help others undertake this project and save them a headache or two or just save some time. I am a total believer in mentoring and continue knowledge sharing with peers, and our younger generation as well. God bless you and have a Super 4th of July weekend!

OP
OP
MaxPete
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
You too Mr. Bb -and I sure hope that someone there can lend you a hand.

Kind regards,

Pete

PS - Happy Independence Day on July 4th and Happy Canad Day on July 1st.

Pete,
Thank you for your terrific CSC replacement guide. I just finished on my replacement on my 2003 with 41300 miles, installing a new CSC.
I used your guide and it went very well, but I made a couple of minor changes that others may find useful.

In reinstalling the 3 seal new washers in the hydraulic fittings:
1. I thoroughly cleaned the bolt under-head washer seating surface, and on the new CSC, the washer seat surface, then using Gel Super Glue in tiny dabs, I secured 2 washers, one under the bolt head and the other to the top of the CSC bolt seal surface, keeping it centered around the bolt.
2. Before installing the new CSC I inserted the hydraulic banjo bolt through the 2 banjos, inserting the new washer between the 2 banjos. I used 15" long needle nose pliers to insert the washer.
3. I installed the new CSC, in so doing the banjos and bolt rested on top of the CSC. Then carefully centered and threaded the bolt into the top of the CSC a couple of threads. This was not easy to start, and took some time to align and get the threads to engage using 2 fingers. I then used a 15" long ratchet flex head wrench to tighten as you recommended.

Again, Thanks for your great write-up.
Marc

Last edited:
OP
OP
MaxPete
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Great input Marc - glad it worked out for you!

Hey Mr. BeedleBug - how are you making out with your CSC problem in Anthem AZ? Has anyone nearby contacted you to help with the fix?

Pete

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Keep me in the loop guys, I may be able to ride out and do that work for BeedleBug.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I tore into the 2010 yesterday. I pulled off the Clutch Slave unit off the back of the bike, not for the faint of heart! That thing was a bugger! I removed the tupperware, exhaust and centerstand (it needs some grease anyway). I think the leftside O2 sensor was the hardest thing to get off! I had to spray it with penetrating oil to get it to loosen up! :eek:4:

ClutchSlave-s.jpg

That lift made a difference. I was able to get the bike up high enough, in my shed, to work from the right side of the bike to get to the slave unit. Now putting it all back together... We'll see how that goes after I get the parts (which I still need to order.)

After cleaning up the parts and all, the piston and the body didn't want to play nice together. I guess, if I was to use some emery cloth on them, would help, but I'm thinking of just ordering the complete unit.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I’d go new Supra - after all that grief getting the danged thing off - why risk having to do it all over again by doing a dodgey rebuild?
Yeah, me too, so I just ordered three of them. One for the 2010, and one for each of the '04s. After looking at the 10's, I'm sure the '04s are really bad looking! :eek:4:

OP
OP
MaxPete
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Yeah, me too, so I just ordered three of them. One for the 2010, and one for each of the '04s. After looking at the 10's, I'm sure the '04s are really bad looking! :eek:4:
Indeed. The one on my 2007 was crap and it only had about 34,000 miles on it. The problem, I think is time and corrosion - not miles.

Mine cost about $75 CDN at my friendly local Honda dealer - mind saying what you paid?

Pete

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Indeed. The one on my 2007 was crap and it only had about 34,000 miles on it. The problem, I think is time and corrosion - not miles.

Mine cost about $75 CDN at my friendly local Honda dealer - mind saying what you paid?

Pete
They were $56 US each from Partzilla.

The problem I see is that they do not get flushed out properly when you flush out the clutch. The fluid stays in the slave unit during a flush. I don't know how you would get it out with the current design. Even if you squeeze the clutch handle when flushing it, you're not going to get much out of the slave unit! :eek:4:

OP
OP
MaxPete
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
They were $56 US each from Partzilla.

The problem I see is that they do not get flushed out properly when you flush out the clutch. The fluid stays in the slave unit during a flush. I don't know how you would get it out with the current design. Even if you squeeze the clutch handle when flushing it, you're not going to get much out of the slave unit! :eek:4:
Indeed. I used a vacuum bleeder and it pulled a good deal of crap through the system. In fact this weekend, I worked on my Honda CX500 and one of the tasks was to install a new brake master cylinder and bleed the system. Using the vacuum bleeder we pulled A LOT of old dark fluid through from the hoses and caliper before the system ran clear - but it eventually did and a nice firm lever is the result.

My vacuum bleeder is an inexpensive unit from Princess Automotive - which is very much like Harbour Freight in the US. I think it cost around $60 CDN on sale and has been well worth it.

Last edited:

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Indeed. I used a vacuum bleeder and it pulled a good deal of crap through the system. In fact this weekend, I worked on my Honda CX500 and one of the tasks was to install a new brake master cylinder and bleed the system. Using the vacuum bleeder we pulled A LOT of old dark fluid through from the hoses and caliper before the system ran clear - but it eventually did and a nice firm lever is the result.

My vacuum bleeder is an inexpensive unit from Princess Automotive - which is very much like Harbour Freight in the US. I think it cost around $60 CDN on sale and has been well worth it.
I have a couple of the "handpump" vacuum bleeders, but I bought a A/C suction pump that I want to set up as a vacuum bleeder. Maybe that would suck the junk up out of the slave unit! ;)

Bike
Honda ST1300
STOC #
Re: ST1300 Clutch Slave Cylinder Replacement

Hi MaxPete, new to the forum and to the ST1300 but looks like I will already benefit from the knowledge base here. I have a weeping Slave cylinder and no pressure on the clutch lever. Refilled the empty master cylinder reservoir and pumped the lever only to have it run out the drain hole on the slave cylinder. You will have saved me hundreds of dollars by the time I finish the repair so thanks for the hard work gathering the info. Hope the new cylinder is still working great. Ride Safe.

OP
OP
MaxPete
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Howdy Ride52 - glad you find it useful!

Please keep us posted and don’t forget the Vaseline to help with those little crush washers!

My slave cylinder is still working perfectly BTW.

Cheers,

Pete

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Guess what came in today?

ClutchSlaves-s.jpg

So this weekend I'll get the 2010's in and see if that fixes my slipping clutch...

Top Bottom