Article [13] ST1300 - Clutch Slave Cylinder Replacement

nt650hawk

Gino
Bike
2006 ST1300
looking like I have my winter maintenance task all ready lined up. I'm current adding fluid to the reservoir w/no leaks yet. I'm just waiting for the sand and salt to fly to take her off the road.

I noticed this was low when I got the bike in April with 22K miles. Now @ 29,000 I'm having to add additional fluid.

Anyone replace the line with braided hose? Length? head angles?

OP
OP
MaxPete
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
looking like I have my winter maintenance task all ready lined up. I'm current adding fluid to the reservoir w/no leaks yet. I'm just waiting for the sand and salt to fly to take her off the road.

I noticed this was low when I got the bike in April with 22K miles. Now @ 29,000 I'm having to add additional fluid.

Anyone replace the line with braided hose? Length? head angles?
Hi nt650hawk: I certainly haven’t replaced any of the hard lines on the bike with braided - although I suppose it could be done. I suspect though, that it would be quite difficult as the ST has brake and clutch hydraulic lines ALL over the motorcycle and they pass through some very small and cramped areas. Hence, fishing anything like a thick hose through these spots would likely be very difficult.

The other thing is - the leak never seems to be from a hose or hard line. It is invariably the clutch slave cylinder itself that fails and - challenging as it is to access, I’ll bet it is easier than trying to change a hard line in there.

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited:
Bike
Honda ST1300
STOC #
YUK! ...and yes, that is pretty much what mine looked like.

Did you manage to get the new one on OK?
Yep, all the goo cleaned away and the new one is on, just have to fill and bleed, check for leaks and button up the plastic. You were absolutely right about the crush washers, no way they would stay put without the Vaseline! Not with my fumbly thumbs for sure. Probably saved an hour of frustration and expletives! I'm as adventurous as the next guy, enjoy a challenge and I love to fix things but......I would have hated to wade into this one cold and clueless! This forum is an invaluable resource, but you guys already know that. Thanks Pete!

Danny

OP
OP
MaxPete
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Yep, all the goo cleaned away and the new one is on, just have to fill and bleed, check for leaks and button up the plastic. You were absolutely right about the crush washers, no way they would stay put without the Vaseline! Not with my fumbly thumbs for sure. Probably saved an hour of frustration and expletives! I'm as adventurous as the next guy, enjoy a challenge and I love to fix things but......I would have hated to wade into this one cold and clueless! This forum is an invaluable resource, but you guys already know that. Thanks Pete!

Danny
You are most welcome Danny - so glad it worked out for you.

Cheers,

Pete

nt650hawk

Gino
Bike
2006 ST1300
hmmmm. after looking at that image I my change my mind and order up a new one. I was thinking of just getting the new oil seals. Butttttt......

I will be ordering a new one and new oil seals. In whatever free time I have, i'll thoroughly clean the one removed and rebuild it as a backup.

Bike
ST1300
Hello my Brothers, sorry I have been off line. I just had a Mamogram, I did not know men could have them. I now can empathize even more with my wife and all women, it's not fun.

I have ordered the parts needed to change my CSC. I have some of the tools and should get them all picked up or ordered next week. Did anyone have any trouble with any bolts breaking in this entire process? I had a real problem with fragile bolts breaking when replacing my heads a few years ago after just trying to adjust the shims.

I really appreciate the awesome spirit, support, knowledge sharing, mechanical ingenuity, time and frustration saving secrets shared, and the Love (in a strictly, man cave, Christian sort of way).

I am not sure when I will make the attempt or try to coordinate any help from any of my brothers here.

But you all truly Rock! Thank you. I can't believe how helpful all the posts are here and thru-out ST-Owners!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
MaxPete
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hi Beedlebugs: it’s great to have you back! Hope you’re feeling better - I’ve heard of men having that test and indeed, not fun.

To your question about breaking bolts, my response is nope. The CSC is held onto the rear engine case by three small (6mm) hex head bolts and they aren’t all that tight. Just to be sure however, I ordered three new ones and installed them.

As I recall it, none of the other fasteners were problematic either. In fact, this job really doesn’t require very many fasteners to be removed and that’s one thing about it that is good. Once you get the black belly fairing off the bike, the real issues are:

1) getting access under the bike (use some sort of mat on which to lie and follow the steps re: switching between the centre stand and side stand):

2) seeing what you are doing (a really good shop light and a flashlight are very handy here);

3) dealing with the hydraulic system: getting the old fluid out and the new fluid in (the elcheapo $39.00 vacuum bleeder was golden for this part of the job);

4) getting the crush washers lined up on the banjo bolt (that’s where the Vaseline is so helpful);

5) generally keeping track of your tools etc. when you’re flat on your back (having a helpful assistant to hand you things is a good thing);

Please note - since I wrote the article, another Forum member contributed the fact that a new gasket really isn’t necessary because the gasket doesn’t actually seal anything (and he is dead right there). Sooo...I would say that as long as the old gasket is smooth and flat when you take off the leaking CSC, you could simply leave it there and mount the new unit on it.

That reduces the grief factor significantly since getting the old gasket off the engine case is a pain.

I believe it was SupraSabre or perhaps Igofar who suggested removing the speed sensor from the rear engine case to improve access and that is a good idea too.

Don’t forget a little dab of grease on the end of clutch pushrod where it engages in the CSC piston as per the manual.

Other than those thoughts, it’s really just a slightly awkward job that isn’t that bad and saves a ton of money (well over $1000 in labour).

Anyhow, please keep us posted and best of luck for a successful repair and a return to riding.

Kind regards,

Pete

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST 1300
MaxPete,
I used this article to change my CSC on my 05. Freaking awesome! Made it ease and saved tons of money! You' re my new hero brother!!

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Hello my Brothers, sorry I have been off line. I just had a Mamogram, I did not know men could have them. I now can empathize even more with my wife and all women, it’s not fun.

I have ordered the parts needed to change my CSC. I have some of the tools and should get them all picked up or ordered next week. Did anyone have any trouble with any bolts breaking in this entire process? I had a real problem with fragile bolts breaking when replacing my heads a few years ago after just trying to adjust the shims.

I really appreciate the awesome spirit, support, knowledge sharing, mechanical ingenuity, time and frustration saving secrets shared, and the Love (in a strictly, man cave, Christian sort of way).

I am not sure when I will make the attempt or try to coordinate any help from any of my brothers here.

But you all truly Rock! Thank you. I can’t believe how helpful all the posts are here and thru-out ST-Owners!!!
PM sent with the white courtesy :call: number in case you need any assistance over the phone.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I'm on it....just sent him a PM and an Email with my number, to be used 24/7 if needed for any reason!

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Maybe we can get someone to order a motion pro bleeder on amazon and have it dropped shipped to him.

Top Bottom