New bike in the stall this fall

wgelhar

Wade
Bike
2002 ST1100
I joined the multi motorcycle owners club last week. I have put 14K on my 1991 ST(46k on clock) in the last 18 months. It was my first STreet bike in 20 years or so. I found that I love riding more than ever. Commuting, camping, getting ice cream, getting coffee..... I find any reason i can to ride the ST. and the wife is all in. Last week I found a Maroon 2002 ST on CL with only 18K at a fall clearance price. Couldn't pass it up. It had some farkles, the 91 has some farkles.... so I am riding trying to decide which ones I like best. Clear view medium or stock with Laminar Lip. Stock exhaust vs TwoBros..... 2 different Corbin seats..... Oh the stress of decisions. LOL. The stock exhaust on the 02 ST is so peaceful while riding at any speed, but i do like the 2Bros rumble.....More to come. I will be selling the 91 ST in the spring. Safe Rides all

OP
OP

wgelhar

Wade
Bike
2002 ST1100
I forgot , couple of questions. Does the '02 1100 use the same spark plugs? ( one web site said no). And the new bike has a slight wobble when deceleration in the 40-45 mph range?? Is there a good thread on the wobble?

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Welcome to the family! Enjoy the two ST's. To answer one question.... the wobble is most likely due to the tire you have on the front and/or possible bad steering head bearings.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Congrats on the new ride.
I agree with Vinny on the tire being the cause.
Not sure about the spark plugs.

Enjoy!

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Same plugs Wade. Multiple 1100's is a great thing. Keeping the 91 beats what you would get for it. Spare parts is one reason.

Last edited:
Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Welcome to Club Wineberry! :-D You clearly have great taste in bikes.

These STs are addicting aren't they? I'm riding *way* more than I ever thought I would when I first got her.

As for the wobble, the advice above about tires and steering head bearing is right on. I'd look at your front tire. At 14K miles it could still be the original OEM tire that is getting cupped. A quick check for play and notchiness in the steering head would also be in order.

Enjoy the new ride.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Welcome to the family! Enjoy the two ST's. To answer one question.... the wobble is most likely due to the tire you have on the front and/or possible bad steering head bearings.
To add up Vinny's good advice, Check that the steering head bearings are tight and in good condition. It's best done on the center stand with weight off the front wheel. Pushl the wheel toward and pull away from the bike: it should be tight. There should be a slight tension on the bearings so some small friction when you turn the wheel. If it feels 'notchy' the bearings have hammered into the races and need to be replaced. I'm a fan of roller bearings and have replaced my stock ball bearings at about 65K the rollers are still good now at 100K.
jim

OP
OP

wgelhar

Wade
Bike
2002 ST1100
Thanks for the congrats and advice. This site is a amazing collection of good advice, experience and friendly people. Picking farkles so far: I like Clearview medium with cat eye vents over stock with laminar lip. My Corbin seat over the other Corbin??? No idea. The new find was not comfortable at all for me with stock bars. Moving the Helirisers from old ST was mandatory. It was a little more difficult than I thought it would be. Side note: if u center stand and lift front slightly, all u have to do is loosen 6 bolts to slide the forks down enough to move cables wherever u need. Changed rear gear oil. Irrid plugs and K&N air tomorrow. Still haven't decided on the 2Bros pipes yet. Tough one. Lights are brighter on 02ST for sure. I may add heated grips now that I have more electricity to play with. Recommendations????? Thanks again.

Top Bottom