I guess it happens to everyone sometime

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Went for a great ride yesterday with a guy I work with. For those in Colorado we went up through Evergreen and Shadow Mountain area and then off to Guanella Pass. It was just a beautiful day, a great temp, no wind, color still on the trees. Went from HWY 285 to Georgetown. We were coming into Georgetown and there is a stop sign right at the bottom of the hill (Guanella Pass Rd and Rose St.). This is a bad intersection, a good downhill grade, a stop sign and a right turn to continue.

I was stopped waiting for my riding mate. I look in my right mirror and see him coming a little to fast. He couldn't stop and clipped my right saddlebag. He flipped and crashed in the intersection. It sounds bad but he got up and after we pieced his bike back together we rode back to Denver.

So my bike lost the right saddlebag cover and no other damage and no damage to me. But I think there were three things that saved me and my bike from more damage. This spring I decided to put on a set of those GL1800 crash bars. Went I got hit the other bike hit my saddlebag and then hit the crash bar, causing his bike to move to the right and flip. My bike did not move. When I stop I always have my hand and foot brake on. In this case my leg was up on the peg protected by the crash bar. Most likely if the bars was not there or my foot was on the ground this whole thing would have been really bad for me. Lastly since I always stop (because most of the time I ride with my wife and I wait for her before moving on, habit) I did not start my right turn. I was waiting for my riding mate. If I would have started to make the right this also would have been very bad for both of us. Most likely a broadside.

His insurance will cover the losses so that is good. I am sure he will be very sore for a few days, not much road rash but he hit the ground kind of hard and we know that when we tumble we will hurt for a few days.

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Wow, glad it wasn't more serious and you guys live to ride again. Hope your friend heals up quickly.

John STeele
Peace and All Good

Last edited:
Bike
2005 & 2006 St 1300
STOC #
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, as you said not that bad in that he was able to get up and ride home. I also have the GL1800 crash bars on my bike.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Glad to hear you're okay.

A little too fast? I'm not sure what you meant by that, but if the result of the collision was his bike flipping into the intersection as you describe I'd say it was more than a little too fast. I'm not sure I'd be willing to ride with someone who rear ended me at a stop sign like that and I'd be seriously questioning his judgement and/or riding skills. I'd at least be seriously asking ***?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Glad things worked out (somewhat). Next time, I think I would be following him and not in front! :eek::

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
I have witnessed two riders crash in front of me. I will follow if my partner rides in a fashion that invites that, where if I have a more conservative rider with me he is happy having me lead. If he drops back to smell the roses I do the same and enjoy our surroundings. He enjoys me cutting trail and feels safer with me out front as well. Riders should consider consciously considering safe riding positions on the road. Some are more alert than others. Learn to pick out each others skills and rising styles. Some hot rodders are easy to pick out while others more subtle.
Glad you guys have no serious injuries and will live to learn from the past. Then enjoy future rides.

Top Bottom