Horse before the cart have trailer no hitch

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
I could use the experts here advice. I have a 2003 ST1300 love the bike but not enough storage for camping. I bought a Cycle-Mate trailer now I need a hitch on the bike. Anybody have a used one for sale? I have seen the one on EBay any advice on installing one of them? How many attachment points do they have? Does it have to be fully removed to change tires? TIA for all your responses.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Uni go trailers...........they have the hitch for you.........I use it and its great. NO the rear tire doesn't have to be removed. Matty

OP
OP
okiehick82
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
I bought a nice used Classic Industries hitch. They are made in Australia. I didn't get any mounting instructions or pictures of it mounted. If anyone here has any information about mounting it I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance. John

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Last edited:

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I also have one of the Ebay/Truman hitches. It is a knock off of a Bushtec hitch, the Uni-go has verticle supports where this one does not. I also had to change the front bolts to make it work better.

If you will be to removing the tire by dropping it out through the bottom using a lift, then there is room with this hitch. If you pull it out through the back, then yes it has to come off.

I have about 1000 miles of pulling my Bushtec with this hitch and have had no issues.

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
I bought a nice used Classic Industries hitch. They are made in Australia. I didn't get any mounting instructions or pictures of it mounted. If anyone here has any information about mounting it I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance. John
Good news - here's a link to Classic Industries: http://www.classicind.com.au/, they should be able to email you some information.

Not so good news - I had three concerns with the Classic hitch I purchased new (direct from Classic) for my Honda CB1300. One of the retaining nuts was welded on the incorrect side of the rod that goes forward to mount on the frame (at the pillion left foot rest). An easy fix (even for me), but one that I should not have had to do, and was met with disinterest from the Classic owner/ manager when I emailed him re. this issue.

Another concern was my fault. This was a slight bend that slowly developed in the horizontal rods, just to the rear of the where the vertical supports mounted. This was probably due to a combination of my not fixing the vertical supports as rear as possible, and perhaps too much mass being placed on the tow ball. Again, an easy fix, just mounted the vertical supports, as far back as possible.

The final concern was the hitch was not as sturdy as I would have liked, there was a small amount of lateral flex or sway. This was not a problem with the Classic trailer, but with the heavier Elite Camper trailer, it was. The CB was too light, to tow the Elite so ST was purchased.

Due to the disinterest shown by Classic, I sought an alternative hitch for the ST1300 and was lucky to get a US made unit from an OzSTOC colleague here is AUS. I don't recall the manufacturer's name or details (have looked for them previously but without success), but it is a much better unit, much sturdier, no flex or sway (even with the heavier trailer), put together properly, and more concealed (vertical support inside rear wheel well).

Despite some of the concerns with the Classic hitch, it served me well, towed the classic approximately 50,000km over five years and on many types of road, many gravel road. If your trailer is not too heavy, the Classic will be fine if you check that all nuts are welded correctly and you assemble it correctly.

If you have a heavy trailer, I recommend you source a better hitch than the Classic.

Top Bottom