Considering a used 2012 ST1300

Hi All. New member here. I am currently looking at a used low-miles 2012 ST1300.

A little background on myself:
I currently ride a 2015 V-Strom 650XT. It has side cases, a backrest, and highway pegs. I typically keep rain gear, bungees, and misc. work stuff in the side cases. I have a soft luggage rack on the back for my work backpack.

I commute to work (about 45 miles one-way), and occasionally take the bike on 2-day business trips (usually under 3-hour one-way trips). I ride solo 90% of the time, and 2-up riding is usually no more than 45-minutes. My commute to work is about 5 minutes of country roads, about 30 minutes of interstate, then about 10 minutes of light city traffic.

I love the bike on the interstate and on the back roads. I only have two issues with the bike...I'd like to have a little more power, and I'd like to have a little more saddle room for the occasional two-up riding (we're not small folks, so we're a little cramped on saddle space).

I'm about 5' 6" and 190LB.

I test rode a 2012 ST1300 with about 3,000 miles on it today. I rode both solo and with my wife. She was very comfortable on it, and the bike was comfortable with her on it. There is no doubt it will offer the two things I'm looking for (more saddle room and more power).

I can't afford both bikes, so if I get the ST1300, I'll be trading in the V-Strom (I know, both bikes are the perfect solution, right?).

My question to you experienced folks is...will an ST1300 be a lot of bike for a solo daily commuter? It will be great on the interstate for sure, but maybe not as fun on the backroads? I know it was a handfull wheeling around by hand back into its parking spot.

st1300doug

BUY it.....never look back. BUT.......do look for a new seat. A MUST!!!!

Bike
No bike
STOC #
Sounds like a great bike for you, it is hard to walk around but you get used to that and as soon as you are moving under power it feels light as a feather

Bike
VStrom 650
You are right to consider the weight issue. Interstates (motorways and Autoroute's over here) are one thing and back roads (lanes) are another. My ST1100 is OK on smaller twistier roads but you have to ride accordingly; your VStrom would definitely do these roads better, it would be a lot more fun. The ST's can be quite tiring with all the effort you put in, although I don't know how your back roads compare. The obvious pay back is you will have one of the best touring bikes out there and your other half will love you for it. Buy it.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
" your other half will love you for it. Buy it. " Good enough reason right there...enjoy the ride....ff

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I commute about 125 miles a day on my ST1300(s) I have found it to be the perfect bike for commuting (love the power), but it also lets me slip through the traffic (lane splitting).

I also just did a 4,800 miles over 19 days last month and it was a perfect ride!

At 5'6" you'll be stretching for the ground, but since you already rode it, you know that. But don't worry, there's a thing (here on the forum) called "Tip Overs". It lets you keep track of how many times you've "Drop It". ;)

If it doesn't have a top case, add that for more space and something for your wife to lean against while riding.

So, as stated, go for it!

OP
OP
If it doesn't have a top case, add that for more space and something for your wife to lean against while riding.
It does have a Givi 55L Monokey top case and a backrest (I think the backrest is a Corbin). If I would have thought about it before the test ride, I would have brought by work backpack along to see if it would fit in the top case...its kinda big. On the V-Strom, I have a soft luggage rack I build specifically for the backpack. I also built a backrest for the wife.

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
I have an ST 1300 and Cindy a beautiful vstrom. I appreciated having the wee to ride while my ST was damaged this spring. I have NEVER chosen the Wee if the ST was available. We still ride 2 up on the ST frequently. I do not see a downside to influence your decision away from the ST unless you have a thing for gravel.
Dennis

OP
OP
I have an ST 1300 and Cindy a beautiful vstrom. I appreciated having the wee to ride while my ST was damaged this spring. I have NEVER chosen the Wee if the ST was available. We still ride 2 up on the ST frequently. I do not see a downside to influence your decision away from the ST unless you have a thing for gravel.
Dennis
I do occasionally dabble in some gravel when checking trail cams where I hunt (hilly, curvy, ridgeline gravel roads, at that). But these gravel roads are a handful on the V-Strom also, since I've turned it into a road-only machine with custom suspension and Pilot Road 4 tires running high psi.

OP
OP
One question I had for you folks that have owned Sport Tourers...how do you keep stuff from falling out of the side cases when you open them?

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
There are really nice bags which AE designed for the side cases and you put your stuff in them and then put the bags not the side cases. Works great.

Buy it. But do not ride it on gravel - a least till you're used to it.

Pete

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
One question I had for you folks that have owned Sport Tourers...how do you keep stuff from falling out of the side cases when you open them?

Small cargo nets. Hopnel makes some that are often marketed for Goldwing top boxes. Each ST1300 pannier will accept two cargo nets.

Bike
2005 ST1300
The things that i get at often go in the top trunk. The other things go in the side bags. I remove the side bags and take them into the motel...lay them on the bed/floor and fold them open. I'm not a fan of top loader bags

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
They fit with the small side pocket fitting into the recess at the back, and not the way round that many photos show them.
Brilliant! I had no idea and use them the wrong way round. It's handy to quickly get things out of the small zippered pockets but that's been wasting storage space. Thank you for mentioning that John! I'll probably still use them with the pouches out when traveling in Sport-Touring mode and turn them Heath-side proper when traveling in Sport-Touring mode. You know- bringing the hair dryer and waffle iron. Don't forget the shower head and adjustable spanner when staying in a hotel. Low-flow doesn't flow with me. Thanks again!

Small cargo nets. Hopnel makes some that are often marketed for Goldwing top boxes. Each ST1300 pannier will accept two cargo nets.
Thanks for this bit too. I saw that Igofar has a net installed on the outer half of each pannier. That's where I'd want to keep any loose bits since they sit better when it's opened. There were so many choices I didn't know what to order. The Hopnel ad even states their nets work in the ST1300 panniers! Thank you as well!

OP
OP
I ended up passing on the ST1300. If I was willing to spend the $$$ on a second bike, it would be a no-brainer. But when it came down to it, I just could not walk away from the V-Strom as an every-day work horse. I may regret my decision here in another month when there's frost on the bike every morning. I can always go back and get it if nobody else has bought it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom