What's Your Best Gasket Remover

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
To finish the story (yes, a couple of years late), said carb that initiated this thread was for a snow blower. After borrowing an ultrasonic cleaner, and spending a few hours picking it up, getting u-sonic carb cleaner, tearing the machine and carb apart, and putting everything back together and returning the u-sonic cleaner, the machine started on a couple of pulls and worked fine. Then I searched on ebay for a used carb. Wouldn't you know it, there was a NEW Chinese one available for $12. Bought two and put one on my other Toro snowblower. Started on the first pull and ran like new. There is a lesson here....

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
I'm struggling with old gaskets on a disassembled carb (happens not to be a motorcycle carb, but I've had the same problems with bike carbs in the past).

What is your best gasket remover?

So far, carb cleaner, acetone and lacquer thinner have not easily dissolved the old (well in excess of 15 years) gasket bonded to the aluminum carb body. I'm rubbing, scraping, soaking, and repeating all these, but the thought of trying to remove a large gasket on my bike makes me pause.
For the last 50 years I have used a scraper made from an old hacksaw blade (about 4 inches long) with a 45% blade ground across it. Used carefully, no gasket has been able to stay put for long!

Top Bottom