New Michelin Premier A/S 195/55R/16

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Some of you Goldwingers out there picked up on the fact I was getting ready to give this tire a try on my '06 Wing...

I was a little concerned when it arrived, because it looked much wider the the Michelin Primacy Alpin run flat I had previously on the wing.

Took a couple of pictures during the mounting process so you can see what I was referring to...

The "unmounted" Premier measured 1 1/4" wider than the mounted Primacy...
IMG_1278.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg
But mounted, the Premier A/S was drawn down an entire inch....

IMG_1287.jpg

The New Premier A/S is a full 3/16" wider than the Primacy Alpin, but there are not clearance issues when mounted on the bike. Yes it is just a little fussier trying to get it pass the drive hub, but once in, clearance is fine.

Now, the Ride report. This tire squirms and twitches much like the Continental Contipro Contact I first run on the wing. There was a distinct twitch while leaning and changing gears in the curves. When attempting to tighten or loosen the radius during the curve, you can fill the tire squirm or swim around... I experienced none of those characteristics with the Michelin Primacy Alpin. So... when this tire is worn down, I will be going back to the Primacy Alpin.

Short and sweet, hope this helps you decide which tire to mount on the back of your wing.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
My Alpin handled great, but I only got 19K out of it. I've got 14K on my current Bridgestone Driveguard, we'll see how long it lasts.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
To me, the reason to go dark side is mileage and cost savings. Sounds to me like it don't necessarily pan out. On the 1100, I got only 20K+ compared to 18K on the Michelin Commander. I'm STicking with bike tires from now on.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
I am considering going dark on my next rear tire so all this info is helping. Thanks Vinny.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
How's the handling on the Bridgestone?
I'm not all that particular and think it handles fine. Seems the dark side difference is very subtle on the wing compared to the ST where I can really feel the difference in tires.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Vinny,
I don't think that you can get the Alpin. It's been discontinued, from what I've heard on other forums.

John

OP
OP
vinny
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Vinny,
I don't think that you can get the Alpin. It's been discontinued, from what I've heard on other forums.

John
John, I think you are right about that... but the "Primacy" is still available... I thought.

I'm gonna play around with the air pressure a little and see if I can get it to behave somewhat. If I get 20K out of the tire, I will be happy!

Top Bottom