Saddle-sore 1000/1600 around the lower lakes?

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Hi there. I am looking at doing a SS1000 (or 1600 for us metric folks) by riding all the way around the lower Great Lakes, Erie and Ontario. I have done Google Maps with a route starting from Toronto going east and then dropping into the States just past Kingston and swinging west across the top of New York, Pennsylvania and Ohio to get to Detroit and then back to Toronto. It's just over 1000 miles or 1600 km.

Probably next year, but if this Indian Summer continues I might go for it in November sometime. (since it is only 24 hours you can get pretty good predict on the weather for your ride)

If you have an interest in doing the same or even sharing the road along the way for a bit, give me a shout. It might be more fun (not to mention safer) to have a buddy along for something like this....

OP
OP
Highway STar

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
If am available I might try that too. I could start in Chatham and pick you in in Toronto. What dates are you contemplating.
It would be either a Saturday or a Sunday, late Oct or early November. Depends on if I can find some heated gear in case it's needed. If not this year then next spring as a warm up for the Moonshine lunch-run. What do you think?

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
I have considered doing a similar ride, and still have it percolating at the back of my brain, but I'm out until next year - the cold doesn't bother me (I have heated gear) but I want to ride more in daylight hours. If you don't end up going until next year we should chat...

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Anthony (Strep) & I rode a SS around Lake Huron a few years ago. I'd like to do the lower lakes SS sometime but agree with Dean ... I'll do it when there's a lot more daylight.

OP
OP
Highway STar

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
OK, so I am looking at doing this and my plan is to start early in the morning and go east to Kingston and drop down into the States by the time the sun is up so I am not riding into the sun and it has swung past by the time I am heading east again from Detroit. Does anyone have an idea of how to check highway conditions in the US so I don't run into Sunday closures of interstates for construction. etc.? Planning this for a Sunday late June/early July. If it doesn't work out I will be going for it on my ride to Nova Scotia in late July.

Top Bottom