Waterproof bag with vent valve?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Not to hijack the thread but I have a set of waterproof panniers from Aerostich that failed at the welded seam. How do I repair? Superglue doesn't work.
Aerostich customer service is pretty good, have you contacted them? If its a product failure, as it appears, they might repair it for you for free.

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I rode from 62 ft to 13,000 ft with my Wolfman and a Seattle Sports with no issues at all. I'd say manufacturers defect. I squeeze mine down and cinch them up.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
All math aside folks... try visiting the potato chip isle at any grocery store in Colorado Springs and pick up a bag of chips that had been packaged at sea level.....

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
All math aside folks... try visiting the potato chip isle at any grocery store in Colorado Springs and pick up a bag of chips that had been packaged at sea level.....
So you're saying if the potato chip packaging can withstand the small pressure change, the waterproof bag should be able to as well, I agree.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Best soft waterproof bag I've found has hard molded bottom with a vent, $50 Amazon Prime:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00644OLLU/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have that very same bag but in the XL size (110 Liter). Sits long ways on the tail of my for all my trips now (see photos in my flickr albums... link in sig).

Yes, it does have a rigid bottom tray that helps it to keep it's shape.
NO, THAT VENT DOES NOT LET AIR OUT FROM INSIDE THE BAG. The bottom tray is a separate additional layer that the bag envelope is attached into. That vent only allows air and moisture to escape from between the layers in the bottom. The vent doesn not go through to the inside of the bag.

When I roll down my dry bags (I use 2, this one and a Sea to Summit 35 Liter bag for my tent and tarp), I sit or kneel on them to squeeze as much air out as possible and then roll down the top. Roll once and continue to squeeze more air out, and continue with the second roll/more air, and the third when usually it is sealed and no more air can be pushed through. I try to roll it down 4 times if possible. Never a problem with the bag bloating from air inside heating up. Haven't really been up that high to see significant air pressure changes but heat from the sun warming the bag will also cause expansion of any air inside.

Love this bag. Can't be beat for the price and performance.

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
When I roll down my dry bags (I use 2, this one and a Sea to Summit 35 Liter bag for my tent and tarp), I sit or kneel on them to squeeze as much air out as possible and then roll down the top. Roll once and continue to squeeze more air out, and continue with the second roll/more air, and the third when usually it is sealed and no more air can be pushed through. I try to roll it down 4 times if possible. Never a problem with the bag bloating from air inside heating up. Haven't really been up that high to see significant air pressure changes but heat from the sun warming the bag will also cause expansion of any air inside.
Probably a combination of not expelling the air as carefully as usual, sun hitting the black bag, load on top of the bag and overzealous tightening of the straps that caused the failure. Tire pressure when up about 4 psi with the altitude. But bag failed before the top of the divide so must have been less that that at burst time, but enough to break the camel's back.

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
if there's a mfg. defect, Seattle sports will replace. fwiw I've never heard of a welded seam giving out..... so take some pics and follow up with a call.
After looking at the pics, they are sending a return label for repair. Thx for the tip.

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
So you're saying if the potato chip packaging can withstand the small pressure change, the waterproof bag should be able to as well, I agree.
Most do... however there's always a few that have burst after being handled. Anything is possible folks...

this is the same construction/materials as liferafts...should be able to take much more than an 6k foot change in pressure and hold... it happens, but the mfg is willing to make good on it..and that makes the difference

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #

TPadden

Tom Padden
Welcome, everything has stayed dry for me and the flat bottom is great for passenger seat and picnic table loading.

Tom

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Gave up on having my Seattle Sports waterproof bag repaired and instead got this one you and others have recommended. Huge opening makes it very easy to load up. Perfect size for my needs. Also much easier to expel the air out of it.

Thanks for the tip.
I love these bags so much due to ease of use, tie down points and the semi rigid bottom, that I gave my son my two big Seal-Line roll top bags so he and his wife can use them for kayaking. The KwiK-Tech bag is much more friendly for MC use.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I love these bags so much due to ease of use, tie down points and the semi rigid bottom, that I gave my son my two big Seal-Line roll top bags so he and his wife can use them for kayaking. The KwiK-Tech bag is much more friendly for MC use.
Yep, I have the same one (Kwik Tek Dry Pak)... really like it for the reasons already stated.

Top Bottom