High speed handling issue

Bike
07 ST1300
I don't know who I am talking to at this point BUT, my high speed handling has been very nice since I raked my windscreen back and moved it forward a bit. I use PR4 GT's for now and a clearview GT small.
Also much quieter, no buffeting and no forward draft.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I don't know who I am talking to at this point BUT, my high speed handling has been very nice since I raked my windscreen back and moved it forward a bit. I use PR4 GT's for now and a clearview GT small.
:worthless

Bike
03 st 1300
I have not ridden much with givi on back. My original brigestones have 6400 miles now.
bike has only gotten wiggly once when I was following a semi, and then passed him full throttle with shield
up. I won't do that again. The only other problem is im a short gezzeer with hurt knees from picking my bike up three
times last year. It's so darn heavy isn't it. But it runs perfect, looks fine and is soooo fast.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It must be the Clearview and rake that works for you with this mod. I made several versions of this mod that moved the shield out to nearly 2" from stock and did not hear or feel any improvement worth the added stress on the windshield lift mechanism. I did not change rake angle though. I went back to stock. FWIW the Madstad windshield systems that work so well give a slot of 3" or more.

Hard to believe this thread is 13 years old: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?7767-ST1300-Screen-Mod

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?139580-Windscreen-Mod-Article-Thank-you!

Bike
07 ST1300
:worthless
OK OK..Note you can not see the compound bend in the aluminum angle. This removes the stress on the mechanism.
And yes the bike is dirty. I ride in the winter.
Also note the old top hole is for parallel mounting and the new top hole is for further raking. I didn't bother making new brackets because It was experimental and I see no reason to now.

Last edited:
Bike
03 st 1300
I'll assume you know the trick to pick up a bike. I've used this method to pick up the 'Wing.

Youtube linky
Yes sir, I used the backside on the seat. My bike was full of gas and even with this method I dislocated my right knee, etc.
been 6 months since last gentle tip over. I will never attempt again without help unless I absolutely have no choice.
maybe I will carry a come along, hand pulley jack to help. I know those of you who are young can’t imagine the time when your
legs get weak, but it happens to many. Dave

Cut bracket and weld in metal.... Moves bracket square so lines up holes in windshield straight out so no angle issues...
Bracket_DSC_5131_2.jpg

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Or just put a pilot case behind you and use tie downs crossed over from passenger foot peg to opposite side passenger back grip and visa versa... I've done it for ages and have zero problems: and its a nice back rest and I can carry so much more...
PS if you look at the picture below you can see the bag on the bike behind me...

Last edited:
Bike
Vstrom 650
I just removed the top case altogether, she should be alot more aerodynamic now, a seat bag would make a good backrest come to think of it.

Bike
ST1100
I just removed the top case altogether, she should be alot more aerodynamic now, a seat bag would make a good backrest come to think of it.
Guys I have 2 st1300's one the restricted p 2016 version the other is an open 2004 version. I found by putting a Avon tyre on the front and an Annakee3 on the rear any unstable feelings dissapeared over 120kph I had before the Avon ran Road Pilot 4GT nit the Std.. no real issue over the 120kph she was a bit as you say squirmy up between 100koh to 120kph ive had both to 190kph and they are as stable as.. the p version I towva single axel and a 2 wheel trailer she tows well brakes are also good with trailer usage. The P version has beehln fully loaded with pillion she does get unstable at around 160koh overtaking road trains but steuth that I reckons got to be expected out of a top motorcycle.. my p version has well over 300.000k on her the 2004 has only 40.000km hope the tyre mention helps

Top Bottom