ST1100 Detail

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I've owned my 94 ABS since 2013 (I think it's now about 3 years if I'm not mistaken- got it in October 2013)- anyway, it's 22 years old but only has 31,000 miles on it. Mechanically it's in superior condition. It's been a little tired looking with all the smashed bugs on it and despite washing it, it still looked kind of well, drab. It's been hot in SC, so for the summer, it's really difficult to find a cool morning to do a proper detail. My brother uses higher end products (Adams Polishes) for his cars and bikes and also uses a clay bar kit to clean his cars and bikes. He is now the owner of my prior 06 Acura TL and has a 300ZX and another Acura. His clay bar treated cars puts any detail I ever had done to my cars to shame.

So I got to work at 7AM today- I started with washing it down using a spray gun (not really high pressure) and cleaned up all the painted surfaces. Then after drying it (large microfiber towel), I used a Meguiars clay bar and detail spray kit, then dry again thoroughly. When done with this, I used Meguiars Liquid Gold Carnauba wax. This was a final wax job by hand, so I have to assume the use of an orbital buffer might yield more striking results. There's some areas on the bike with mild paint crazing (really seen only up close), so I think it turned out quite well. The only other issue I have is the prior owner(s) used the metal spoons to mount tires, so there's a fair degree of chipped paint on the wheel edge where it meets the tires. I bought an eBay paint pen (felt tip) Honda color: YR87M Laguna Gold Metallic as this is a close approximation to the wheel finish according to a thread here. Anyway, on to the pics:

^^ In the garage is the 00ST non ABS- that one is getting done tomorrow AM.

^^ Here, in the garage, you can really see the gloss on the front fender area.

I would say for a total of 2 hours of work, I'm really pleased with the results. Using the clay bar was actually really easy. As I said above, the 2000 is up next, and then I guess I'll work on the cars. The clay bar kit was only $16 or so at WalMart, so not bad at all.

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Nice job. Mine sure could use some lovin' like that. Looks great!

John STeele
Peace and All Good

Last edited:
OP
OP
Erdoc48

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
On to round 2 (the 2000 ST):

And finally...waiting for the next ride:

I washed, used the clay bar, and final detail with the Meguiars Gold Class- again, a lot of work but definitely worth the effort.

Thanks for watching!

Last edited:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Oooohhhhhhh Aaaahhhhh that's purdy right there...! Nicely done.

ToddC

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
You're 'sposed to wash 'em? Hmmmm.... I'm afraid to do much with my '93, would rub the remaining candy red right off of it. But then it would be silver!
Seriously though, yours looks really good!

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I always had a tall shield on the bike but I tried a shorty once and never went back (well, I use an OEM shield in the colder weather).
What brand are those windshields? I have the stock shield on my 11 but it is pretty noisy around the top of my helmet visor, and also a bit on the warm side (but nice in winter).

OP
OP
Erdoc48

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
What brand are those windshields? I have the stock shield on my 11 but it is pretty noisy around the top of my helmet visor, and also a bit on the warm side (but nice in winter).
I bought them both in the classified forum on ST-Owners (so I bought them both used). I believe they're Clearview Shields. The one on the black 94 is the 11" sport shield and the one on the red 2000 is a 9" sport shield- on the Clearview site, they list 2 tints in addition to the clear shield, one at 49% and the darker one at 17% (I assume light transmittance). However, my shield on the 94 is opaque black (and there's not an issue seeing over it). Here's the Clearview site for the ST1100 so you can see the shields offered:

http://www.clearviewshields.com/motorcycle-windshield/honda/st1100-shields/

When I was riding with a larger shield, it would seem the wind noise factor didn't matter, even with a tall shield (my old shield was 26" tall) and when it was colder with more dense air, it would act like a sail. With the sport shields on, there's no sail effect, so the bikes seem more planted. I still have the tall shield as well as the OEM shield and I bought a used clear Laminar Lip shield for when it gets colder. I always use ear plugs when riding, so that's really no issue with the short shields.

As for cleaning the bikes, they were really pretty dirty with a lot of smashed bugs on the fronts of both bikes. When you use a clay bar and the detail spray, it really takes all the contaminants off the paint (vs using compound)- the finish of the paint is then very smooth and when you do the final waxing, it goes on and comes off very easily. Now I have to work on the cars and pretty them up as well.

Top Bottom