Odometer stuck on 29999...

STOC #
The speedometer works fine.
The Trip Odometer works fine.
But the Main Odometer is stuck on 29999 and won't roll over to 30K miles.
It's been that way for the last two rides.

Thoughts?

Thanx in advance.

[Edit: Oh yeah... 2003 ST1100P]

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Probably a plastic sprocket/gear cracked or worn off...
Seems you need to replace the clock... bit of a surgery though... literally as sterile environment is mandatory! :cool:

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Kinda like Jack Benny.....wait a minute....I guess that was 39....never mind........ff

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
Took apart the dash yesterday so I could fix my Odometer.

Removed the Saddlebags...
Removed the Seat...
Removed the Side Covers...
Removed the Shelter...
Removed my Air Deflectors...
Removed the Maintenance Covers...
Removed the Right and Left Pocket Cowls...
Removed the Windshield...
Removed the Inner Screen...
Removed the Meter Screen...

All so I could get to the three bolts that hold the Meter Panel on!!!

Plastics are un-flippin' real.

I opened the meter panel and took a look around... couldn't find anything wrong, except that the Odometer just didn't have enough oomph to push all 5 digits over. So I manually pushed it over to 30000 and put my drill on the back (which apparently spins at 45 MPH) and ran it for another 2 miles while everything appeared to be working again. This problem may return when 39999 rolls around, but it's not likely to be my problem... the bike will be for sale shortly.

On the upside... while I was in there I am replacing all the dash back-lights. 3 out of the 4 were burned out, so I have some slick LED replacements coming.
Also found the wiring glitch in my non-working horn. (It is not uncommon for Police Bikes to hijack the horn switch and use it for their Push-to-Talk on their radios). Sure enough, found the cut wire from the switch, plugged it back onto the left contact on the horn... BEEEEP - BEEEEP, working fine.:)

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
This problem may return when 39999 rolls around, but it's not likely to be my problem... the bike will be for sale shortly.
Didn't you just get that bike?

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
Yeah, it was my transition bike between the V-twin (PC800) and the Flat-6 (F6B) that I really want. :)

I like my ST1100, but I want to do some real touring on it... and there just isn't the storage that I want... especially with the Police bike (no rear rack, and not even a rear seat I could strap things to). My plan right now is an F6B that is a couple years old... there are many out there right now with less than a few thousand miles on them and selling for $11,000 or best offer.

That's the current plan anyway.

Last edited:
Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
can you share a bit more about your LED light upgrade you are doing behind the dash? I had one of my dash lights go out last month so will be digging into that sometime this winter...

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
can you share a bit more about your LED light upgrade you are doing behind the dash? I had one of my dash lights go out last month so will be digging into that sometime this winter...
Just got the bulbs in tonight's mail. I'll update when I get them in.

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
Well, that didn't take long....

Bulbs.jpg

Damn things won't fit:

Too Big.jpg

The openings in the back of the dash are only .510 in size.
Sure wish I knew how big these were before I ordered them.
They were represented as a replacement for 194's.

Ugh.
I've got to get my bike back together, so I'll probably just stick OEM replacements back in. :mad:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
As long as LEDs have been around there's little standardization in size and shape except for the type of base. Most common sources don't give dimensions and more often than not those that do leave out the one spec you really need whatever that may be.

I've been looking for LED bulbs to replace the H1 halogen bulbs in a set of driving lights. A few sources offer some measurements but the only one I really need is the length from the tip of the bulb to the front of the mounting base. LEDs tend to be longer and there's not much room between the glass and the tip of the halogen bulb.

Not to mention I might not be able to cram the 'ballast' into the housing... ohboy.

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
As long as LEDs have been around there's little standardization in size and shape except for the type of base. Most common sources don't give dimensions and more often than not those that do leave out the one spec you really need whatever that may be.
What was most disappointing was that their site labeled this bulb as "Oversize: No."

So I returned them this morning and ordered 4 similar bulbs but with Surface Mount LED's instead.
We'll see if they fit (they too are labeled Oversize: No, but they do look smaller than the previous ones).

wled-cwhp5.jpg

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Looks like you've been shopping at superlightleds.

I got a couple of bulbs to try for the 1300's position lights some time back but never got rountuit and decided I wanted yellow instead.

194 LEDs.jpg

Left to right the bases measure .39" and .36" with the widest part being .43" and .45" respectively.

Looks like your alternates should fit.

Attachments

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
Looks like your alternates should fit.
Yeah, I expect them to.
The first ones I ordered had me pretty excited... until I shoved one in the socket and then tried to push it through the back of the dash.
These are supposedly even brighter and should be small enough.

www.superbrightleds.com

They seem to be a good company to deal with.
Assuming my return goes ok.
The new ones shipped today.

I want to get my bike back together and see if the Odometer works.
Then I'll clean it up a bit and put it on the market.
Don't know if I mentioned it but I bought a Honda Gold Wing F6B last night.
I may keep the ST until next spring, in case my son wants to ride with me in style, and to get a better price for it.

Jim

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
:rofl1: Way to bury the lede! Looking forward to your impressions once we get some dry weather! Congratulations!
Thanx.
Couldn't pass up the deal. (Pics are in that thread on the F6B forum that I linked to).

Fell in love with the F6B that I rented for the day, down in Huntington Beach, but made a promise that I would lose 40 pounds first.
Did that in 72 days! Bought the bike a few days later. Struggled with the fact that I wanted a 2016 in White, but $20k vs. $10,500.... for a bike with only 2700 miles on it... duh. Simple math.

Last edited:
Top Bottom