Sprocket size

Bike
2019 Tracer 900 GT
What difference does a 14 tooth sprocket versus 15 tooth sprocket? I am thinking of buying a 15 multistrada and the owner switched out the sprocket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
It makes a big difference I've dropped one tooth on a couple of my bikes for different reasons. On my Xr650l I wanted a lower 1st gear to keep the rpm up on difficult low speed trails but I do sacrifice top end speed. On my RC51 I wanted to make the bike more comfortable for road use, before the sprocket change top gear was to high at highway speed and getting away needed either alot of clutch slip or alot throttle. I've read the RC does not sacrifice top speed but not tested that, it's stupid fast in any gearing. Changing the front sprocket is quick and easy does the previous owner have the original sprocket?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
even if the original owner doesn't have the original sprocket, they're cheap, and as sky high says an easy job to switch it back to stock if that's what you want to do.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
On my Katana I increased the front sprocket as I was commuting; had a lot of highway to cover - increased gas mileage - plenty of torque to get around on. However riding two up had to go into the higher revs shifting. Like Skyhighs comments if I wanted better low end torque for getting around on different terrains I would drop it back down. Your choice - i'd get a new chain too. Riding style rules - everyone has an opinion.

OP
OP
BigBrownsFan
Bike
2019 Tracer 900 GT
On my Katana I increased the front sprocket as I was commuting; had a lot of highway to cover - increased gas mileage - plenty of torque to get around on. However riding two up had to go into the higher revs shifting. Like Skyhighs comments if I wanted better low end torque for getting around on different terrains I would drop it back down. Your choice - i'd get a new chain too. Riding style rules - everyone has an opinion.
The current owner did replace the chain. Thanks for all the feedback.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom