fork problems.

hi all.
bought a pair of front forks off ebay for my 2001 pan this guy said they were off a police bike and were stiffer .
when i came to fit them a few weeks later i found that the bottom stantion tube was over an inch shorter so now my mudguard wont fit the new forks everything else was ok anybody shed light on this problem many thanks .

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
Did the ebay forks lower the front end?

Bike
VStrom 650
Billy Bop,
You couldn't do a photo could you?
As far as I am aware the forks on the Police spec and civi spec were the same. I can't see why they would be different as the weight on the front of a ST1100P wouldn't be very different, ie strobes and radio head on the left side.
Are you sure they are off a Pan.
Are the forks off an ABS and non ABS interchangeable, I thought they were?
Upt'North.

OP
OP
hi upt north.
dont know how to do a photo forks are non abs everything is the same as my forks.
wheel fits discs fit anti dive fits but the length of the bottom fork tube is about over an inch shorter so my mudguard wont line up .
looking on ebay some forks look a little shorter in length at the top mudguard bracket to the fork leg protecter. thanks bill.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
hi upt north.
dont know how to do a photo forks are non abs everything is the same as my forks.
wheel fits discs fit anti dive fits but the length of the bottom fork tube is about over an inch shorter so my mudguard wont line up .
looking on ebay some forks look a little shorter in length at the top mudguard bracket to the fork leg protecter. thanks bill.
I'm a bit new to the intricacies of ST1100 variants, but I believe there are two different types of mudguard, one piece (as I have on my 1990) and a later two-piece design. Might pay to compare the part numbers on the sticker on the inside of the legs and see if the part number is the same.

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
I've a 2001 non abs, single piece mud guard.

Bike
VStrom 650
Billy Bop,
No I wouldn't have a clue how to load a picture either, I think it's an age thing.....
Can I suggest you visit CMNSL web site there are pics and schematics on there and yes there is more than one part number. You live and learn. I wasn't aware there were different fork lowers but there are apparently.
Happy hunting.

OP
OP
I'm a bit new to the intricacies of ST1100 variants, but I believe there are two different types of mudguard, one piece (as I have on my 1990) and a later two-piece design. Might pay to compare the part numbers on the sticker on the inside of the legs and see if the part number is the same.

hi terry.
on checking the manual i can see that the one piece muddie belongs to the standard and abs tcs models , and the two piece muddie belongs to the cbs lbs abs cs models.
so i must have purchased the forks for the two piece muddie .
the muddie brackets on these forks are bigger and need a larger bolt.
hope this helps.bill.

OP
OP
hi all.
got new fork legs off ebay all good .
seems like the muddie brackets on the legs are smaller on the one piece muddie.
fitted ok all done now many thanks to all who gave advise.thanks bill.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
on checking the manual i can see that the one piece muddie belongs to the standard and abs tcs models , and the two piece muddie belongs to the cbs lbs abs cs models.
so i must have purchased the forks for the two piece muddie.
standard/non-ABS and ABS-I/TCS had 41mm fork-tubes, the ABS-II/TCS came with 43mm ones.

And I also seem to remember a thread about differences of the forks on civil ABS-I/TCS vs the police ABS-I/TCS, but I think this was only about length of springs and spacer tubes.

Top Bottom