Oct 4-8, 2017
Canaan Valley Resort, Davis, WV
Lodging: Canaan Valley Resort
230 Main Lodge Rd.
Davis, WV 26260
Multiple Accommodations Available:
Cabins (2 BRM, 3 BRM, 4 BRM)
WBGVA FALL RIDE 2017!
We had a wonderful time at the Canaan Valley Resort in 2016. So good that we are planning to return in 2017. They have lodge rooms, cabins, and camping available, so something for everyone. The lodge restaurant is very good plus there are several other eating establishments that are available nearby.
Like previous years, we just can't be satisfied with riding in on Thursday, riding Friday and Saturday, then riding home. So we have an 'Early Bird' or bonus day, starting on Wednesday. We can ride the area Thursday through Saturday. If you have the time and inclination, come join us on Wednesday evening and we will get an early bird start on touring this incredible state at the most beautiful time of year.
- Early reservations are recommended. Please contact the Canaan Resort for rates and to make reservations. A group of us stayed in a 4 Bedroom cabin that had 1.5 baths and it worked out to about $37 per night, per person. There were 6 of us in the cabin. For 2017 the same group is planning to stay in another 4 Bedroom cabin and have requested Cabin #10 (no guarantees).
- The lodge has wireless internet access but in 2016 the cabins did not. The cabins did not have TV either. It looked like they were installing cable TV to the cabins while we were there so maybe they will have wireless internet at the cabins in 2017 (wishful thinking). The cabins were well appointed otherwise with a full kitchen and large refrigerator, with icemaker and dispenser.
- Cell phone reception was adequate for Verizon and ATT but there was no or very little data connection at the cabins.
- John Gregory will be in charge of route selection for those that want to do the organized ride. This location is more central compared to places from previous years. We should be able to avoid starting East and finishing West, plus we will be starting in an already Great area.
- We will start each day at a place for Breakfast. The default will be the Lodge restaurant. Pre-ride briefing will be at 8:30 and Kickstands up time will be 8:45. We will announce any changes to the daily gathering place.
- Assuming we have a dozen or more riders in a group, we will use the 'Drop and Sweep' approach to move the group around. It works great as long as a breadcrumb doesn't abandon their post, and allows for safe riding at your own pace.
- Some of the area we will be riding in is in a 'radio free zone' for the Green Bank Observatory. There will be large parts of the day that we will have NO CELL PHONE COVERAGE. We encourage you to ride conservatively on these roads as emergency help will NOT be a cell phone call away for much of the ride.