(800) 622-4121
    http://www.canaanresort.com/

Multiple Accommodations Available:
    Camping
    Lodge Rooms
    Cabins (2 BRM, 3 BRM, 4 BRM)
    Cottages

WBGVA FALL RIDE 2017!

We had a wonderful time at the Canaan Valley Resort in 2016. So good that we are planning to return in 2017. They have lodge rooms, cabins, and camping available, so something for everyone. The lodge restaurant is very good plus there are several other eating establishments that are available nearby.

Like previous years, we just can't be satisfied with riding in on Thursday, riding Friday and Saturday, then riding home. So we have an 'Early Bird' or bonus day, starting on Wednesday. We can ride the area Thursday through Saturday. If you have the time and inclination, come join us on Wednesday evening and we will get an early bird start on touring this incredible state at the most beautiful time of year.

Lodging Notes:
    - Early reservations are recommended. Please contact the Canaan Resort for rates and to make reservations. A group of us stayed in a 4 Bedroom cabin that had 1.5 baths and it worked out to about $37 per night, per person. There were 6 of us in the cabin. For 2017 the same group is planning to stay in another 4 Bedroom cabin and have requested Cabin #10 (no guarantees).
    - The lodge has wireless internet access but in 2016 the cabins did not. The cabins did not have TV either. It looked like they were installing cable TV to the cabins while we were there so maybe they will have wireless internet at the cabins in 2017 (wishful thinking). The cabins were well appointed otherwise with a full kitchen and large refrigerator, with icemaker and dispenser.
    - Cell phone reception was adequate for Verizon and ATT but there was no or very little data connection at the cabins.

Riding Notes:
    - John Gregory will be in charge of route selection for those that want to do the organized ride. This location is more central compared to places from previous years. We should be able to avoid starting East and finishing West, plus we will be starting in an already Great area.
    - We will start each day at a place for Breakfast. The default will be the Lodge restaurant. Pre-ride briefing will be at 8:30 and Kickstands up time will be 8:45. We will announce any changes to the daily gathering place.
    - Assuming we have a dozen or more riders in a group, we will use the 'Drop and Sweep' approach to move the group around. It works great as long as a breadcrumb doesn't abandon their post, and allows for safe riding at your own pace.
    - Some of the area we will be riding in is in a 'radio free zone' for the Green Bank Observatory. There will be large parts of the day that we will have NO CELL PHONE COVERAGE. We encourage you to ride conservatively on these roads as emergency help will NOT be a cell phone call away for much of the ride.

Ride Good!

JohnConner

You meet the nicest people on a Honda!

Bike
    ST-1200
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Re: WV-STOC 5 (10/4-8/2017) Davis, WV

RSVP Added...

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2008 ST-1300
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

And we are Off to the Races!

JohConner

I figured it's not too early to start putting together some potential routes..., might stir up some interest in this thread.

This one includes a brief foray into western Maryland with a lunch stop at the Coal Bucket Restaurant in Kitzmiller MD (the name seems West Virginian). Also something about Fried Meat Ridge Road has me wanting to check it out so it is on my scouting list for this spring.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cana...1812!3e0?hl=en

John G.

Those on the ride with us last year my remember the Saddle Mountain view from US Route 50. I just found this awesome photo of it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Saddle-Mountain.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	179262

Bike
    2006 ST-1300
    My Gallery

Pam and I are in!!! Had a great time last year!!!

Here is a picture of Saddle Mountain in the background when we stopped for a break.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160494.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	179271
    Last edited by JCB; 12-30-2016 at 09:11 AM.
    Friends are like seashells, no two are exactly alike, but each is a precious treasure.

STOC#8078 Black Magic

I've been thinking about this route as well. It includes stops at the Grafton National Cemetery (Civil War casualties buried here, actually the 1st Civil War casuality is buried here), and also the West Virginia National Cemetery in Pruntytown (current Vets are buried here) on a beautiful site btw (some opine it's much nicer than Arlington National Cemetery). And we also have some nice WV twisty back roads on tap here too.

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2008 ST-1300
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by wbgva_roadkill View Post
    I've been thinking about this route as well. It includes stops at the Grafton National Cemetery (Civil War casualties buried here, actually the 1st Civil War casuality is buried here), and also the West Virginia National Cemetery in Pruntytown (current Vets are buried here) on a beautiful site btw (some opine it's much nicer than Arlington National Cemetery). And we also have some nice WV twisty back roads on tap here too.

looks good!

JohnConner

What a beautiful day. I got out for 235 miles of reconnaissance for WV-STOC.

Found Dry Run Rd. (roller coaster), Fried Meat Ridge Road, and Headsville-Fountain Rd. (Mineral and Hampshire counties), good stuff.

John G.

+ New Posts