Turn the key and absolutely nothing happens

I've been riding my ST to work on nearly a daily basis. Rode it on Wednesday and parked it. It literally runs like a top. Went to ride it on Saturday and I turned the key and absolutely nothing happens. Battery shows about 13.5 volts. All fuses are good. I'm assuming it's something simple but I haven't a clue on where to start. It's a 91 ST1100

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
battery should never show 13.5 volts without the alternator running, that's almost a full volt higher than what 6 lead-acid cells create for voltage. I've also seen it happen where I rode the bike home from work, came out 45 minutes later to go somewhere and the battery was stone dead. Battery would be my first suspect, get a set of jumper cables and a non-running car and hook it up.

JPrieST

Don't squat with your spurs on
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
I'm with dwalby. Check the fuses first as they are cheaper, but I lean towards the battery as well. I have ridden all day with many stops. No problem. Stop for dinner and when I came out I had the exact same symptom. When I took the caps off the cells in the battery they were dry. Odd how it did great right up until it didn't.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bike
2010 ST1300
By nothing happened, you mean no lights, no dashboard panel, nothing? Or simply the motor does not turn over? If latter, is the kill switch enabled? If the former, it could be the battery, main fuse, or ignition switch (latter is rare but on a bike 25 years old, any part of the electrical system could be faulty).

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
xteacher said:
I'll take a peek. I don't get any lights, sounds, nuthin!
The kill switch would be the first place I start not because it might be the cause but because it's easy it's close and I'd be hoping by some magic that it fixes the real problem whatever it is. I'd suspect the ignition switch or it's connections before the kill switch.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
All of the posts previous to this one are good points, 12.5 to 12.8 resting voltage, the kill switch. Does it make any sound when you hit the starter? Does it turn over? If you find that 30A fuse blown before you read this is my bet.

Bike
92 ST1100
The kill switch would be the first place I start not because it might be the cause but because it's easy it's close and I'd be hoping by some magic that it fixes the real problem whatever it is. I'd suspect the ignition switch or it's connections before the kill switch.
....another good place to start......kill switch completes the 12v circuit, even with bike running. Cruddy contacts WILL incomplete the 12v circuit.

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
When I had my nothing happen moment it was because of a blown fuse from an accidental short. Check the 30amp fuse in the starter relay - ALL power runs through that if I recall correctly.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
The fact that your bike is utterly dead - no instrument lights or anything suggests to me that the issue may be with the battery cables themselves. Forgive me if this info seems obvious but the negative ( - ) cable (usually has black coloured connectors) should bolt to the bike frame so where fairly close to the battery itself and the positive ( + ) - usually a red connector - should go into some circuitry.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
The fact that your bike is utterly dead - no instrument lights or anything suggests to me that the issue may be with the battery cables themselves. Forgive me if this info seems obvious but the negative ( - ) cable (usually has black coloured connectors) should bolt to the bike frame so where fairly close to the battery itself and the positive ( + ) - usually a red connector - should go into some circuitry.
+1- ST1100s are bad about this. Happened to me. Clean and tighten the battery connections at both ends. Mine was loose at the frame ground. Deader than a hammer, cleaned and tightened, good as new.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
battery should never show 13.5 volts without the alternator running, that's almost a full volt higher than what 6 lead-acid cells create for voltage.
Very true. So the voltmeter is reading about a volt high. I would get a second voltmeter and read the battery voltage again.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks guys. Great suggestions. I haven't had much chance to look at it yet. But at least I have options now!
So what do you mean that " nothing happens " ??? You need to define the problem better before we can give you some intelligent troubleshooting suggestions.

Do the instrument lights come on ? Does the horn work ? Headlight ?? Does the solenoid "click" when the starter button is pressed. Etc, etc, ......

And try this : Turn the ignition switch on , press the starter switch ( and keep it pressed ) and turn the handle bars back & forth. Did the starter engage ??

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Very true. So the voltmeter is reading about a volt high. I would get a second voltmeter and read the battery voltage again.
even my free Harbor Freight multimeter measures DC voltage to within a couple hundredths of a volt vs. my Fluke meters. DC voltage is a slam dunk in the instrumentation world, this would be a waste of time and money unless you happened to already have a second multimeter available at no cost. FWIW, I have 4 multimeters, in DC volts they all read either identical, or so close that its meaningless.

edit: if in addition to battery trouble, you have animals burrowing under your lawn, this Fluke meter may be able to detect even the smallest of weasels.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/5816569639.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom