Turn the key and absolutely nothing happens

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
The AGM I ordered via amazon had enough charge to start the bike - if yours doesn't and you have to jump the bike from jumper cables to a car, be sure you do NOT have the car running. Just use the voltage from the car battery, as the charging system on the car can damage the motorcycle's electronics.

OP
OP
Thanks for the tip.
The AGM I ordered via amazon had enough charge to start the bike - if yours doesn't and you have to jump the bike from jumper cables to a car, be sure you do NOT have the car running. Just use the voltage from the car battery, as the charging system on the car can damage the motorcycle's electronics.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
SNIP .....if yours doesn't and you have to jump the bike from jumper cables to a car, be sure you do NOT have the car running. Just use the voltage from the car battery, as the charging system on the car can damage the motorcycle's electronics.
I highly disagree. The charging voltage of the car is regulated. Running the car won't hurt a thing while jumping. The voltage will be about the same as when the motorcycle is running and the motorcycle's alternator is charging the battery.

One thing you don't want to do is connect a battery charger unless you have a battery installed that will take a charge. The battery will limit the voltage. I know someone who learned about that the hard way. He had a battery that had an internal open circuit and connected a battery charger to the battery , then tried to start the car. The result was that the voltage out of the battery charger was about 18 volts and that fried his ECM.

Last edited:

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
"...... It's a bad battery....."

As always, check the easy ones first!! Vast majority of "electrical issues", IMHO are related to the battery.

Rod

Bike
2010 ST1300
"...... It's a bad battery....."

As always, check the easy ones first!! Vast majority of "electrical issues", IMHO are related to the battery.

Rod
+1; or corroded connections (grounds because copper to aluminum or copper to steel connections + water or dampness = galvanic corrosion)

Had a very similar situation.........Started in the morning........three hours later....nothing...I mean nothing...........It was the battery.......only one year old.....replaced it all is well.....

Top Bottom