Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
That is a good price. I buy mine from Motorcycle Tire Store. $326.18 is there price. Free fast delivery every time.

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I bought my 06 ST in June 2016. Immediately purchased Michelin Pilot Road 4GT's the first week, even though my bike came with new Dunlops. The rear Dunlop failed at high speed the first week of ownership. The sidewall separated from the tread on an 80 degree Sunday afternoon. I have over 14k on my Pilots. Bought new pilots today, Jan 10, 2018. What a great tire. Well worth the extra 40 or 50 dollars per tire. This is not an endorsement, just my personal experience. Special note: At 61, I ride aggressive. So, yes. I am impressed Michelin. One day, during heavy rains, I rode 100 miles at high speed. The bike responded well with these tires. I felt at ease. For me, the extra dollars are well vested for the return of handling, confidence, longevity and quality.

Bike
2012 ST1300
I have 2012 when factory tires were showing white I replaced them with Pilot 4. I have to say that best tire I have ridden on ST1300 or my previous ST1100. What amazes me most is wet condition grip. I now live in Texas compared to Arizona previously and my experience with Rain was limited. I was never very confident in rain on my ST1100. The ST1300 did not change that till my first set of Pilot 4. I only worry these days about passing Semi's pushing major water volume in very heavy down pour.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I bought my 06 ST in June 2016. Immediately purchased Michelin Pilot Road 4GT's the first week, even though my bike came with new Dunlops. The rear Dunlop failed at high speed the first week of ownership. The sidewall separated from the tread on an 80 degree Sunday afternoon. I have over 14k on my Pilots. Bought new pilots today, Jan 10, 2018. What a great tire. Well worth the extra 40 or 50 dollars per tire. This is not an endorsement, just my personal experience. Special note: At 61, I ride aggressive. So, yes. I am impressed Michelin. One day, during heavy rains, I rode 100 miles at high speed. The bike responded well with these tires. I felt at ease. For me, the extra dollars are well vested for the return of handling, confidence, longevity and quality.
You think you gain confidence and quality with the Michelin's, next tire change try the Pirelli Angel GT tires, you'll never look back.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It's a good price but still $100 more than a set of T30s which I prefer over Michelins.

Bike
2008 ST1300
EDIT: Also, why not move up to the new PR 5 ??
I just read on Michelin's site that the new Road 5 is not yet available in the 'GT' version for heavier bikes. It won't be out until sometime in 2019.

From Michelin's own site:
"MICHELIN Road 5 Standard versus the GT version

The above sizes of MICHELIN Road 5 tires are designed for naked bikes and roadsters such as the Triumph Street Triple and the Suzuki SV650.
Heavier grand touring bikes such as the BMW R 1200 RT or the Kawasaki 1400 GTR require the GT version of MICHELIN Road 5, which will become available in 2019. Until then please choose MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT tires."

http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/motorbike/michelin/desktop/US/en/tires/products/road-5.html#

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
To me, there is just something about Michelins. I've used them since 1974. Whenever I have deviated from Michelins I've been sorry; bikes or cars. I guess their marketing has worked on me.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
To me, there is just something about Michelins. I've used them since 1974. Whenever I have deviated from Michelins I've been sorry; bikes or cars. I guess their marketing has worked on me.
That's me too. I run Michelins on everything, both cars, the ST and my bicycle!

Bike
GL1800/ST1300A
STOC #
That's me too. I run Michelins on everything, both cars, the ST and my bicycle!
What kind of mileage are you getting on your PR4GTs?

I have Bridgestone Battlax T30 GTs and the rear is showing massive wear in the middle at close to 2700 miles. I do ride slightly spirited on Arkansas roads that are warm and made out of chip seal. So far, the front tire is in good shape, but the rear is very disappointing for such low mileage.

Scott

Last edited:
Bike
Honda ST1300
I have a pair of Michelin PR4 GT's waiting to go on. They are amazingly confidence inspiring in the wet. I am quite sure that other manufacturers are good too, but confidence is a big thing for us motorcyclists. £228 for the pair and I will slip the guy who puts them on for me £15. No idea how that equates to US dollar, but more than happy to pay a premium over others for the peace of mind. I highly recommend them.

Last edited:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I got a set for $335 shipped Revzilla did not have the rear in stock got mine from Chapparal racing Dave the T30's just don't last long enough but are a great tire.

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
My racing days are 20 years to the rear but I worked with both Dunlop and Michelins over the years. Switching as needed to get the best contingency package for the season.

In my experience, the Dunlop were a little down on total absolute grip but would give you more warning when approaching the edge.
The Michelins allowed a bit more speed before they started to loose traction but when they went, you were gone.

In my earlier days racing, the Dunlop were easier to work with as they gave much more feedback when starting to squirm and were more forgiving when on the limits. Later I preferred the extra grip of the Michelins despite the extra touch needed for control when sliding.

Now I'm not so worried about control and feedback when at the limit. Absolute grip and handling characteristics are more important.

When I purchased the FJR1300 a few years back, it came with a set of Metzeler tires (IIRC) that WOULD. NOT. turn in or hold a line. Had to push the bike down all the way through a turn.
Replaced the Metzelers with a set of Michelin Pilot Road GT 4s and it was a new bike. Handled beautifully.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
What kind of mileage are you getting on your PR4GTs?

I have Bridgestone Battlax T30 GTs and the rear is showing massive wear in the middle at close to 2700 miles. I do ride slightly spirited on Arkansas roads that are warm and made out of chip seal. So far, the front tire is in good shape, but the rear is very disappointing for such low mileage.

Scott
I haven't used a PR4GT yet. But, I've gotten 10 to 12k miles out of every set of PR2's and 3's I've used.

Bike
Honda ST1300
PR4's now fitted and scrubbed in. They have a wonderful, quiet and secure feeling. Got a hundred miles on them in the dry and they very quickly became secure on the road. They suit this bike well. I would say that they transformed the bike, but in all honesty the weather prevented me pushing it hard on the Bridgestone's. I got 6k miles out of a pair on my Versys 1000 which was better than any other brands before. I will give an update after my short break in Scotland this month.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Have a pr4 front tire that is due to be replaced.....almost 10k on it....

ToddC

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I was going to replace my T26's with T30's but I'd like a tire that doesn't follow tar snakes as bad as the T26's.

Can anyone comment on how the PR4's are with respect to this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom