Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT

omniron

...rider of V'GER
Bike
18 Kawi Ninja H2SXSE
Tar snakes are like teflon. I have had some heart-stopping moments hitting them in curves. I don't think any motorcycle tire can handle them very well.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Agreed. I just don't remember actively avoiding them on my Anakee II shod Tiger.
The first time I encountered them on my ST I was really taken by surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A
I was going to replace my T26's with T30's but I'd like a tire that doesn't follow tar snakes as bad as the T26's.

Can anyone comment on how the PR4's are with respect to this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A little squirrely if you try going over tar snakes at 80 mph, but very stable between 60-65 mph!

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
The PR4 GT gets my vote and an additional 5 stars!!

Had them on my last 3 bikes. However I always research at tyre change time to see if there is a better new hi-tech tyre around. Currently the PR4 GT is my choice. I particularly like their performance in wet conditions.

D

STOC #
Well got the pr4 gt tires on and only have 200 Klms on them so not any real revelations yet. I thought the angel gt were softer feeling than the bt023s and these maybe more so. I will find out quick though as leaving on 10k Klm trip out west next week.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Took the new PR4-GTs out for a easy run this morning. I'm amazed the handling is so much more neutral. The BT-023s always felt like once turned in they were committed. The PRs don't feel that way at all.
I'm very happy with them so far. I'll report back when we return from Ashland OR next Sunday :)

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Back last night after putting 2300 kms on the new PR4 GTs. In short, they are awesome tires. We were two-up, fully loaded for nine days. I didn't drag the pegs anywhere but I was close a few times.
I loved how they tracked straight, even over the numerous steel bridge decks and coming on and off the ferry.
I am very pleased and highly recommend these tires. Expensive but completely worth the peace of mind and expected longevity.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Just took off a pair of PR4GT's. The front had 12000kms (7500 miles) on it and the rear had 9000kms (5400 miles) on it. Both had about 15% wear left if you extrapolated the remaining rubber as a percentage. The handling had gone typical PR4 (for me) in that the bike would be difficult to initiate turn in and then fall into the corner. Overall, I am done with PR4's. Expensive and low mileage (in my experience). The PR4 that I replaced with the last one only lasted 4900 kms (barely 3,000 miles) and I had to replace it in the middle of a trip. Previous to the last set of PR4's I had tried a set of Pirelli Angels (no significant improvement over PR4's) and Metzler Z8 front /Roadtec 01 rear. I had to swap them out before they wore out due to an upcoming trip. They are not inexpensive either but I would like to try them again. Still can't get the 01 in 18 in. I mounted a set on my Blackbird so will see how they go there.

So I have just mounted a set of Bridgestone T31GT's on the ST. We will see how they work. Decent price (especially taking into account the $50 rebate).

Of course, like all new tires, they feel great......now. We shall see what they are like a few thousand kms down the road.

Bike
VStrom 650
Husoi, it sounds like you are experiencing "wobble and weave". Wobble is a low speed weave and Viccy Verca.
If the behaviour appeared with the Michelin's then it's the Michelin's. Some bikes behave differently on the same tyres, it's difficult to say why, they just do. Some will say, check this, check that etc. But if started with these tyres then it's probably tyre related.
Thankfully on Bridgestone's my 11 is rock steady at all speeds and loads etc, on T31's now which are wearing well.
Just because someone else thinks Mich's are great doesn't mean you or your bike will. As long as you keep both hands on the bars wobble won't kill you, weave is a different beast, so ride at a speed where it doesn't occur.
Can I suggest you search the interweb for the Murray Walker/Dunlop video on the subject, it's fascinating in a Muddley Talker sort of way.
Your symptoms are identical to my CBF1000, although the wobble was more pronounced than the weave, the problem came with Mich's and went with Mich's.
Hope it helps,
Upt'North.

Just seen that yours is an 08 bike too so shouldn't have the inherent weave issues if the engine torque procedure hasn't been messed with. I can't remember too much about this, malt must have got to that part of my grey matter, but earlier bikes did have some issues and I believe engine mount tightening procedures were altered.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300
I am kinda in the same boat ..... but what is better and how are people getting 10000plus ?
Yup, me too. I've gotten 6,000 miles on each of two PR4 GT rears, 10,000 miles on two fronts. Gotta find something that lasts longer. My tire cost is about about half of what I spend in gas over the same milage.

Bike
VStrom 650
Yup, me too. I've gotten 6,000 miles on each of two PR4 GT rears, 10,000 miles on two fronts. Gotta find something that lasts longer. My tire cost is about about half of what I spend in gas over the same milage.
The T31's are lasting well and showing no signs of strange wear after about 4500 miles, I would say they are about half worn. This is non GT on a ST11 non ABS. All the miles have been done two up with plenty of luggage and lots of the miles on Alpine passes which are not easy on tyres. My 023's would have been changed by now.
Give them a whirl.
Upt'North.

STOC #
Ok so back from 11000 Klms trip out west on the pr4’s which were put on right before the trip. They are good tires with no complaints. They give more road feel than the angel gt and the bt023. At 10k they started the pr4 howl in corners, but doesn’t bother me yet. They have lots of tread left and the front is just starting to get some mild cupping. The one thing that stands out with these is they seem to handle tar snakes better than other tires. Can’t go wrong with these but I may try the T31 evo next time just to see what they are like

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300a
I'll be putting on a pair of PR4GTs on my 04 this week. The posts from everyone on this thread has been really helpful!

Top Bottom