Has anyone repaired a 40A field coil wire themselves?

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
If I am able to pull this apart and repair the wire, I will be able to put it back in service.
IMG_20161026_194557.jpg
However, in the event I can't repair this without special equipment, and you have a rotor assembly you don't need, I'd be happy to buy it from you. mod

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Maybe a local re-builder can fix it for you? There's a shop near me that does alternator, starter and other electrical component rebuilds for local garages. The ST's 40A alternator is very automotive so should be familiar to a re-builder like that.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
You are right. Being air cooled and similar internal components, I will inquire. It doesn't look like I'll be able to get it apart without completely destroying something else. At the absolute worst expense for replacement, Partzilla has a rotor assembly for 180.00.

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
Here's a linky from ST-Riders.net On the rotor that I gave you, it has a break that is farther away from the commutator ring than in the linky. The break occurred close to where the wire enters the windings. I did not think that I could repair the break without damaging the windings, so IMO the rotor needs to be rewound.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
You know I saw that link in all of my recent reading, but I'd forgotten it. I was hoping for someone who was successfully able to pull the two halves apart on the rotor assembly. Since I seem to be the first one to explore and document a 28A alternator re wiring, the likelihood that someone without the proper puller is going to be be able to open this. I live in a dream world for being able to fix everything.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Having made contact with Ken, an alternator rebuilder in Northern Indiana, sends out the field coil to be rewound on the 40A alternator. I know it has been at least 6 years that he has not done them, so it must be really undesirable. I'd still like to know how it's done.

Top Bottom