AMA Roadside Assistance

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Has anyone had the 'opportunity' to use the AMA (as in American Motorcyclist Association) Roadside Assistance program? I'm just curious if it works or does Bubba show up with a wrecker and chain to drag off your motorcycle? :D

Last edited:
Bike
st1300 vfr800
I have always had them arrive with a flatbed or a proper trailer to tie down the bike ,seemed to be a great deal and was part of my membership .

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
Recently renewed my CAA Roadside coverage and investigated the motorcycle provisions at that time. The details as presented to me are as follows. My cost was $140 for 'Plus' coverage (which includes Motorcycle towing) and I used the service to flat bed a 4 wheel drive f150 a week later (would have cost $120). The service partners with AAA south of the 49th and the AMA website also displays the CAA logo. I've only had to use it once in the U.S. (just outside Chicago) and it worked without a 'hitch'.

CAA

To use roadside assistance:

• The member must be with the vehicle
  • The vehicle must be plated (dealer plates or temporary permits are accepted)
  • Tow destination does not include salvage yard or storage facility
  • If assistance is required for RVs, trailers, $25 dollar upgrade is required on any package excluding Basic
Basic

• $ ?
  • 4 service calls
  • up to 10 km/tow to residence or garage
  • Over 10km is $3+tax/km

Plus
Service calls anywhere in Can/US

• $114.00 +tax/year
  • 4 service calls
  • up to 200 km/tow to residence or garage
  • Over 200km is $3+tax/km
  • $84 for additional user to plan

Premier

• $144.00 +tax/year
  • 5 service calls includes one long-tow call up to 320km
  • $114 for additional user to plan

Corporate (for some companies or for any university/college alumnus)

• $132.00 +tax/year
  • 4 service calls includes one long-tow call up to 300km
  • $98 for additional user to plan
Additional features include:
? $20 oil change at any CAA approved lube company
? $100 discount on travel packages over $1000

To use CAA for motorcycle roadside assistance, a Plus, or higher, package must be purchased.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Phil, I've had it for 5 years and was wondering the same, since I've never had to use it. A couple of months back, we helped a couple find a local tow company, when AAA told them it would be the next morning before they could send help. I think they swapped over to AMA, just from the bad experience with AAA.

John and Janis

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Phil just double check which AMA coverage you have Bones had just what ever came with his membership and it was pretty useless. I use AAA 100 mile free tows I think its 4 and 1 of the 4 tows can be 200 miles per year. And when my alternator went on my 03 I rented a U-Haul to get it home and AAA covered the cost under the trip interruption plan.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I have insurance from Rider Insurance Company. The one time (so far) that I used their road service was when I got a flat about 1 mile from home. Within 1/2 hour they had a truck pick up my bike and bring it home. The truck was basically a large pickup with a hoist specifically designed for a motorcycle. A ramp was lowered to the ground, the bike rolled on, which took 2 of us to do it, strapped and then lifted into the bed. The process was reversed back home.

It cost me nothing, but I did tip the driver. I was very happy with Rider and the tow service they called.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Phil just double check which AMA coverage you have Bones had just what ever came with his membership and it was pretty useless. I use AAA 100 mile free tows I think its 4 and 1 of the 4 tows can be 200 miles per year. And when my alternator went on my 03 I rented a U-Haul to get it home and AAA covered the cost under the trip interruption plan.
That's what I was wondering - I am curious about the AMA plan not the AAA plan. I'm aware of the other plans available but am curious if the AMA plan offer is just another piece of marketing to get you on automatic renewal.

Last edited:

v8-7

Site Supporter
For what it's worth, I have Geico insurance and it is $10/year extra to get emergency service.

"Covers up to one hour of labor at the place of breakdown or if it will not run, towing to the nearest repair facility. "

Hope to never find out if it is any good.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have never used it for the bike but I have used it for my truck. That's the beautiful thing about AMA roadside assistance. It works for any vehicle.

So sorry I can't answer your question directly, but for $50/year it's well worth the AMA membership for that reason alone.

When I had my truck insured with Progressive their roadside assistance only covered vehicles insured with them. Found that out the hard way when I got a flat on the bike.
So you've used it (the motorcycle membership) for your truck? And it worked fine then? Was it a tow or just assistance?

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Steve - Was that at the Moonshine situation?

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Yes it was and they were no help at all. But there is a higher level of coverage that he didn't have. Not sure how good or bad that is.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
We have AMA and have used it for my wife's car twice. Quick and efficient. We chose it because it includes trailers and we haul a couple of nags around with our truck. Never needed it for the bike as yet.

Greg

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I'm confused. As far as I know AMA only offers one plan, there is no choice.
I don't know Landon I know when Bones was broken down on the side of I70 in East St Louis the AMA plan was no help to him. Thanks to a couple of phone calls ad Dinkey Diesels help we got a tow from a local Honda dealer. The AMA plans was of no help. I don't have the AMA roadside assistance so only basing my words on what I witnessed with Bones.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
I used AMA towing when my fuel pump gave it up. I was in Savannah, Ga. Guy named Scooter showed up with a flatbed. He tilted the bed and had me drive up. The plan was, I was to hit the brakes at the top near the winch, and he would level bed and then we would tie it down. I got up that thing (it wasn't that steep) and hit my brakes and proceeded to slide all the way back onto the pavement due to all the oil on the diamond plate deck. By the grace of God I didn't dump it. But back to your question, I thought the AMA dispatcher did a great job with coordinating a tow. She called me back to confirm everything etc. I will renew when its due.

Top Bottom