Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Maybe its a difference in generations but I have less concern about using a CC than a check. A check has every bit of information on it that a criminal would need to utilize your checking account online. There is no protection on a checking account where almost all major CC companies offer fraud protection.
But your written check doesn't usually end up on line - it would require the 'receiver' to be of criminal intent - which is possible ... BTW, I'm a computer tech with 40 years+ experience so I have seen a lot of hacking going on over the years! :D

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
But your written check doesn't usually end up on line - it would require the 'receiver' to be of criminal intent - which is possible ... BTW, I'm a computer tech with 40 years+ experience so I have seen a lot of hacking going on over the years! :D
My written checks certainly end up online and I bet yours do also. I can log into my banks website and view copies of checks written from my bank account. That means its on a server somewhere and can just as easily be hacked as credit card info if someone wished to do so.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
My written checks certainly end up online and I bet yours do also. I can log into my banks website and view copies of checks written from my bank account. That means its on a server somewhere and can just as easily be hacked as credit card info if someone wished to do so.
I understand that the bank has the image but if they get hacked, then there are lots of bigger issues and the Feds come looking. They constantly fight the hacker battles on a daily basis, the AMA, I'd bet not so much ... :D

Bike
2021 KTM 890 Adventu
I am an AMA member set up with automatic renewal.
They send notice of pending renewal charge and I can opt out at will.
I ran out of gas 8 miles south of Lake Park GA on I-75 on a Sunday evening at 8:30
I called AMA roadside assistance and they sent a wrecker driver to me with two gallons of gas.
All I paid for was the gas.

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
I'm late to this thread. A few years ago State Farm added towing to their coverage. I called my agent to check the fine print but said he didn't much about the motorcycle package, but would check.

I asked the following.

Does it cover mechanical breakdowns?

Is it one policy one bike?

Are there any mileage limits? Or is it to the nearest dealer?

Does it work in Canada? Mexico? Nobody does anything down that way, so I'm gonna say Mexico not gonna happen.

These questions are essential for Long Riding. In my case I have 3 bikes, 3 different brands. In the open market I'd need 3 different plans. I gotta have insurance anyway, so it worked out for me. Never had to use it, but dry runs on the 800# went well. Meaning they would send a truck. Now what kind of truck I dunno.

In the old days Honda offered a plan through their rider's club, and the deal was to the nearest dealer. Many of us here could be hundreds of miles from a dealer, so that was important.

Lemme ask this Uncle Phil, is their something wrong with the Progressive program?

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm looking for 'for sure' coverage when I make another trip to Alaska. 30-50 mile limit is pretty well worthless in BC, Yukon, and Alaska. The whole point of the thread was whether or not the AMA plan was worth letting them hold onto my credit card number in this world of hacking. Since AMA appeared to be a 'mixed' bag, I chose not to do the auto renewal but I did manually renew. The 'Honda' plan is still out there so I'll probably go for that at some point.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
I'm looking for 'for sure' coverage when I make another trip to Alaska. 30-50 mile limit is pretty well worthless in BC, Yukon, and Alaska. The whole point of the thread was whether or not the AMA plan was worth letting them hold onto my credit card number in this world of hacking. Since AMA appeared to be a 'mixed' bag, I chose not to do the auto renewal but I did manually renew. The 'Honda' plan is still out there so I'll probably go for that at some point.
The Honda Roadside Assistance plan is great for its no Mileage limit on towing to nearest Honda dealer, but be sure that you carry battery jumping devices with you. No jumping by the service.

Bike
91-ST1100 & PC800
STOC #
Hi
Dave here AMA#117560 Charter member 42 years. You Bet I have used it and would not be without it
they will tow anything you have MC, Car, Truck even an RV used them over the years 4 or 5 times
not always my vehicle they never gave me any trouble.
Go for it.

Top Bottom