Need some inputs on my plan for a trip next year

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
You need to include The Arches National Park in Moab, UT in your agenda.

It is going to be hot as hell out there at the end of June. Be sure to have a cooler full of water or some other means of hydration. Plus, you and everyone else in your group needs to purchase, and use, an evaporative cooling vest and bandana. Trust me.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
I personally wouldn't do a trip with that many people...unless I've ridden, fished, ate, camped with them A LOT....some people can't handle heat, some can't handle cold, some get up early, some like to sleep in, some think a hundred miles is a good part of the day, some stop all the time for pictures (I can fall into that category, I like scenery) some people are just inefficient as heck with time management...that'll drive you nuts quicker than anything...and the wives in a van thing is the same....some people want to stop all the time...herding cats........2cents.......ff

Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
I personally wouldn't do a trip with that many people...unless I've ridden, fished, ate, camped with them A LOT....some people can't handle heat, some can't handle cold, some get up early, some like to sleep in, some think a hundred miles is a good part of the day, some stop all the time for pictures (I can fall into that category, I like scenery) some people are just inefficient as heck with time management...that'll drive you nuts quicker than anything...and the wives in a van thing is the same....some people want to stop all the time...herding cats........2cents.......ff
This is exactly right. I'd NEVER try a trip like this without having worked up to it with a series of much shorter trips to test the group compatibility.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I'd have gotten used to it in minutes, if not seconds ...... see ya :rofl1:.

Tom
That makes for a rough thanksgiving dinner when several of them are the wife's family. It's generally a 200 mile trip and takes from 8 AM till 4 PM to complete it.

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
Sounds like a great trip. Wish I was riding with you. I have never done a group ride so can only guess but it will take more planning and someone who is put in charge and all agree on. I would think pre trip meetings and planning sessions attended by all would be a plus. My long trip was to the other coast with my wife 2 up. We had no itenerary just the east coast in S.C. Averaged about 350 miles a day. We spent an extra day on the coast so had to scoot home on the interstate. Yuck but rolled up the miles. Have a great trip. If you make a trip south down the Mississippi look me up.

TPadden

Tom Padden
That makes for a rough thanksgiving dinner when several of them are the wife's family. It's generally a 200 mile trip and takes from 8 AM till 4 PM to complete it.
Everyone rides for different reasons, keeping in-laws happy doesn't even make the bottom of my list. :D

Sounds like a great trip. ....
Sounds like destination Purgatory to me :eek::.

Tom

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
So, my "concerns" are:

On such a journey, [-]does [/-]it [-]usually [/-] will take more stops than planned? Do you spend more time sightseeing than planned?
[-]There's an possibility that our wives go with us but in a mini-van. None of them are capable to ride all the time. Pro: we can make our bikes lighter by putting our stuff in the mini-van. Con: There's an additional "vehicle" to take care and most likely it's gonna slow us down a bit.[/-] forget it
Any experience while riding with buddies where some prefer frugal and some don't? Both will have to compromise, which means nobody is happy.
If some of us want to go left route and some right route - is splitting an option? Sure, waive goodbye and see ya later at home.
Is this whole ride/trip maybe too much for the first time? We all did several 3-4 days trips/rides, with 1K-2K miles. But nobody 7 days or more. If it's viewed as 2 small trips, it might work out.
What's the average daily mileage you did on 2-week trips? Me, with 3 other riders with EXACTLY the same riding style.. 400-600 depending on locale.
Sorry, just being honest.. I say pick 2 other riders that ride like YOU and similar personalities and do the trip, let the others plan their own trip as a separate group.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Guys, you're scaring me! :eek:
Which part? :rofl1:

Hey, the only unsuccessful trip, is one not taken.. You have a lot of variables in your original post that need to be flexible in order to be a fun trip. Just because many of us may just ride with one or two others doesn't mean you can't have a great trip.. Some of us are way too uptight to be flexible and compromising and would not consider that trip... as long as everyone is on the same page, it should work out.. you just have to know you may not see everything you want to.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Afan - We're not trying to scare you, just trying to give you a real look at how it will be before you do it ... :D
I was kidding... :D
The answers I found here are REALLY helpful and to the point. And, most important (if I may say so) if some conflicts happen I'll know what's going on and why is it happening.

Thanks.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The biggest issue will be if one or more of the riders are of the persuasion that everything is a 'hill to die on'. If they are flexible, it may work out. If the only opinion is 'their' opinion, you may 'hear' your mother calling you to come home early ... ;-)

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Sounds like a great trip. Wish I was riding with you. I have never done a group ride so can only guess but it will take more planning and someone who is put in charge and all agree on. I would think pre trip meetings and planning sessions attended by all would be a plus. My long trip was to the other coast with my wife 2 up. We had no itenerary just the east coast in S.C. Averaged about 350 miles a day. We spent an extra day on the coast so had to scoot home on the interstate. Yuck but rolled up the miles. Have a great trip. If you make a trip south down the Mississippi look me up.
In July this year I rode from Mississippi Headwaters @ Lake Itasca, to Dubuque, IA. My plan was to hit Keokuk, IA but something forced me to leave the rest of the plan for some other time. So, next year, before I leave I'll contact you if you would like to join me. I believe Scott from Clinton, IA wouldn't mind spend some time with us? Maybe I convince Bob and Dave (Des Moines, IA) too, who knows... :D

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
BTW, if the "women in a van" thing is something you'd really consider.....those ladies need to spend at least a 3 day weekend together 24/7 to see if they're compatible...a bunch of ticked off women will not add to the enjoyment of your trip....just say'in..........ff

Bike
'08 ST1300
--large group rides? don't do it!! I also vote herding cats--I say two is company; three is a crowd...my 2cents.

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
In July this year I rode from Mississippi Headwaters @ Lake Itasca, to Dubuque, IA. My plan was to hit Keokuk, IA but something forced me to leave the rest of the plan for some other time. So, next year, before I leave I'll contact you if you would like to join me. I believe Scott from Clinton, IA wouldn't mind spend some time with us? Maybe I convince Bob and Dave (Des Moines, IA) too, who knows... :D
Let me know if you make this trip again. Maybe I could join you for a day or two.

Bike
VStrom 650
Failing to plan is planning to fail, who said that.
Anyway for what it's worth I would plan very little. Ensure your bikes are ready, keep the ladies happy and go with the flow. It might be difficult with a group of your size but I wouldn't plan every last stop and viewpoint, a road trip should be easy going and stress free. If you do 150 mi!es and enjoy the day so what. If you don't reach this or that canyon, so what.
Take it easy and enjoy and let people flirt off into the distance if that is what they want to do. I can't think of anything more stressful than thinking you've got to do another 100 miles that day, YOU DON'T. From my limited experience of the States there is accommodation and food everywhere. Like i said for what it's worth.
Upt'North.

perk263

perkSTer
Bike
2004 ST 1300
I think smaller is better for group size. I would let everyone wanting to go on this trip read all of these posts, it might help weed out someone who is a fence sitter and might not help make the trip enjoyable. That point being said one of the best trips I have had was a trip I planned and ending allowing six others to go with me. While I did not get as many miles in as I like to the trip worked out and the other guys loved it and can't wait to go again. Unfortunately I haven't planned a similar trip since. Our trip was a five day excursion from Ohio to New York City.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
Listen to the people here - they are wise beyond their years (and some of them are as old as dirt!!!).

Like them, I've been doing this a long time. That doesn't make me an expert, but I can state unequivocally that if you set out on the trip that you described on your first post, you will have a miserable time and will regret the day you thought of the idea. You will, trust me. The absolute BEST possible scenario I can think of will be that on about day 5 or 6, you will muster up enough courage to tell the others that you love them, you still want to be friends with them, but you simply CANNOT continue on this trip with them, and you are hereby setting out on your own to salvage what is left of your bucket list adventure. Hopefully when you get back, you still have a wife.

How's that for scaring you?

There are just too many personalities. Too many riding styles. Too many expectations. Just too many. And because you are the "organizer", they will blame you for everything. Your organizational skills will drive you to salvage things. You will try to find compromises and you will fail miserably and in the process, make yourself miserable.

If all of you had 50,000 miles of riding together under your belt, it would be totally different. But it's not.

Here is some other advice I can offer:

The more I do this, the less I plan. My Spring 2016 tour, about 10 days and 2700 miles worth, was COMPLETELY unplanned. The only thing my buddy and I knew was the general direction we were heading. I spend my whole life in a box. My every day is planned to the umpteenth hilt. It's exhausting. When I tour on the bike, there are no plans. The unkowning is absolutely exhilarating. In today's world of cell phones, GPS, etc, let's face it, you can't get lost and you certainly have to work hard to find a paved road with no help available. Also, planning to see "this, that, and the other" is a good general idea. But by all means, leave PLENTY of time to just wander. Get to that road crossing, look left, imagine what's around that next curve, and then just do it. Every brain cell you don't use for planning, sticking to the plan, and worrying about the plan is a cell that you can now direct to enjoying the adventure. Look - don't be stupid about it. Have a general idea of which direction you are going. But after that, take a small risk. You will NOT be disappointed. With out a doubt, some of the best stuff I've seen on motorcycle tours - some of my fondest memories, were of things that just appeared on the road out of no where. I had no idea it was there, but I had time and took a chance.

Now - you can't do this ^^^^ with 5 people you haven't ridden with for 2 weeks. You just can't. You could try a simple itinerary - shoot for "_____ place" in a couple of days. Then break off in groups and agree to meet there then. Next meeting is in 3 days at "_____ place". See ya'll then. I've done that and it works pretty good.

As for your highlights you wish to see, I've been to many of them and I can tell you that I could never see all of that in 2 weeks. It's just too ambitious for me. If I'm trying to get somewhere, I can ride 800 miles on the slab in a day and I've done it a few times. I don't want to, though. I'd rather ride 250-300 miles on the back roads and see some stuff. Your list is either 4 weeks, or more likely - 2 or 3 separate trips.

For example - you can (and should) spend a week alone in the western Colorado/northern Arizona/Utah region. Zion, Bryce, Canyonland, Needles Overlook, Cedar Breaks, Monument Valley, 4 corners, Grand Staircase, Natural Bridges, Arches, Million Dollar Highway, north rim of the grand canyon, Durango, etc etc etc - that alone is a week at MINIMUM. If you like to hike - just as a small example, you simply have got to walk up to Angels Landing in Zion. It's a spiritual experience that few people ever know. But that will take you no less than a 1/2 day by itself. It's worth the time - mind you, but time it must take.

Respectfully and with all the friendship I can describe - I think you should re-think this whole thing on a grand level. I'd love to and be happy to share much more with you, but before going down that rabbit hole, I'll refrain to get a better idea of what you are thinking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom