Need some inputs on my plan for a trip next year

Bike
R1200rt
punching in some of the places you mentioned (not all) you have about 5000+ miles round trip. That at 500 miles a day equals about 10 long days of riding and 4 days to sight see. I could spend 2 weeks in Colorado and Utah and still not see everything. With 5 NP in Utah and 4 in Colorado you could spend a day at each one and run out of time. Then if you try to hit all the scenic byways and some state parks that you mentioned I fail to see Why you would bypass soo much unless your goal is to sit on the bike for 14 days. Plan a separate trip to California, Arizona and Nevada during early spring or fall to avoid 100 degree temps. Miles on mountain passes are as slow as 25mph, 300 miles could be a long day. One accident or rock slide could close a road, Million Dollar Hi Way 2015, let alone a mechanical issue with one of the bikes.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
My wife and I did a 5 day ride with a group we weren't familiar with and had a great time. The reason was the "ride your own ride" planning done by the trip's organizer. He booked all the end of day accommodations so we knew where we would meet up at the end of the day, and provided recommended routes for each day composed of the most "interesting" roads. We'd meet for breakfast and then set out, sometimes together, sometimes in smaller sub-groups, or singles, knowing how much mileage we had to make each day, but being able to stop as often, or as seldom as we wanted. We rode some great roads and had wonderful evenings sharing stories about our days.

Bike
R1200rt
"If you like to hike - just as a small example, you simply have got to walk up to Angels Landing in Zion. It's a spiritual experience that few people ever know. But that will take

less than a 1/2 day by itself. It's worth the time - mind you, but time it must take",, PLUS 1 on that and during summer the canyon is closed to vehicles because of the large crowds. Zion is amazing

Bike
2005 st1300
2 weeks for this trip sounds very ambitious. Monument Valley, Horseshoe bend, Zion and Bryce are all close together, but there is so much to see, it will take at least a couple of hours (horseshoe bend), to many, possibly (zion and bryce) that if you saw any one of them in the morning, you wont get to enjoy another that day. Zion is nice to see but if you arent going to hike it, you will miss the best parts. I have spent 2 days photographing Bryce and still didnt get to see all i wanted. While i dont expect you to spend 2 days, my point is I would think it would take 3 days to see at least those 4 places and that is pushing it and after all that you will have only covered a few hundred miles. I was at hoover dam a couple of months back to see the new bridge and I was there 3 hours and the only time I got out of the car was to walk across the bridge. I did the dam tour about ten years ago and I think it was 1.5 hours. Keep in mind that you dont just cross the dam from east to west or vice-versa now... they have closed the arizona access so you now have to enter from the Nevada side, crawl through traffic across the dam, do a u-turn and crawl back across the dam to the same entrance you came in Nevada. Now this is just my opinion, but I would cut it back to maybe 5-7 attractions and space them out. Monument Valley would be great. there is a 12 mile loop you can ride around the park and admission is only $5.00. Plan on a 1/2 day there. From there you could head for Page and if it is early enough, catch Horseshoe bend in the afternoon or first thing in the morning. Its a 1/2 mile hike and can be done in a couple of hours. (Warning: Page is a tourist town and is busy and expensive in the summer, especially weekends). I would avoid Zion because there isnt enough to see from the roads. I would say the same for Bryce, but it is my favorite place to see in the U.S. and I couldn't not go there if I was near it. At least you can ride to each viewing area. Even then, I couldn't spend less than 1 day there...YMMV. Riding through Death Valley would be HOT, but awesome. Pacific Coast Highway... absolutely. Yosemite, absolutely, but again , you are getting in to spending upwards of a day to enjoy it.

Bike
R1200rt
(I would avoid Zion because there isnt enough to see from the roads. I would say the same for Bryce, but it is my favorite place to see in the U.S. and I ] I did Zion when you could drive the canyon, off season, and I did Bryce. spent 2 days and did Angles landing and a few others. Took hundreds of pics. I found Zion better maybe because I was able to tour the main canyon with no restrictions and crowds. You just cant get anywhere in summer. I would like to go back and do the Subway hike if I could find some people to do it with

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks guys for inputs, it helped/helps me to plan the trip better. There are some changes in the trip - I'll explain it later, but nothing huge.
There is one more thing I need help now: since Google Maps doesn't allow more than 10 points/breakpoints/places/... I need suggestion for online maps service or something, I can put the whole route on one map. Suggestions?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks guys for inputs, it helped/helps me to plan the trip better. There are some changes in the trip - I'll explain it later, but nothing huge.
There is one more thing I need help now: since Google Maps doesn't allow more than 10 points/breakpoints/places/... I need suggestion for online maps service or something, I can put the whole route on one map. Suggestions?
Get an older copy of Microsoft Streets and Trips on EBay. The roads in that area probably haven't changed much.

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
I use Google Maps and break the trip into smaller segments.

Wow, pretty ambitious for a group that does not have riders who have already done trips like this. No one has talked about the actual RIDING part of it yet.

Are you members of a club that has education in group riding protocol? Will you ride in formation? If not, stay far from each other. How fast do you plan on going? Is everyone comfortable at the same speed, or will you have a 50mph group/a 55mph group/a 60mph group? Do you have group leaders trained and experienced at leading a group safely? Do you have riders experienced as tail gunners who know how to handle emergencies, lost riders, wrong turns, breakdowns, accident scene management?

Does every rider know how to keep those behind him from getting lost if the group spreads out such as traffic light breaks? Will you be using radios for communication? If so is there anyone you may have to tell to stick to essential communications to avoid driving everyone nuts? How fast do the riders like to go through the twisties? Perhaps the faster riders should be up front. You indicated you will avoid freeways. That has a few down sides. Where are the gas stations? Is it a one hole? If so, leave more time for the stop. How many pumps will be there? Many countryside stations do not have premium gas. Are the stations open? Remember, the next one may be over a hundred miles away (Got pretty burned by that one in the desert in Southeast California).

You have talked about heat. If you are not on interstates, be ready for mountain passes that are snowy or even closed at that time of year. If you have a van, extra clothing will make packing saddlebags easier.

I love group riding vacations, but generally find a half dozen bikes the most if you intend to ride together rather than just "Show up at this hotel". I agree with Uncle Phil. Try a few short rides before you tackle two weeks. Now, after all of this BS advice, have a great time and don't try to cover too many miles and end up missing the scenery.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
Numbersman - I think all of us has alluded to the points you have offered in great detail. You can't just take off on a trip like that with unknowns that can only get solved through experience and miles together.

And on a side note, on that particular trip (out West), if I am forced to ride with the "60 mph group", that is going to last about 30 minutes before I break away. Depending on the road and conditions, I'll be in either the "10 over group", the "20 over group", or the "reasonable and prudent group". That is all.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Try motogoloco. Do a google search. If I recall you have to create a user profile but it is harmless and easy. It uses google maps and you can save them to several different formats for loading onto different GPS units. To prevent the GPS from having it's own way with the route use a waypoint right before every turn.
For our 17 day trip I made a file for each day.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Are you members of a club that has education in group riding protocol? Will you ride in formation? If not, stay far from each other.
- It sounds like Harley-Davidson trip… No, none is a member of any MC (as, I’m pretty sure most of the people on this forum). And yes, we ride with distance between each other.

How fast do you plan on going?
- The plan is speed limit. The least tiring, the best gas mileage and the least chance police will stop us – wasting time and money. IF somebody wants to ride faster it’s his decision but he will wait later for the rest of the group.

Is everyone comfortable at the same speed, or will you have a 50mph group/a 55mph group/a 60mph group?
- Speed limit group.

Do you have group leaders trained and experienced at leading a group safely?
- Nope

Do you have riders experienced as tail gunners who know how to handle emergencies, lost riders, wrong turns, breakdowns, accident scene management?
- Nope

Does every rider know how to keep those behind him from getting lost if the group spreads out such as traffic light breaks?
- Nope

Will you be using radios for communication?
- Yes. We all have SENA. We used it on our short trips and worked just fine. So, previous three questions are covered, right? Of course, if somebody wants to ride faster/slower, or make a stop/sightseeing that others don’t care – it’s his decision. We’re kinda “loose” group.

If so is there anyone you may have to tell to stick to essential communications to avoid driving everyone nuts?
- Not quite sure what you mentioned with this, so I’m gonna skip this one.

How fast do the riders like to go through the twisties? Perhaps the faster riders should be up front.
- Of course.

You indicated you will avoid freeways. That has a few down sides. Where are the gas stations?
- Since all bikes can make at least 250 miles per tank I think we’re covered. And I think there is not much road sections in US with more than 250 miles between gas pumps? (Just don't go picky on this one. ;)) Also, we made kinda “rule”: whoever needs gas – all others will pump gas too, to avoid unnecessary stops just 50-100 miles later. And we will have anyway 2 1-gallon portable tanks, just in case.

Is it a one hole? If so, leave more time for the stop. How many pumps will be there?
- More time at a gas station – more time to stretch legs and take some water.

Many countryside stations do not have premium gas.
- If no Premium, Regular will do just fine. In my own opinion, on these kind of rides, it doesn’t make a difference. Plus, Regular is cheaper! ;-)

Are the stations open? Remember, the next one may be over a hundred miles away (Got pretty burned by that one in the desert in Southeast California).
- Already answered on this one.

You have talked about heat. If you are not on interstates, be ready for mountain passes that are snowy or even closed at that time of year.
- This one actually we (the group) talked about couple times but didn’t plan well in my own opinion. Thanks.

If you have a van, extra clothing will make packing saddlebags easier.
- No van. Wives don’t go. Just “us”.

I love group riding vacations, but generally find a half dozen bikes the most if you intend to ride together rather than just "Show up at this hotel".
- Agree.

I agree with Uncle Phil. Try a few short rides before you tackle two weeks.
- That’s the plan. Some time in April and/or May

Now, after all of this BS advice, have a great time and don't try to cover too many miles and end up missing the scenery.
- Thanks. We plan riding in average 350 miles per day. I think that will give us enough time for sightseeing and roadside attractions.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Back in the '80s we used to ride around with no GPS, no inter-bike communication, no itinerary, paper maps, and somehow managed to stay together as a group and enjoy wherever the ride happened to take us. Things sure have changed.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I think I figured this out. Well, technically I found a website that tells you how to do this. Linky Scroll down to the instructions. If you sign into my google you can create your map. You can only put 10 destinations on each layer but you can have multiple layers showing at one time. And in each layer you can drag the route to the roads you want and they do not count towards your 10 destinations. See the link. It explains things better than I do.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I think I figured this out. Well, technically I found a website that tells you how to do this. Linky Scroll down to the instructions. If you sign into my google you can create your map. You can only put 10 destinations on each layer but you can have multiple layers showing at one time. And in each layer you can drag the route to the roads you want and they do not count towards your 10 destinations. See the link. It explains things better than I do.
Bill, is this link used for mobile devices only, or does it also pertain to desktop Google Maps?
'My Maps' has always been a bit of a mystery to me, even though I use Google Maps all the time. Sometimes it shows up, sometimes not. Sometimes a map you just spent an hour on saves, other times not. etc...

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Bill, is this link used for mobile devices only, or does it also pertain to desktop Google Maps?
'My Maps' has always been a bit of a mystery to me, even though I use Google Maps all the time. Sometimes it shows up, sometimes not. Sometimes a map you just spent an hour on saves, other times not. etc...
I did it on a desktop.

Top Bottom