Brake Fluid Tester - who knew...

Bike
2003 ST1300
Soooo I came across a brake fluid tester on another forum, and thought "of course, why wouldn't this work"...

https://amzn.com/B005HVG4GQ

Did a quick scan here, and found two posts with them mentioned in passing, and haven't heard of this on any other bike forums. With all the anal brake work done on bikes, I would have thought this would have popped up before, so the question arises, how accurate are they? Went through some Youtube videos but apart from some guys saying "see it works the lights go on in old fluid", there isn't much in the way of actual tests, but they should theoretically be easy to test - add x part brake fluid to x part water, change the ratios, see if the lights verify/validate.

Anyone bother using one of these? More of a curiosity for me than anything, I change fluid regularly anyhow.

Bernie

Attachments

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I would say that gadget is totally unnecessary if you change your brake and clutch fluid once a year. The brake system is not truly sealed as there are vent notches in the master cylinders... yes the diaphram does help to minimize air exchange, but somehow that humidity gets in there. I usually buy the smaller bottles of fluid to minimize me having half full bottles..... but I have been known to use fluid from partially full bottles provided I was in control of the bottle, sealed it up right after using some of it (I work on several friends' bikes, sometimes they bring fluid). Don't see the harm in that at all, but again, annual flush will take care of any concern there too.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I would say that gadget is totally unnecessary if you change your brake and clutch fluid once a year. The brake system is not truly sealed as there are vent notches in the master cylinders...
+1...
Especially on motorcycles (or ATVs for that matter) brake system components are highly exposed to the elements.

Over here workshops (and MOT stations) draw a few drops from the bottom of the reservoir (never from the surface), and place them into a tester which measures the actual boiling point of the fluid by cooking it with a small filament.
Results around 180?C/1.5% H?O issue a warning, anything near 150?C/2% H?O means failing the annual inspection over possible brake failure during further usage.

According to the product description does that electronic tester permit up to 3% H?O, before indicating red/replace... way too high IMO...

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Over here workshops (and MOT stations) draw a few drops from the bottom of the reservoir (never from the surface), and place them into a tester which measures the actual boiling point of the fluid by cooking it with a small filament.
Results around 180?C/1.5% H?O issue a warning, anything near 150?C/2% H?O means failing the annual inspection over possible brake failure during further usage.
Wow!!! I'm impressed with that level of testing. Every year. How much does that inspection cost ?

Top Bottom