Unique Headlamp fault. HELP?!?!

step.leahy

ST3P
Bike
ST1300 2004
I hope there is someone out in the extensive ST world who can help me with this issue.
Friday morning my headlights were out. No issues before, just didn't come on when I started the bike. (Of course I was meant to start work early and it was still dark)
(And a note. Not sure if this is world wide but in Aus the headlights are wired on and can not be turned off).
This morning I purchased two new globes. No joy.
The head lamps don't work at all on low beam. Switch to high beam, still nothing.
But if I flick the switch ("Pass"?) I get high beam and the dash highbeam lamp comes on as well. NOT THE LIGHTS???
I've since checked the fuses. They're all good.
Then I've checked the relays. They're all good.
I've got continuity from relays to earth.
I've got the correct volts and continuity for the High Beam relay.
BUT the Low beam Relay is missing the 12V to the White wire. At any time iginition on, ignition off, starter button pressed in or not, high beam on or off. Still no 12 volts.
I'm sure there's a simple explanation/fix.
It's 9pm Sunday and I need the bike tomorrow. I'd rather ride into the city than drive. I'm going to be tracing along all wires removing tuppaware etc. until the sun comes up.
Unless someone out there can give some advice. (I'm taking a break for a few hours so I can finish my tax - It's due in tomorrow).
The next steps is to follow the wire along the loom to any connections including the starter switch to check for faults.

CAN ANYONE OUT THERE POINT OUT AN OBVIOUS (or not so obvious) FAULT THAT WILLCAUSE THIS BEHAVIOR????? :( :confused: :mad:

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've got the correct volts and continuity for the High Beam relay.
BUT the Low beam Relay is missing the 12V to the White wire. At any time iginition on, ignition off, starter button pressed in or not, high beam on or off. Still no 12 volts.
I'm sure there's a simple explanation/fix.
I'm not familiar enough with the wiring of the bike to offer a specific cause, but some general trouble shooting checks might help.

Have you tested the hot (not ground) contact at the headlights? If the ground from the headlight connectors was bad, then they would not light. I suspect this is not the problem because of your comment about the relays. If the high beam relay is ok, and with the high/low switch on high you still get no voltage at the bulb's connector, then the problem is farther upstream.

My bet would be the relay that cuts off power to the lights when the ignition switch is pressed. Not sure where this is, but I would think it is either the ig switch or this relay.

Your white wire noted above, is that for the coil of the relay or the switched power?

Sorry I cannot help more.

Oh, and of course the fix is always simple and obvious after you know what it is. Just like the item you couldn't find was sitting in the last place you looked.....

Bike
VStrom 650
I'm with Uncle Phil,
Spray the switch matey or strip and clean. Had a similar problem on the 1100 and it turned out to be just that.
Upt'North.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
The Honda ST1300 lighting system includes a headlamp disconnect during the engine start procedure. The start button incorporates an additional set of contacts (normally closed) that open when the start button is pressed. These contacts can be come dirty and occasionally need to be cleaned, try a "safe for plastic" spray electric contact cleaner, and spray into the start button switch contacts, you may be successful without opening up the switch cluster.

Here's a link to a simplified schematic of the lighting system, that you may find useful.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
:plus1: on cleaning the starter switch...
The factory wax/grease that Honda uses gets hard and causes the switches and buttons to stick.
This allows the bike to run after starting, but will not allow the headlights, high beam switch, etc. to work while the button is stuck.
Take your finger and flick the starter switch like you would your kid brothers ear, and I bet your lights will come back :rofl1:
CRC makes some plastic safe switch and connector cleaner spray, this works well. You may also try some silicone spray. Just don't use WD40 as it can hurt plastic.
Let us know what happens.
Ride safe
Igofar

Last edited:
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300
This same thing happened to me and it was the start switch. Spray cleaner into the switch fixed the problem. And, it was not a contact problem but was the switch not returning all the way out when it was released. The spray cleaner worked like a lubricant to bring the switch out to the stop. So, a little pull up on the switch should determine if this is the problem.

OP
OP
step.leahy

step.leahy

ST3P
Bike
ST1300 2004
Thanks Thunderchief, Igofar and Anna'sDad, Spot on.
I did stick to the obvious. Even cleaned and reassembled the left switch cluster (Pretty clean to start with).
Checked all the contacts at the plugs and had everything off the left side.
When I confirmed there were no issues I looked at the starter switch as you both suggested. Flicked it and pressed it a few times and noticed it didn't return all the way out all the time.
Turn it on and all it needed was a quick flick. So I've stripped it out and washed down with isopropol achohol and will regrease with petroleum jelly.

Yes punder this is a great forum. If the answers aren't here there are plenty of guys to throw in a suggestion or two.
(PS. The wiring and colours did not match some of the wiring diagrams I've copied. I've got an A1 size copy of one across the freezer in the garage tracing wires and connections.)

Should get it together in time to ride to work tomorrow.:biker:
I took the opportunity to remove the RDS radio as well. So no big loss on the time. (Any one want a Honda RDS radio, or Baehr intercom?)

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Excellent fix on this one gents! I hadn't known about the starter switch - headlight connection issue.

I guess I've never stood in front of the bike while starting it. :D
Pete

Bike
'06 ST1300A
(PS. The wiring and colours did not match some of the wiring diagrams I've copied. I've got an A1 size copy of one across the freezer in the garage tracing wires and connections.)
As the USA bikes don't use the H.I.S.S. ignition lock system, the schematic doesn't include that bit of wiring. Of course if you've noticed other differences in the schematic, I'd like to know, and I'll add them to the drawing.

Glad you've got the headlamps back in order, driving at nighttime without headlamps truly adds to the excitement of motorcycling!

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I've got an A1 size copy of one across the freezer in the garage tracing wires and connections.
After I read your post, my mind kept returning to this comment re paper size. An A1 sheet, is that not similar to our Letter size sheet, which is only 8.5"x11"? You may go blind trying to read the schematic at that size!

Hopefully you downloaded the drawing and printed it, rather than just printing the screen preview image. Once downloaded the drawing can be opened with any .pdf viewer, which allows zooming in for detail, and zooming out for the whole drawing, all whilst maintaining drawing acuity. Of course there is always the option of printing to a larger paper size.

OP
OP
step.leahy

step.leahy

ST3P
Bike
ST1300 2004
I did have some unique issues. We have the HISS and here at some stage our headlamps had to be hardwire on. SO there may be a few differences.
I'll keep in mind update or corrections next time I have it open and get photographs. Mine might be closer to a European adaption.

A1 size paper is and ISO size I think. Landscape it is 36 inches across, so a little easier to read. I think A4 is similar to Letter size.
I've got access to a plotter/large format printer that will print off a 36 wide roll of paper.
I found a good use for the top of the chest freezer in the garage other than just storing meat.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
step.leahy said:
our headlamps had to be hardwire on
Our headlights in the states had to be hardwired on (around 1970-something) as well. The starter switch does turn them off while cranking the engine but otherwise they're on when the ignition is on.

Our turn signals (directionals?) have a running light feature. How 'bout yours? I'm routinely confused as to what countries have what differences in features and wiring.

OP
OP
step.leahy

step.leahy

ST3P
Bike
ST1300 2004
The turn signals (Indicators (here), directionals? (not here)) are yellow and the front ones are in the front fairing of the mirrors (I think you have the same) there are also small lights at the top outsides of the headlamp cluster.
I did have a BMW K1100P prior to the ST and I could turn off the lights. A purpose built Police bike that didn't compy with Regulations?? Who would have guessed??

I wasn't sure about the headlamps needing to stay on and thought that might have been a reason for 4 wires instead of 3. And there's no switch to turn off the lights. The light switch has three positions.
Centred for normal lights (Lo beam), rocks down and catch for Hi Beam, and also rock forward or up (Pass) for Hi Beam but doesn't catch).

The different regulations can get confusing. WE used to have some weird regulations here that were probably just a reflection of our "Nanny State" knee jerk legislation attempting to protect everyone including the idiots.
The regulations also provided some artificial protection for the motor industry here. Most international manufacturers didn't bother exporting to Aus due the unique modifications that were required for such a small market.
The final manufacturers, Ford, Holden (General Motors) and Toyota have all announced an end date to manufacturing here (over the next year or so). The regulations have suddenly been watered down.
It was illegal for me to use a helmet with a DOT or Euro standards sticker on it. I had to buy one here with Aus standards sticker (Same helmet).
It is now legal for me to wear a Nolan N104 helmet with Euro sticker on it (But still not DOT).
The same with vehicles/motorcycles. We're starting to see a lot more variety available and it's a lot easier to purchase internationally and ship here. (Unfortunately we're still right hand drive so practically that means selecting from England or Japan, not sure where else).

I'm glad that I'm not involved in the auto industry. The parts/accessories industry here was bigger than just the manufacturers. They would need Billy Connolly's business plan. I loved it a few years ago and can't find it with audio, but it finishes up with "And stay awake because it's all going to change". Or something similar with more expletives.

Top Bottom