Mileage before Racetech 2nd rebuild?

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
This is a question to all that have had Racetech rebuild your stock rear shock. I have 40,000+ miles on the first rebuild and am starting to get that loosey, goosey feeling from the rear end. How many miles have you put on the rebuilt shock before sending it back in for another rebuild? I called Racetech and was told 20-25K miles was the expected life span of the rebuild. That seems kind of short. They quoted about $180-$200 for the second rebuild and I will most likely have it done this winter. Just curious about how many miles others have gotten between rebuilds.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I had about 50K on the OEM when I had the forks and shock rebuilt, and another 50K when I sent it them in for the second rebuild. I probably should have done it sooner; you don't notice the deterioration in handling as its happening so much as the improvement after the rebuild. At 40K I think you got your money's worth. Race Tech has always sent back my old replaced parts, and there's always been visible wear on them.

Be glad you don't race bikes. Those guys will refresh as often as twice a year all the way up to every race weekend (of course these guys are doing it themselves at that point)! You may be able to soften the blow a little by taking the parts to a local shop to do the work. No freight and less labor if you can take the parts off yourself to bring them in.

OP
OP
mlheck

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
No problem removing parts. I even have a modified spring compressor to remove the spring and preload piston. Need to research if there are any local shops that do the rebuild or if they ship them back to Racetech. If that's the case I'll pay my own shipping and send it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom