Can You Come Back Home to a ST1300? I Just Did.

Bike
2006 ST1300pa
Here's my long confessional :wind1: :

My initial foray into the world of ST's was around 2 years ago when I picked up a 2004 ST1300 garage queen with 5k miles. It was blue, so it was fast. :DBut, my ride buddies all rode HD and things got 'odd.' I sold the ST and picked up a Road King. After my two best ride buddies disappeared (one transferred and one got wiped out in a divorce), I was once again bored with riding a couch. I literally had to make myself ride, which has never been a problem. I thought I might be done and even told my wife as much. Thankfully, she encouraged me to "sell it and get what you really want." She's a smart woman and there is a bit of a history with her and I and scooters. Our first date was 36 years ago on a '75 Honda CB550-four----and the garage has never been completely empty.

At 53, and having ridden since I was 10, I know I'm in the late-stages of my riding and don't want to make any mistakes nor waste any more riding time with something occupying my garage that doesn't move my mojo. To be sure, I looked at the new Milwaukee 8 and could not walk out of the dealership quickly enough. Having already owned an ST (albeit briefly), I initially considered the R1200RT and R1200RT-P (they are dirt cheap here in Southern California). I also stared long and hard at my neighbor's Triumph.....and the Kawasaki Councours. In the end, I came back home. Here was my recent take-away while shopping for another sport-touring bike. NOTE: I decided early on that I wanted to pick up a police model since I keep threatening to update my cert and work reserve (which meant the Triumph and Kawasaki did not merit test rides):

I was lucky, as the dealership had both a '11 RT-P (54K) and a '06 ST-PA (53k). I knew I would have a bias towards the ST1300PA, so I began with a strong lean towards the BMW (you know, something new and different) and started there....

BMW R1200RT-P: "Dang, that's a big ole faring." Real big, as in---"how do I know where to plant my front tire?" Predictably, this initial feeling subsided and things became more intuitive, but every time I got back on the bike (it was an extended test ride) during the day my first thought was "dang, that's a big ole faring---where's my front tire?" This thought kept shooting my through my head to the point that I became distracted with the ergonomics. At one point, I hit the wrong button and triggered the siren. The poor guy in front of me at the stoplight starts trying to move over for me----I'm waving him off, it was chaos for a moment, but telling to me. The boxer motor, however, was a champ----like, really good. And, that sound, oh my. The clutch was buttery (it was a '11 model with the dry clutch), but I'd heard the stories from some buddies who have them for duty bikes and this was a concern without knowing more. The motor officers I know love their duty Bimmers, but none of them own one as a personal ride. Interestingly, 3 own Concours and 1 owns a 1800. That said, the R1200RT-P was "gold, Jerry," on the slab. But, those ergonomics----it just wasn't logical to me---it just wasn't "home." Did I mention that big ole faring.....?

HONDA ST1300PA: "WOW! This just feels right." I actually said this out loud after settling in on the ST. I pulled out onto the street and pulled a small wheelie which was (I swear) unintentional---I just got a handful and she felt really familiar. One could say it was kinda of like hooking up with an old girlfriend, but I am NOT going to say that...but one could, I'm just saying... Having spent the morning on the RT-P, I was ready to spend the afternoon on the ST-PA. It was an incredible feeling. The miles just rolled by and I lost track of time. The ST is even more nimble than I remember. The handling is precise and the torque is there if you keep the needle up. I decided to take the crowded parking lot test and pulled into the busiest hamburger joint I know. There was the usual pandemonium leaving the parking lot and, again, the ST was predictable and---well, just 'money' in every regards. I had two guys chat me up about the ST (it is in traditional enforcement black/white livery, currently), and this was something I recalled about my previous ST1300----folks like them and are not afraid to ask questions.

I walked back into the dealership and my salesman loudly says in front of a showroom full of potential customers on a Saturday afternoon, "SO, LET ME GUESS, YOU'VE DECIDED ON THE BMW!" I laughed and said in matching volume, "NO SIR, I'M GOING HOME WITH THE HONDA AND THE OTHER $5K IN MY POCKET!" :rimshot1:

They had me out of there with completed paperwork in record time! Now, this is not a BMW bashing and I hasten to add that I still like the RT-P and I plan on adding one to the stable as soon as the CalStateU system quits getting all my dough. But, then I also do not plan on ever selling my ST-PA, which was well loved by a small Southern California department. But on this day, I was in need of some motivation and a renewed spirit; the ST was in need of a good home. I'm certainly glad we found each other.

I'll post pictures when my kid visits from college this weekend and shows the old man how to upload pics....

Cheers. :pint

Last edited:

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Did I mention that big ole faring.....?
LOL.
The bike before my first ST (an 1100) was an '84 Shadow 750. It did take a bit of getting used to a fairing but now I ride a 1300 and enjoy all the benefits that come with a nice cockpit.
Glad you found your way back to the fold. Would love to see some pics.

Ride safe.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks for the great write-up! Enjoyed your humor and decision logic (and of course your choice in 2-wheelers).

Top Bottom