Spark Plug Replacement on ST1300

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Has anyone found a way to change the spark plugs on a ST with out removing the fairing side panels? If not is it difficult to remove the fairing side panels any tips? Thanks in advance for any advise.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
All you have to do is remove the little maintenance panels where your knees are.

--Mark

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
All you have to do is remove the little maintenance panels where your knees are.

--Mark
I would not replace them anyway unless your engine performance is down (missing, rough idle, increased fuel consumption) or they have over 100K miles on them. Iridium plugs last a LONG time.
My son's 2002 Civic ran fine at 187k miles on the original plugs.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
We've had this discussion elsewhere, but there are other reasons to replace the plugs than how good the electrodes look.

--Mark

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #

--Mark
+1.

A little tight, but not that bad... if you pull out a wire THEN worry about taking the plastic off! (I'm 2 for 2 on seperate bikes with this strategy). Either way, you'll fare better then taking it to jfheath's dealer!

Bike
05 ST1300 abs
I would not replace them anyway unless your engine performance is down (missing, rough idle, increased fuel consumption) or they have over 100K miles on them. Iridium plugs last a LONG time.
What he said!!!

Bike
2015 FJR1300A

--Mark
x2 : if you've changed your oil successfully, then you can change your plugs almost as easily. Just removed small panels near where your knees go AND remove cover over your spark plugs....and then it's a matter of pulling the
plug wires off (carefully) and the hard part is manipulating the 4"-5" wire end in such a way as to get it out of the recess where the plug is ( wires are short, so it feels like you'll disconnect them ). Just be patient. GOOD luck.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I am thinking that 100K might be a stretch, but the 16K interval given in the maintenance schedule is ultra conservative in my opinion. I think something along the lines of 2X-3X that figure would be reasonable. The 16K specified isn't that much more than the 10-12K that we used to get with the old points, condenser, rotor and distributor cap ignition systems on our cars back in the day. We all expect to do much, much better than that with current electronic ignition and the platinum and iridium spark plugs that didn't even exist for automotive applications back in the day.

Bit of a necro thread but thought I’d share a pic of my old NGK CR8’s next to the new ones I installed last week.

100,000km on the old plugs. They’re a bit gritty but I haven’t noticed much of a change in fuel economy yet- maybe 0.1L/100km- (5.4 vs previous 5.5L/100km)

No doubt they would have lasted longer- but at least I know they come out now- and the new set will last the remainder of the bikes life.
56AA167A-86A7-461B-A696-B08CCC9860F7.jpeg

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The plug on the left looks like a fake knock off NGK plug.
Search the forum, and go to the NGK website and it will show you how to spot the knock off ones.
Hard to tell from the pictures, but the stamps look questionable, the color of the metal is off, the logo is off center, etc.
There are so many knock off’s floating around that I stopped using the brand.
I have been using ND DENSO instead, and have not seen any knock off ones….yet.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I changed the NGK's on my 1991 when I bought it eight years ago next month....17000 miles. Same with the 2006 four years back with just a bit over14000 miles. I'm suspecting both were the factory installed plugs.
Both had the proper number NGK's, I replaced them with new NGK's bought from the dealership in the neighborhood.
Both removed sets, all eight, had more than a little exhaust seepage coming between the metal end and the ceramic insulator. I have never seen this on bike plugs before, mostly NGK's, since I began working on my own bikes back in 1962.
Anyone else experience this?

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have never noticed that before. I think the NGK site describes an issue with spark plugs and their expected life and mentions the potential for collapse of the ceramic if they are used beyond their expected lifespan - rather then the eroding of the electrode. I'm talking entirely from memory, which is never a good thing these days, but I have seen something like that sometime, somewhere. I think. Maybe.
Perhaps the leakage is related to that.

(I used to be indecisive, but now I am not so sure).

The plug on the left looks like a fake knock off NGK plug.
Unlikely- they weren’t bought online but from a reputable local auto parts store- so unless they are buying fakes on eBay- should be good.
Packaging matches the genuine examples shown online.

just my opinion, remove and photo the plugs every off season; it only takes half an hour, and a picture paints... well, what you're gonna face in the spring
I ride all year round- no snow in my location and the minimum temp is just above freezing. I miss maybe 5 days a year riding to work (100km round trip) - only when we get winds at gale force or higher.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Unlikely- they weren’t bought online but from a reputable local auto parts store- so unless they are buying fakes on eBay- should be good.
Packaging matches the genuine examples shown online.
Knock off plugs have been sold by many reputable local auto parts stores (Rock Auto) and have also been sold at Genuine Honda Dealerships, without them even knowing about it.
I've personally seen a case of them being offered for sale sitting next to the sales register at a local dealer. When asked about them, It was explained that the dealership purchased them online for a good price, and was passing the savings on to the customers.
Again, check the NGK sight, you might be surprised.

Last edited:
Fair enough- I went to the NGK website and checked one of the new plugs against their recommendations using a desktop magnifying lamp. Font looks fine, no sign of machining and the electrodes are the right shape - so there's no indication that they are fakes. The more likely issue is the poor photographic conditions in my garage.

Top Bottom