Linked Brakes - Apologies

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
This is not a good way to test the SMC for a couple reasons...
Safety comes to mind first, however, the unit only moves a couple mm before abruptly stopping the wheel (as if using the lever or pedal) a person has no sense of feel pulling that way, nor should he have to apply that much pressure.
Yes, even when the smc fails the function test, a person could still force it hard enough to stop the wheel
Having to use such force would qualify as failing the function test

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
This is not a good way to test the SMC for a couple reasons...
Safety comes to mind first, however, the unit only moves a couple mm before abruptly stopping the wheel (as if using the lever or pedal) a person has no sense of feel pulling that way, nor should he have to apply that much pressure.
Yes, even when the smc fails the function test, a person could still force it hard enough to stop the wheel
Having to use such force would qualify as failing the function test
I've done this test before, with any modicum of common sense nothing dangerous will happen. You don't pull the front of the bike, just the left front caliper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Brake System Inspection:

This model is equipped with a dual combined brake system.
Check the front and rear brake operation as follows:
Place the motorcycle on its center stand and shift the transmission into neutral.
Push the left front brake caliper upward by hand.
Make sure the rear wheel does not turn while the left front brake caliper is pushed.
A picture is shown grasping the bottom of the caliper and lifting up and forward, and a hand checking to see if the unit prevented the wheel from turning.

I can't find any pictures or text suggesting that you should try and stop a rolling wheel in gear :rofl1:

This test should be done with gentle hand pressure.
At no time should you have to apply force to do this inspection.
It should lock up quickly and firmly, if you have to apply more force than a gentle upward push, your SMC could be starting to fail.

Last edited:
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Am ordering .....a Motion Pro bleeding tool ........ For the record, Igofar For President!
May I ask how the President talked you into a Motion Pro rather than a Mighty Vac?

Interested as I am looking at doing same as you. Difference is that my brakes are firms and SMC tight and working perfectly....here at sea level, but not so at altitude. So will try the DIY way this time instead of letting the Pros do it, to see if it makes a difference next time at altitude.

Was looking at getting a vacuum bleeder for the job, but if the President recommends the Motion Pro check valve, maybe there is a reason?

Top Bottom