Infection in my leg

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Well I am back in the hospital since Friday afternoon. I have an infection in my leg I had my knee replacement on. I sure hope the IV antibiotics take care of the infection. The alternative is not good at all.
I seem to be doing much better. The fever and pain were both gone yesterday. They are keeping a close eye on my lab work. I hope I get to go home real soon. But I will listen to the Dr's. I do not want more surgeries to take care of this.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Get this taken care of quickly and I'll see you soon. Wishing you all the best.

Last edited:
OP
OP

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Well I just talked to the DR. All my labs are looking good. I feel great. I thought I was going home today. They want me to continue overnight on these strong IV antibiotics. Then I will follow up in a few days with my orthopedic surgeon. Or back to the ER if I have any problems. I have no idea how this happened. I went to work Thursday night feeling just fine. The next morning I was in bad shape! I am just glad it appears to not be as bad as it could have been.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers! This scared me when they talked about the worse case scenarios. Surgery to remove the hardware. Then two months of antibiotics. Then surgery to put the hardware back in.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Keith... keep the faith, buddy! Positive energy goes a long way in beating anything! Never give up! Prayers for a "complete" recovery this time!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Keith - Sorry to hear about your troubles. My doc told me to take antibiotics even when I go to the dentist. Infections tend to head toward the replacements if they get in your bloodstream. I keep a short supply of them on hand just for good measure.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Keith, I surely hope that the Dr.s treatment does the job. I don't want to cause any alarm, but I will tell you how my father's fight with the same issue went. The outcome was good, but a long time coming.

He had both knees replaced at the same time, and had gone a couple years without issues. While visiting his sister in Florida, he started feeling ill, running a temp. He was diagnosed with an infection and put on antibiotics immediately. He flew back to Ohio and saw his ortho Dr. upon return.

The infection had settled in the right knee replacement metal and the antibiotics were unable to effectively battle it. In order to address the issue, the replacement knee was removed and a temporary, antibiotic infused replacement was installed, along with a port for injecting additional antiobiotics. He had to be very careful when walking as the temp knee was brittle.

The treatment took about 3 months, if I recall correctly. Once the Dr.s felt the infection was cleared, a new knee was installed and antibiotics continued. He made a full recovery.

So, follow the Dr.s directions closely and we hope for the best for you!

OP
OP

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
You are so right sirepair. That is the scary part! They don't think it is in my hardware. And I sure hope they are right. They told excactly what you said as a worst case.
I have had a rough time with this knee. And I sure don't want to have the go through all of that!
They are pumping me full of antibiotics as I type this. I hope to be home tomorrow. And I hope to get the app clear sooner than later.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hang in there bud, you can beat this and looks like you got a good jump on it.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Sorry to hear about this Keith! Wishing you well and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Looks like things are progressing in the right direction. Wishing you a quick and full recovery!

Bike
1997 ST 1100 GL1800
STOC #
Dang it Keith, if you would have had a few sips of that "shine" I offered you Saturday night in Russellville while at TexSToc, this might not have happened. Good luck and speedy recovery.

Top Bottom