Getting ready to do the 40A updgrade and have a question about the bearing.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Though this is on the parts list 91004-MT3-003, I don't understand what it does. Does it aid in assembling the 28A to the 40A somehow, or can it be skipped since I'm getting a refurbished alternator from Ken Heming.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Do you get only the genny, or also the "drive" (the part sitting in the engine case)?

Your bearing is loc #35 in the fice:

http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-3789-13MAJX41-ST1100AY-2000-E__1200-PAN+EUROPEAN+ST+1100+ABS.html
You are quickly becoming folk legend in the alternator forums :)
I just got off the phone with rcb, who recently upgraded his alternator. Turns out there was a nomenclature misunderstanding with base plate and base plate assembly.
He was able to get a 40A base plate assembly for 50.00 on eBay, and the stator from another seller. He did not need everything from the list of parts like I do, adapting the 28A alternator and the 40A when I get the refurbished one back.
Additionally, it would be a miscalculation on my part with a long standing parts list for upgraders to go by to not get a 10.00 bearing, while you're ordering 100.00 worth of other parts.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The assembly that plugs into the engine case and has the split gears that engage the flywheel is usually called the Alternator Shaft Assembly; both the 28amp and 40amp versions. Upgrading to the 40amp requires assembling that version's Alt Shaft Assy with three 40amper parts (base plate, shaft, and the bearing you asked about) and the other parts (common to both versions) transferring from the old 28amper's Alt Shaft Assy.

Martin points out that if you're using salvage parts: get the whole 40amper's Alt Shaft Assy. Can't imagine any breaker/salvage yard disassembling the Alt Shaft Assy to sell you just the 3 needed for an upgrade. Nobody needs the other parts of it separately. Offer 1/2 of the online price for the three parts new and ask for the whole thing. Recommend you get a new o-ring for the baseplate-to-engine seal, and the one for the Alternator-to-base plate seal.

Also, if you are going the salvage route, get the '96-'02 fuseblock and its wiring harness (to starter-relay/main-fuse and battery).

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
The assembly that plugs into the engine case and has the split gears that engage the flywheel is usually called the Alternator Shaft Assembly; both the 28amp and 40amp versions. Upgrading to the 40amp requires assembling that version's Alt Shaft Assy with three 40amper parts (base plate, shaft, and the bearing you asked about) and the other parts (common to both versions) transferring from the old 28amper's Alt Shaft Assy.

Martin points out that if you're using salvage parts: get the whole 40amper's Alt Shaft Assy. Can't imagine any breaker/salvage yard disassembling the Alt Shaft Assy to sell you just the 3 needed for an upgrade. Nobody needs the other parts of it separately. Offer 1/2 of the online price for the three parts new and ask for the whole thing. Recommend you get a new o-ring for the baseplate-to-engine seal, and the one for the Alternator-to-base plate seal.

Also, if you are going the salvage route, get the '96-'02 fuseblock and its wiring harness (to starter-relay/main-fuse and battery).

John
Thanks for the clarification. I recently went through quite a challenge understanding what was needed for the upgrade. Reason, rcb just upgraded and described the process as plug and play, so naturally I was perplexed. Why was it so easy and he didn't remember having to get the before mentioned bearing, I thought, "Why not, it's on the list?"
I did not learn until recently if you have the whole alternator base assembly and the 40 amp alternator, you don't need it. I thought this whole time you had to split the 28A alternator because the engine changed in '96. Now that I KNOW what the proper terms and anatomy are, I have no problem acquiring the necessary parts to do this. The problem wasn't the cost of the bearing it was what it was for if there were already bearings inside the alternator.
I have a week of training with the Civil Air Patrol, when I return, I will likely have received my 40A alternator from Ken Heming and be on my way to combining the 28A with it or have found the salvage option.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Realized I didn't answer your question. I got the generator, so I will either split the 28A base plate assembly with the parts from the list or will luck the base plate assembly and only buy two new gaskets.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I'd like to thank you for the photos from the link below. It's what started the question about the difference between the base plate I thought I needed compared to the base plate assembly.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The problem wasn't the cost of the bearing...
Whenever you manipulate, or pressing/hammering/jiggling a shaft in/out its recommended, suggested to replace the bearing in question...
It are also "good manners of trade/workmanship" to just replace all bearings while already at it anyway... they don't cost much and such practice prevents possible grieve later on...

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I'd like to thank you for the photos from the link below. It's what started the question about the difference between the base plate I thought I needed compared to the base plate assembly.
JuST to be clear, the bearing in question (item 13 in the schematic) has already been installed on the 40amper's shaft in the picture l linked above.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
JuST to be clear, the bearing in question (item 13 in the schematic) has already been installed on the 40amper's shaft in the picture l linked above.
Thanks. So if I'm splitting the 28A base plate assembly option, and ordering the shaft and 40A base plate, I do need the bearing?

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Thanks. So if I'm splitting the 28A [Alternator Shaft Assembly] option, and ordering the shaft and 40A base plate, I do need the bearing?
Short answer: Yes. It's not one of the parts common to both versions that can be transferred.

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Place the new Shaft into the freezer before driving the new bearing onto it with a suitably sized piece of PVC. Are you sure you don't want to borrow the STOC Alt Upgrade kit with all the tools and helpful documentation?

John

Last edited:
Top Bottom