Repair or New Tire?

Bike
2010 Honda NT700V
Had the unfortunate experience of getting a nail in a brand new Michelin PR4 Trail tire. The very first ride on the new tire no less. Needless to say I am just a little upset. $250 for the tire and $40 to mount and disposal.
Called my local Honda dealer, the service guy told me they do not repair motorcycle tires, too much liability risk!

So does anybody fix motorcycle tires? The nail is almost dead center in the middle of the tire, so no sidewall penetration. I could do a plug fix myself, but wanted a patch/fix from the inside of the tire.
Losing a $300 tire just grates on me. GRRRRRRRR!!!:mad:

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: Repair on New Tire?

In this instance I've used a gummy worm repair and rode the tire until it's time for a new one.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
One of my bikes is running around on a plugged/patched tire. I've had other plugged/patched tires last the life of the tire. As long as the puncture is in the tread (not sidewall).

You should be fine, you just need to find someone that can fix it for you!

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
Re: Repair on New Tire?

Have ridden a plugged tire but had a friend at Goodyear who did it for me, they had a Patch/plug that looks like a nipple, patch on the inside and the nipple goes thru the tire. It was simular to this https://www.amazon.com/Stop-Go-1085-Deluxe-Repair/dp/B00ZPITSKK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1478708703&sr=8-7&keywords=patch+plug+kits
Had this done to 2 different rear tires on my ST1300. 1PR4, 1T30. Get a motorcycle shop ( likely a small independent one) to use the nipple type ( looks like the rubber TEE that is used in the mat at a golf driving range). In my cases... the $20 spent saved me ....one only had 250 miles on it. OUCH !

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Call around your local MC shops, someone will patch it. Most will quote the same old BS. I had a rear that received about an 1/4" hole, big piece of something that didn't hang around. I plugged it with multiple worms, then found a shop to do the inside type patch. Ream the hole, scuff it on the inside. Glue it and she lasted fo rth elife.

Personally if it was me, as long as it was a nice clean puncture, fairly small diameter, you can get a very good seal with a single worm. Ream hole, put plenty of glue on worm, insert, cut and trim. Air up after a few minutes and ride it till you see the wear bars.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'd plug it and ride it but watch it. I'm not so strong on the theory to ream it "real good" as it has cords and those reamer tools can pull and tear free those cords. Ream it just enough that you can insert a well lube wormy plug (it should be very hard to insert) and then watch it closely for the first few miles to see that no bubble appears in the tread or cords start to pop thru.

Also the wormy plug should be trimmed off just past even with the tire. If not trimmed that tire to road contact and pull the worm out of the tire.

Another trick I have is to drill a hole thru the plastic handle of the reamer and insertion tool so you can make a "T" handle of the tools for a better grip.

MHO YMMV.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Had the unfortunate experience of getting a nail in a brand new Michelin PR4 Trail tire. The very first ride on the new tire no less. Needless to say I am just a little upset. $250 for the tire and $40 to mount and disposal.
Called my local Honda dealer, the service guy told me they do not repair motorcycle tires, too much liability risk!
Lawyers win again.....
So does anybody fix motorcycle tires? The nail is almost dead center in the middle of the tire, so no sidewall penetration. I could do a plug fix myself, but wanted a patch/fix from the inside of the tire.
Losing a $300 tire just grates on me. GRRRRRRRR!!!:mad:
Tires are too critical, I do not mess around with them. I mount a new tire and then repair the punctured tire the correct way, with an interior, through the hole patch and use that tire as an emergency backup for temporary use. Peace of mind and has paid off in the past. I have seen gummy worms fail even with the best technique.

OP
OP
tawilke46
Bike
2010 Honda NT700V
Thanks to all for your responses. Going to research best way to patch a motorcycle tire. Can't stand the idea of buying another $250 tire........OUCH! Probably just collect another nail if I did replace it. There is lot of local construction going on because of the August floods. Have an idea this where the nail came from.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I've plugged several tires, sometimes more than once. It seems several of my plugs eventually developed a slow leak. Not serious, but bothersome. I replaced some of them with this plug: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CIUOVA/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_57. These held perfectly, but you have to have the means to dismount and mount your tire, or have someone do it. I use Ride-On, but I'm still not sure it works as well as it claims to.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'd plug and ride. Patch the inside if/when I could. Get a plug/worm kit that has T-handles for the reamer and insertion tool. CarQuest makes one.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I plug patched a front and road it for 20kish. Rear also had 2 plugs and an internal patch plug. Road the rear till it needed changed. I use a stop n go plug kit. Works great.

OP
OP
tawilke46
Bike
2010 Honda NT700V
Well, I plugged the tire and now waiting to play. Held at 45 psi for over 30 minutes. Soap bubbles did not indicate a leak.
If this starts to leak and become a problem I may just get a new tire. But on the other hand may save over $200, at least for a while.

Pic of the culprit and the plug repair.......

Attachments

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
tawilke46, if you don't have a TPMS, now might be a good time to invest in one. They are very "comforting" to have. I hope to never ride without one again.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
if you don't have a TPMS, now might be a good time to invest in one. They are very "comforting" to have. I WILL never ride without one again.
That's how I would have worded it.

Not because he plugged the tire, they are just nice to have so when you do think you feel a squiggle you can instantly remove the fear of a dying tire.
Not too mention saving you from crawling down to check the air-pressure when you don't need any.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
That's how I would have worded it.

Not because he plugged the tire, they are just nice to have so when you do think you feel a squiggle you can instantly remove the fear of a dying tire.
Not too mention saving you from crawling down to check the air-pressure when you don't need any.
Actually, that's exactly how I originally worded it, but I've been burned a few times and I try not to be too rigid as I get older! ;)

And I agree with you... my TPMS suggestion was not specifically because he plugged the tire, it was for the reasons you mentioned, especially the first.

Top Bottom