Throttle Lock-ST1100

Trw

Bike
ST 1100
STOC #
Looking for recommendations for a throttle lock for my 95 ST1100. What is the best option?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Re: Throttle Lock

What is the best option?
Whatever works best for you. I use a Go-Cruise and used it just today.

http://www.ragingmoto.com/harley-davidson-parts/harley-control-parts/harley-throttle-parts/go-cruise-2-throttle-control-black?gclid=CIKXoODynNACFQoxaQodCIoJkw

Mine is aluminum but there's a plastic version for around $20. You put a silicone band around the inboard portion of the throttle grip. Open the GC like calipers and put in around the band juuuuusssst tight enough that the throttle won't close on its own. Done.

To use it just push the lever down onto the brake lever with your index finger at your throttle opening of choice. To disengage it just roll off the throttle. It can be moved from bike-to-bike in seconds.

There are several different TLs. I've found this one to be the best combo of price/installation/convenience of any of them. But that's me. A search here should turn up a number of threads. Every device has its fans and detractors.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350

Vista Cruise - sounds similar to what has already been mentioned.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #

I've always liked my Throttlemeister. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it works for me on three bikes, especially with a knurled ring I bought off eBay to help it work better. I'd also consider a Kaoko throttle lock.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #

A Crampbuster isn't a throttle "lock" , but it works well as far as preventing your hand from cramping up after a long time in the saddle.

I use a Crampbuster as well as a Vista Cruise at times. But the problem with a throttle lock is it really doesn't hold the speed steady over a longish time period.

So, I also have installed a Rostra Electronic after market cruise control ( made for an auto ). But in some situations, when I'm not using the Rostra, the Crampbuster or Vista Cruise is used for short periods of time. All three have their place.

STOC #

Just installed a Vista-Cruise last weekend on my 2003 ST1100P. I'm having all kinds of problems with it, but it's not the products fault... it's the lack of tension on my throttle return spring that has given me problems since I got this bike. Very frustrating.

I also had the Vista-Cruise on my CB750k years ago, and worked very well for me.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I use the plastic Vista Cruise, the one that fits between the grip flange and switch housing. Rough the id/contact area with course sandpaper and install per instructions.
Not automotive cruise control by any means. The bike will change speed with road incline and wind. It will also creep down a bit due to throttle spring tension. Same is inherent with all lock devices. Regardless, it gives my hand a needed break every 20 minutes or so.

Bike
04 ST1300
I have the Atlas throttle lock on my st1300. Its a bit pricey (115), but holds speed really well for hours, especially on flat roads and some what hilly roads.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I have the Atlas throttle lock on my st1300. Its a bit pricey (115), but holds speed really well for hours, especially on flat roads and some what hilly roads.
Interesting. I hadn't heard about that option: http://www.atlasthrottlelock.com

I've used Vista Cruises for ~28 years. And also have a genuine (non-velcro) Throttle Rocker wrist rest (linky), plus an AudioVox cruise control on my 1991 ST1100. I use all three on almoST every ride.

John

Last edited:
Bike
04 ST1300
I've tried a few but liked the atlas the best, from a throttle lock perspective. What I'd really like to install is the third item you mentioned (audiovox) or rostra. I'd like to bring this up as a tech event item next year and see if someone can help me with the installation. That should really make my ST a complete tourer.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
.... What I'd really like to install is the third item you mentioned (audiovox) or rostra. I'd like to bring this up as a tech event item next year and see if someone can help me with the installation. That should really make my ST a complete tourer.
Here's the AudioVox CCS-100 cruise control kit: http://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=422

And here's the step-by-step install guide many have used (pictures and captions, click on Title to sort their order): http://www.st-riders.net/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=33&page=1&sort=ta

FYI FWWIW YMMV

John

Bike
04 ST1300
Thanks for the info John. I will go over it. However, I am also considering the Rostra 250-1223 Electronic Cruise Control. This does not use a vacuum canister. Any thoughts or instructions for that. Thanks. Dilshad Peters

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I use a Throttle Rocker and a Throttlemeister - good combo. I haven't figured out where (inside an ST1300 fairing) people put all the hardware required for a real cruise control yet....

The Throttle Rocker is $5 and quite a useful item for easing wrist strain. My bike came with a Throttlemeister which was so out of adjustment that it didn't work. I called the folks who made it and they kindly sent me a drawing which enabled me to figure out how to pull it out of the bar and adjust it properly. It is a useful device on long flat boring slabs - but I wouldn't be keen to use it on twistys.

Bike
04 ST1300
The machining is nice and the disengaging feature with the brake is also very nice, but in the end its still a throttle lock and a bit pricey

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I haven't figured out where (inside an ST1300 fairing) people put all the hardware required for a real cruise control yet....
Behind the mirror in the front fairing. A few articles in the ST1300 mod section. Try this one.

I have the Throttlemeister and the Rostra electric unit. Both have their place and use.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Try this one.
<WHEW!!>

THAT was a read and a half! As cool is it would be to have a GW backlit switch running a cruise control I'll stick with my Go Cruise and stay at the shallow end of the pool.

Bike
ST1100PY

Just installed a Vista-Cruise last weekend on my 2003 ST1100P. I'm having all kinds of problems with it, but it's not the products fault... it's the lack of tension on my throttle return spring that has given me problems since I got this bike. Very frustrating.

I also had the Vista-Cruise on my CB750k years ago, and worked very well for me.
You have probably considered this already but have you tried 'spraying' some powdered graphite at the ends of the twist grip at the switch block and bar end weight. I had a similar experience to you the graphite lubricated the ends of the grip and it returned normally.

Top Bottom