I think I sprung a leak

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I was out for a brief ride today and it seems that I have sprung a leak in the radiator on my 2008 ST1300. I will know for sure tomorrow when I get the test kit from the auto store.

When I was riding I was catching brief whiffs of antifreeze, temp gauge was at 3 bars and did not move. I stopped for lunch and put the bike on the side stand and the next thing I know I have a rather large puddle of coolant under the bike. I pulled all of the Tupperware off and the is a big wet spot int the middle of the radiator. No other signs of leakage on the bike. I will pressure test in the AM but I am sure that there is a hole in the radiator.

So can the radiator be repaired on the ST1300? Partzilla want like $372 for one plus the wait time. There are used ones on eBay, I have found several. Or is there a member that has a good one that they want to part with for a reasonable fee?

Rad 2.jpg Rad 1.jpg

Last edited:

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I was out for a brief ride today and it seems that I have sprung a leak in the radiator on my 2008 ST1300. I will know for sure tomorrow when I get the test kit from the auto store.

When I was riding I was catching brief whiffs of antifreeze, temp gauge was at 3 bars and did not move. I stopped for lunch and put the bike on the side stand and the next thing I know I have a rather large puddle of coolant under the bike. I pulled all of the Tupperware off and the is a big wet spot int the middle of the radiator. No other signs of leakage on the bike. I will pressure test in the AM but I am sure that there is a hole in the radiator.

So can the radiator be repaired on the ST1300? Partzilla want like $372 for one plus the wait time. There are used ones on eBay, I have found several. Or is there a member that has a good one that they want to part with for a reasonable fee?

Rad 2.jpg Rad 1.jpg
Yes, all radiators can usually be repaired by a competent radiator repair shop. It is getting harder to find them though. I would check out the repair route first then the used route...
Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Good luck

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Looks like you may have taken a rock to the radiator. Good luck with the repair or replacement. You may want to put on a radiator guard to protect the radiator.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Yep you were right. a small pin hole from something that hit it just to the right of the bug. At the shop now being welded.
Great they can weld it. That is why I put on one of these radiator guards http://www.st1300-accessories.co.uk/ They are closed right now due to illness but I believe there maybe another company out there building something else.

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Well they got it welded and I get a 6 month warranty. Got it back in and through a couple of heat cycles. I am letting it sit over night without Tupperware to check for leaks. The auto store gave me the wrong system tester so not it is the old fashion way just wait and see.

So it was $95 for same day service to clean, repair, test and paint. I could have been worse. I think a rock guard is in order.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well they got it welded and I get a 6 month warranty. Got it back in and through a couple of heat cycles. I am letting it sit over night without Tupperware to check for leaks. The auto store gave me the wrong system tester so not it is the old fashion way just wait and see.

So it was $95 for same day service to clean, repair, test and paint. I could have been worse. I think a rock guard is in order.
Here is one http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/cox-racing-honda-st1300-03-12-radiator-guard/

Glad you got it repaired.

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Did a couple of heat cycles and a 100 mile ride and all seems good. Just waiting on the radiator guard.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
How easy is it to fit the radiator guard? I bought a pre-owned one but have never tried to put it on. Maybe I should...

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
How easy is it to fit the radiator guard? I bought a pre-owned one but have never tried to put it on. Maybe I should...
You definitely should. Honda should have made them standard. My lowly KLR 650 even came stock with one, and that radiator is mounted way higher than the one on the ST1300.
After I got stranded with a hole in my ST radiator, the first thing I did was fabricate my own guard out of scrap aluminum screen, truck bed liner, and Plastidip. Did the same thing for the oil coolers on my Ducatis. The one on my ST has been there seven years, no more punctures.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I've always been more worried about the fork tubes than the radiator, and have NOJ fork savers installed. I've experienced seal leaks from road debris/bugs getting on the forks, but never a radiator leak.

I suppose I just jinxed myself!

Top Bottom