Rear brake seized

While riding on a highway, my bike stopped in the middle of the road. The engine kept running but the bike would not move an inch as the rear brakes had gotten hold of the bike. With great difficulty and with help of passerby motorist, I was able to move the bike on the shoulder. Amazingly in about 30 minutes, the seized brakes gave in and I was able to move the bike. I did not want to risk it and got the bike towed to home and the dealer the next day. Their tech has been analyzing for more than 2 days. I am not sure whether to trust the bike anymore as I feel the tech has not found any issues and is trying to expand his search into the caliper, brake fluid, modulator etc.

Bike
st1300 vfr800
First thing to check is the SMC located on the left fork leg ,they will apply the rear brake through wheel motion as part of the link brakes and are known to give problems .

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
the dealer the next day. Their tech has been analyzing for more than 2 days. I am not sure whether to trust the bike anymore as I feel the tech has not found any issues and is trying to expand his search into the caliper, brake fluid, modulator etc.
Unless the dealer knows ST's, maybe services the Police ones, you are just wasting money.

Easy enough to service yourself. You can find assitance here in the posts, maybe get a fellow ST-Owner in the area to come over and help for a beer/burger. Recomend you buy the Honda service manual or the Hayes book.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
While riding on a highway, my bike stopped in the middle of the road. The engine kept running but the bike would not move an inch as the rear brakes had gotten hold of the bike. With great difficulty and with help of passerby motorist, I was able to move the bike on the shoulder. Amazingly in about 30 minutes, the seized brakes gave in and I was able to move the bike. I did not want to risk it and got the bike towed to home and the dealer the next day. Their tech has been analyzing for more than 2 days. I am not sure whether to trust the bike anymore as I feel the tech has not found any issues and is trying to expand his search into the caliper, brake fluid, modulator etc.
Is the bike a ST1300? If so, check the many threads dealing with this issue. Three things to look for, SMC, rear master cylinder, stuck pistons in the rear caliper. Or, any combination. Coastal Florida is horrible on MC brakes, corrosion accumulates on brake pistons at an accelerated rate due to the salt and sand in the environment. Clean them in any case. But, based on what you are saying, I would suspect the SMC first. Also look at the bleed back orifice in the rear master cylinder. Good luck.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Second thing to check is whether or not the rear caliper stopper bolt is still screwed into the swingarm.

--Mark

st1300doug

My '06 did the same thing exactly. Bad SMC. Check that rear SS rotor for warp. Honda covered mine on Warranty...even though it was over 4 years old and 37K miles.

OP
OP
The unthinkable has happened. Honda agreed to pick the tab on the entire repair (about $1400). The dealer has my bike for about a month as they could not fix the issue. Honda got involved and shipped them more parts and now apparently it has been fixed and Honda agreed to pay the whole thing. This is a 10 year old bike although with only 16k miles. This must be be known problem and it worries me that they did not issue a recall. This was a life threatening situation that I got out of somehow without a scratch on me or the bike. I asked all technicians at the dealer to ride the bike for 10 miles each so I can be assured that it is safe. Needless to say it shook me up quite a bit. I will pick the bike up today and will ride on right lane only for a couple of weeks :)

I am pasting the original post just in case people do not know what I am talking about.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The unthinkable has happened. Honda agreed to pick the tab on the entire repair (about $1400). The dealer has my bike for about a month as they could not fix the issue. Honda got involved and shipped them more parts and now apparently it has been fixed and Honda agreed to pay the whole thing. This is a 10 year old bike although with only 16k miles. This must be be known problem and it worries me that they did not issue a recall. This was a life threatening situation that I got out of somehow without a scratch on me or the bike. I asked all technicians at the dealer to ride the bike for 10 miles each so I can be assured that it is safe. Needless to say it shook me up quite a bit. I will pick the bike up today and will ride on right lane only for a couple of weeks :)

I am pasting the original post just in case people do not know what I am talking about.

That outcome is no small measure a credit to the dealer. Please tell us what Honda dealer stepped up for you.

OP
OP
Good point about the dealer. Gables motorsport, Wesley Chapel FL (it is a suburb of Tampa FL)

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
can you tell us what the final diagnosis/fix was? For a dealer to take a month and $1400 to fix, plus Mother Honda getting involved, seems more than the common rear brake problems.

Rod

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Heck, if they would have called me on the white courtesy phone, I could have told them how to fix it in a couple hours :rofl1:

Bike
St1300
I am having the same issue. Fingers crossed Honda smiles down on me and pay for my expenses too. How they have not recalled this deadly issue is mind blowing. I spoke to them today and they "opened a case...".

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I am having the same issue. Fingers crossed Honda smiles down on me and pay for my expenses too. How they have not recalled this deadly issue is mind blowing. I spoke to them today and they "opened a case...".
I'd like to see that in writing :well1:
If you search through the forum a bit, you'll see these bikes have had SMC issues from the 2003 models to the 2012 models. Why has Honda not done something about it.
Makes you wonder if this is going to be another Airbag cover up type deal?

Last edited:
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Why has Honda not done something about it.
Good you checked the forum history, but check where it counts, like the NHTSA database (I did a few years ago): very few cases reported, although the NHTSA makes it relatively easy to file.

It is often expressed here that this is viewed more as a maintenance issue rather than a safety issue. Many ST1300ers are good wrenchers, so issues are resolved (often via the [now disconnected] White Courtesy Phone) without much fuss and no official reporting. Little chance Honda will spring into action without more pressure being applied.

The GW community had better luck "gaining traction" with the SMC issue on the GL. Last time I called Honda, they had one line entirely dedicated to this GL recall:

"American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (Honda) is recalling certain model year 2001-2010 and 2012 GL1800 and 2001-2005 GL1800A motorcycles. The rear brakes of the affected motorcycles may drag after the brakes are released. CONSEQUENCE: A rear brake that drags may increase the risk of a vehicle crash. Additionally, extended riding with the rear brake dragging could generate enough heat to result in a fire."

Sounds familiar....?

The GW community is of course much larger, possibly more affluent as well and thus more prone to sue, so it makes sense for Honda to be cautious.

On the ST side however, the community is much smaller and more self supported and far less vocal, so the Pinto approach is good enough!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Good you checked the forum history, but check where it counts, like the NHTSA database (I did a few years ago): very few cases reported, although the NHTSA makes it relatively easy to file.

It is often expressed here that this is viewed more as a maintenance issue rather than a safety issue. Many ST1300ers are good wrenchers, so issues are resolved (often via the [now disconnected] White Courtesy Phone) without much fuss and no official reporting. Little chance Honda will spring into action without more pressure being applied.

The GW community had better luck "gaining traction" with the SMC issue on the GL. Last time I called Honda, they had one line entirely dedicated to this GL recall:

"American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (Honda) is recalling certain model year 2001-2010 and 2012 GL1800 and 2001-2005 GL1800A motorcycles. The rear brakes of the affected motorcycles may drag after the brakes are released. CONSEQUENCE: A rear brake that drags may increase the risk of a vehicle crash. Additionally, extended riding with the rear brake dragging could generate enough heat to result in a fire."

Sounds familiar....?

The GW community is of course much larger, possibly more affluent as well and thus more prone to sue, so it makes sense for Honda to be cautious.

On the ST side however, the community is much smaller and more self supported and far less vocal, so the Pinto approach is good enough!
What was the actual 'fix' for the GL? The GL and ST systems are pretty similar.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Recall of the SMC on Goldwings, Mellow.
I wonder what changed.... in 2008 the SMC design was changed for the ST1300, and the front calipers are larger which is why front pads are different from 2008 and newer.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
So how can we organize the ST-Owners to get enough reports in to get it looked at by NHTSA and/or Honda? Do they have to be official accident investigations.

Top Bottom