Rear brake seized

v8-7

Site Supporter
Mine sort of locked up a few years back and I did file a report with the NHTSA.

I urge all of you that have any inkling of the problem ( even dragging brakes ) to file with the NHTSA asap.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
What was the actual 'fix' for the GL? The GL and ST systems are pretty similar.
Agree about similarities. That's the point.

In 2012, Honda originally issued SB #20 following rear brake drag reports.

With the problem persisting, Honda had to issue the 2014 Interim SB #22 before releasing the 2015 SB #23 superseding 20 and 22 and implementing a redesigned SMC.

After years of research (instead of reading this forum), Honda came to the conclusion stated in #23:

"Honda has determined that under conditions where the brake fluid is subject to prolonged aging due to a lack of maintenance (i.e., the brake fluid is not replaced for a long period of time despite the published maintenance schedule of replacement every 12,000 miles or two years, whichever comes first), deposits may form within the brake fluid. If sufficient deposits are formed, they can result in a malfunction of the secondary master cylinder, which may cause the rear brake to drag.
A redesigned secondary master cylinder with new internal valving is now available to correct this condition; in addition, Honda has updated its brake fluid replacement service procedure to better ensure that all old brake fluid is removed from the system."

A CO dealer told me these bulletins have kept his techs quite busy for a few years. Including travelers traffic who would drop their bike on the go to have the work done.

When asked about the ST SMC:

-- There is one ST in town, he said, and we don't see the guy very much. Not much business there.

Back to Pinto bean counting.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Good you checked the forum history, but check where it counts, like the NHTSA database (I did a few years ago): very few cases reported, although the NHTSA makes it relatively easy to file.

It is often expressed here that this is viewed more as a maintenance issue rather than a safety issue. Many ST1300ers are good wrenchers, so issues are resolved (often via the [now disconnected] White Courtesy Phone) without much fuss and no official reporting. Little chance Honda will spring into action without more pressure being applied.

The GW community had better luck "gaining traction" with the SMC issue on the GL. Last time I called Honda, they had one line entirely dedicated to this GL recall:

"American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (Honda) is recalling certain model year 2001-2010 and 2012 GL1800 and 2001-2005 GL1800A motorcycles. The rear brakes of the affected motorcycles may drag after the brakes are released. CONSEQUENCE: A rear brake that drags may increase the risk of a vehicle crash. Additionally, extended riding with the rear brake dragging could generate enough heat to result in a fire."

Sounds familiar....?

The GW community is of course much larger, possibly more affluent as well and thus more prone to sue, so it makes sense for Honda to be cautious.

On the ST side however, the community is much smaller and more self supported and far less vocal, so the Pinto approach is good enough!
What do you mean? (often via the [now disconnected] White Courtesy Phone) didn't I pay my phone bill or something :rofl1:
That was an April Fools Joke! I'm still out here :shrug1:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
What do you mean? (often via the [now disconnected] White Courtesy Phone) didn't I pay my phone bill or something :rofl1:
That was an April Fools Joke! I'm still out here :shrug1:
See what happens when you play jokes on OLD GUYS! :old1:

Not disconnected; it just has a new number: 1-900-5-WAY-TEE. Great source of retirement income. :D

--Mark
Now, that's funny!

:rofl1:

Bike
St1300
I'd like to see that in writing :well1:
If you search through the forum a bit, you'll see these bikes have had SMC issues from the 2003 models to the 2012 models. Why has Honda not done something about it.
Makes you wonder if this is going to be another Airbag cover up type deal?
I received a vm today from "Pam of Honda CS" who sounded defensive and pist off asking me to call her back. I deal with Donna types 100 times a week. This is a large safety issue and I will assure her and most likely the executives well over her that they can put this issue behind them or in front of them. I am very loud, vocal and honestly vigilant against end user abuse. I demand customer advocacy. Honda was always synonymous with reliability. I assume they want to do the right thing.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I received a vm today from "Pam of Honda CS" who sounded defensive and pist off asking me to call her back. I deal with Donna types 100 times a week. This is a large safety issue and I will assure her and most likely the executives well over her that they can put this issue behind them or in front of them. I am very loud, vocal and honestly vigilant against end user abuse. I demand customer advocacy. Honda was always synonymous with reliability. I assume they want to do the right thing.
As the guy said on the movie TAKEN ......good luck...
My Honda Element, and my wife's CRV both fell victim to the air bag recall....funny thing was my insurance agent, who also has a Honda informed me that she was informed of the Recall over 2 years ago. That was two years, over two years, before Honda finally started sending the warnings out. It took them a year to do the Drivers air bag on my Element, and said now the passenger side needs to be replaced, but they won't have any airbags until next summer at the earliest. Wife still has not had hers done yet.
They knew about it, but didn't inform anyone until XXX number of folks DIED! I'm guessing "Pam" is just a switchboard person on the Honda customer care line, and she will listen to your complaint, tell you she'll tell someone else about it, then throw the paperwork in the waste paper basket. The only reason the Goldwing SMC issues got dealt with quickly is because its a bigger market, make the company more money, and they were catching on fire!
Will it take folks getting hurt before Honda does something about the ST1300's? I suspect its because its a discontinued line that they are just waiting for them to fade away.
I wish you luck with "Pam", sounds like you could be the right person to deal with her and get somebodies attention about these brakes.
Have they agreed to return the "damaged" parts to you? I bet you a nickel they tell you "we need to ship it to Honda under warranty, and can't produce it and show it to you even". I wouldn't put it pass them to have pulled yours apart, cleaned the sliding dowels (after you gave them the idea), and put it back together, then tell you they replaced it, and bill Honda for the work :rofl1:
I sure hope you get your bike fixed, you don't deserve any of this!
We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
If it were me, after reporting the problem to NHTA:
1. I would fix the bike myself. There are very few dealers I trust with critical components, and I have seen some make critical mistakes. It is my life.
2. If I did not have the skill/tools - I would solicit help from the good folks here. We deal with STs much more than most dealers do, it is simply a matter of volume.
3. If $ is the issue and Honda insists on a dealer fixing the bike, I would be right there watching every move, if possible. If not, back to step one.

Last edited:
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
The only reason the Goldwing SMC issues got dealt with quickly ...
Honda started looking into the problematic GL SMC in 2011, issued a Safety Bulletin in 2012 that didn't stop the GL brakes from dragging and eventually proceeded with a recall late 2015, for 2001-15 models.

If that's what we call "quickly dealt with", we'll all be pushing up daisies by the time Honda takes action on the STs. Fading away, as you say.

Bike
ST 1300 pan european
Any dragging or seizing problems on the rear brake its always worth checking someone hasn't fitted the wrong pads, make sure the notch is cut out to fit on the caliper spring otherwise the pads just get trapped on the brake pin and won't unstick from the disc

Bike
St1300
I have not posted in a while. I have to admit the ST is one bad *** bike. Very versatile and a thrill to ride. Love the power on tap especially when getting out of traffic situations. I made a great choice in finding a better than average used bike. All in all the dealer made the needed repairs without charging me for all their trial and errors.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Good for you, and kudo's for the dealer doing the right thing for a change.
Enjoy your bike, and ride safe.
Igofar

Top Bottom