Battery Blues 4 New Batteries In 6 Years - All Marginal - Why?

OP
OP
Ilbikes

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
Guys, thanks for the awesome feedback and inputs. I'm more than convinced that the combination of battery neglect and the ST1300's under-sized battery is the reason for failure. I have a Battery Tender cord installed on every bike I own and have done a very poor job of charging and maintaining on a regular basis. I've killed each of those batteries all by myself....

I will get a new AGM. I'm still afraid of the Lithium batteries. Phones, washing machines, and Boeings exploding and burning - I'm not willing to risk my garage of bikes, boats, and toys to a Li battery fail.

Again, thanks for all the great advice. Gordon/RTS

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I will get a new AGM. I'm still afraid of the Lithium batteries. Phones, washing machines, and Boeings exploding and burning - I'm not willing to risk my garage of bikes, boats, and toys to a Li battery fail.

Again, thanks for all the great advice. Gordon/RTS
Not all lithium batteries use the same chemistry and potential danger. Risk -vs- reward. Small high capacity batteries in cell phones, airlines and headsets pack the most punch per pound and cubic inch but also can bd6 tricky to manage, and don't puncture one. LiFe batteries used in our motorcycle are very safe, you can still destroy them, but they won't catch fire.

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
I vote for cheap and easy... no charging...(I'm not even gonna take it off the bike for Winter!) ...use and throw away!
http://www.batterysharks.com/Scorpion-YTZ14S-p/scor-ytz14s_m12-11.2-230-k.htm
Got a full riding season out this...even with my 300W (rms) stereo blasting...
If it fails next Spring. it's under $40. delivered to my door!....
+1, Have one in my 1100. Works good. Same, delivered to front door, priced right. Dependable enough. My stereo is the sound of the engine via the 14" Delkevic's and KN drop in air filter.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
+1, Have one in my 1100. Works good. Same, delivered to front door, priced right. Dependable enough. My stereo is the sound of the engine via the 14" Delkevic's and KN drop in air filter.
The 1100 has a much larger battery box than the 1300 = more capacity. Scorpion AGM batteries on ST1300s are asking for trouble. When you re stranded in the middle of no name Alabama, at night, in the rain, because of a dead battery like I was, (Scorpion AGM, 9 months old) saving a few bucks on a battery is the last thing on your mind.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
A bit late to the party, but an equipment failure left me without Internet for awhile...

My 1st/original battery died in 2012 (3 years) after I left the lights on when a friend dropped his bike on his leg in a parking lot drop. The battery never recovered and the engine barely turned over - even after a full charge.
Deep discharging, even once, kills batteries. They aren't designed for it, and the margin you get is made smaller by the small size of the battery and the amount of load the bike puts on it when the engine isn't running. Caring for the battery will make it last quite awhile.

Battery damage is like putting marbles in your fuel tank. The more damage, the more marbles. The charger indicating a full charge is like going to the gas station, filling the tank to the filler neck and expecting to get 300 miles out of it even though it's half-full of marbles.

At the end of the days' ride, I had 13.1 volts, this morning I had 12.6 and the bike was slow to turn over - all at 70 degree weather in my garage.
12.6 is the normal resting voltage for a six-cell battery. Anything you see above that is like the head on a beer: it's going to evaporate fairly quickly.

I'm stuck on this idea that the ST1300's battery should be a 16 Amp model.
The extra capacity would give you some extra discharge margin with extra weight and bulk; the trend in everything these days is toward smaller batteries.

--Mark

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
... I'm still afraid of the Lithium batteries. Phones, washing machines, and Boeings exploding and burning - I'm not willing to risk my garage of bikes, boats, and toys to a Li battery fail.
Just don't get a Samsung Lithium battery and you'll be fine! :rofl1:

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I had a similar problem some time ago. Yuasa batteries. Problem was the dealer's batteries were old. You have to email Yuasa with the code on the battery to find when it was manufactured. If it's old, return it. I finally went with a lithium battery. Not Li-ion but lithium iron, that is LiFePO4 - lithium iron phosphate. These don't have the problems that lithium ion batteries have. You need a special charger and they are more susceptible to cold. Turning on the lights for a minute or two, normally a killer for PbS04 batteries, warms them up. They are deep discharge.

John-

OP
OP
Ilbikes

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
John, can you share a link to the Lithium Iron battery you've used and get good service from? Also, are there any issues/problems with the ST1300's charging system replacing the energy lost from the battery? Is the difference in chargers the pulsating "de-sulfating" mode?

I have enjoyed this thread and certainly the education you guys have shared - lots of good stuff here. Gordon

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
John, can you share a link to the Lithium Iron battery you've used and get good service from? Also, are there any issues/problems with the ST1300's charging system replacing the energy lost from the battery? Is the difference in chargers the pulsating "de-sulfating" mode?

I have enjoyed this thread and certainly the education you guys have shared - lots of good stuff here. Gordon
The lithium battery I have been using for the last six months. It looks like a re-branded Scorpion "Stinger" as it is identical to the Stinger I have in my Ducati, only larger. I am happy with it:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DCXIJJG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=viglink20849-20

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
But de-sulfate chargers are not in that range.
Isn't the de-sulfation mode the difference between the two types of chargers— the lack of it on Li battery tender/charger?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Isn't the de-sulfation mode the difference between the two types of chargers— the lack of it on Li battery tender/charger?
Yes, but I think I remember reading that the LI batts take a slightly different charging voltage than a lead acid (read AGM) battery. While a standard non de-sulfate type (lead acid) charger will work on LI batts, a charger designed specifically for LI batts will be more efficient, charge more quickly, equalize between cells, etc. Now whether or not said LI specific charger optimizes all these variables and is not simply a re-labeled lead acid charger depends on the integrity of the manufacturer. My cynicism showing thru. To quote another thread...I know I'm paranoid, but am i paranoid enough? (thank you Gonzo).

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SMSW said:
a charger designed specifically for LI batts will be more efficient, charge more quickly, equalize between cells, etc.
Thanks I did not know this. My response was to address the reason why the bike's charging system didn't need any modification for Li batteries.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The LiFePO4 battery I use is from http://shoraipower.com/products?action=vehicle&type=175&make=298763&model=298890&year=298890

The special charger has connections to balance all the cells. I sadly have not used my bike much so I can't well comment on usage or longevity. There was a discussion on this forum some time ago. Some said the higher voltage, up to about 14.1 volts, made the bike start faster but I haven't noticed that. I like the deep discharge feature and the battery is noticeably smaller and lighter. Shorai furnishes adhesive rubber pads to bring the battery out to the PBSO4 size so it fits snugly in the battery compartment. The ST charging system is fine for use with the LiFePO4 battery and is safe, unlike Li-Ion.

John-

P.S. Sorry for not replying sooner, I used to get alerts when my posts were referenced.

Top Bottom