Clutch Problem

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The friction point on my ST1300 is a hair away from the grip. This year I've ridden it very little and there's only 32 K on the '04 odometer. I first noticed this a few months ago. Today I rebuilt the clutch lever assembly (lever, push rod, busing, and boot), lubricating it generously with silicon grease. The clutch fluid reservoir is full. The friction point seems to have changed in a quantum jump. Now, I can barely get the transmission in and out of gear. Any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks,
John-

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Possibly air in the system. Perhaps bleed the clutch and see if that sets things to right.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Try flushing the fluid first and then if that does not work you could have a bad slave cylinder.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Worth a try.

John-
I seriously doubt that you would have a problem with the slave cylinder at 32K. Does the fluid in the sight glass look like iced tea or root beer? Regardless, I would recommend what Dave said and bleed the clutch hydraulics.

OP
OP
Old Glory
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I seriously doubt that you would have a problem with the slave cylinder at 32K. Does the fluid in the sight glass look like iced tea or root beer? Regardless, I would recommend what Dave said and bleed the clutch hydraulics.
The clutch fluid is definitely darker than the brake fluid. I'll look up bleeding the fluid. I had it and the brake fluid flushed at 24K, or at least I was charged for it.

John-

P.S. I see we're equally young.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Possibly air in the system. Perhaps bleed the clutch and see if that sets things to right.
My clutch acted same on a recent trip and air was indeed the issue. Clutch was fine at sea level but useless over the Divide, then better again at lower altitude.

Called a dealer ahead who had a tech waiting when I arrived and a quick bleed made it as good as new.

Good opportunity to learn how well this machine can shift without a clutch.......

OP
OP
Old Glory
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Very encouraging. I'll do the bleed this weekend. I have shifted without the clutch, seems especially easy up shifting in the higher gears, but not something I want to rely on.

Thanks to all who responded. Few non-motorcyclist seem to understand the bond we have with our pet motorcycle.

John-

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Since it changed after you rebuilt the clutch lever assembly, it sounds like you didn't get the rod seated in the bushing correctly. Remove the lever and check the alignment of the rod into the brass bushing.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
..... I have shifted without the clutch, seems especially easy up shifting in the higher gears, but not something I want to rely on......

John-
I've crossed towns not getting out of third just by coasting and timing red lights. Impressive how far you can slow down and still get going again in third.

Going back down to second is more difficult.

Could not manage getting back down to 1st with engine running, which makes it harder at stop signs (although take off in second is possible with this machine!). Coasting in third or second to a stop, killing the engine, shifting to first and restarting the engine with clutch pulled to grip worked for me.

Still ended up making a lot of right hand turns though, to avoid x-traffic left handers.....

OP
OP
Old Glory
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Since it changed after you rebuilt the clutch lever assembly, it sounds like you didn't get the rod seated in the bushing correctly. Remove the lever and check the alignment of the rod into the brass bushing.
I meant it changed suddenly before I rebuilt the clutch lever assembly, that's why I rebuilt it, thought it might help. In retrospect, my action reminds me of the joke about the drunk who searched for his keys under the lamp post, not because that's where he lost them but because that's where he could see.

John-

P.S. bought a speed bleeder to make the flush less painful.

Top Bottom