I finally joined the Double Dark side club

Paawpabear

Ken Morse
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I took the plunge, ate the blue pill, succumbed to the Empire's pull, whatever you want to call it, I'm riding double darkside as of last night. First impression is I like it. Front end feels a little bit heavy, but so has every new front tire until I get used to the feel. Thank you to everyone that led me down this path.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Paawpabear

Paawpabear

Ken Morse
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I've got about a 6" long tire rub on the swingarm, but I can rotate the tire by hand past it when the bike is on the center stand. I'll keep an eye on it.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Yes welcome. My first rear tire had 31.5k on it. It had a repairable hole in it but I made a new hole while trying to ream it. New tire later, and careful next time.

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
BFGoodrich Comp-2 A/S and Bridgestone BT-45
You have the setup I'm running with. I have about 5,000 miles on them now. We went to WeSTOC to break them in. The handling gets better on the rear after the edges get a little rounded off.

I had to squeeze my rear tire in but didn't rub after everything was tighten up. I'm running 31-32 lbs with two aboard.

OP
OP
Paawpabear

Paawpabear

Ken Morse
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Just checking back in. Very pleased with the switch. I don't realize that I'm running double dark unless I happen to think about it, that's how seamless the switch has been.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Just checking back in. Very pleased with the switch. I don't realize that I'm running double dark unless I happen to think about it, that's how seamless the switch has been.

Wait til you roll over a rock at slow speed, about walnut size on the outer edge of the tire. Those times remind me too.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Wait til you roll over a rock at slow speed, about walnut size on the outer edge of the tire. Those times remind me too.
At 28 psi in the rear CT tire you will not even notice it.

Back when I was running 41 psi, changing lanes on some parts of the old LA freeway cement slabs that had a "small" offset caused an unnerving center of gravity shift (twitch) as the outer edge of the tire pulled over the lip. Now that I am down to 28 psi in my CT it is just smooth sailing...

Bike
Vstrom 650
I'm curious how your insurance would work if you were unfortunate enough to have an accident and they discovered you weren't using motorcycle tyres, over here I think they'd void the policy.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
In the USA motorcycles can be custom built or modified by the owner. We do not have vehicle inspections and restrictions like you do.

widetire1.jpg

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
In the USA motorcycles can be custom built or modified by the owner. We do not have vehicle inspections and restrictions like you do.

widetire1.jpg
In NY we have inspections. Luckily I found a little independent shop that will look the other way with my CT and aux fuel tank.

Bike
Vstrom 650

widetire1.jpg
We don't have inspections or restrictions here in Ireland either, but the insurance company or broker ask you when you are taking out your policy if the bike has been modified, if you fail to declare something then in the event of an accident they might not stand by the policy if the policy holder made a false declaration, I'm pretty sure running car tyres would cause them to void the policy.surprised they aren't the same over there, any excuse will do them to avoid paying out.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
We don't have inspections or restrictions here in Ireland either, but the insurance company or broker ask you when you are taking out your policy if the bike has been modified, if you fail to declare something then in the event of an accident they might not stand by the policy if the policy holder made a false declaration, I'm pretty sure running car tyres would cause them to void the policy.surprised they aren't the same over there, any excuse will do them to avoid paying out.
Somewhere on the forum someone called their insurance company explaining they wanted to use a different tire than recommended. It was decided the tire being a DOT, it would be ok.

OP
OP
Paawpabear

Paawpabear

Ken Morse
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I have Allstate and they checked with the claims division and were told that as long as they are DOT approved tires, that I would be fully covered.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
but the insurance company or broker ask you when you are taking out your policy if the bike has been modified, if you fail to declare something then in the event of an accident they might not stand by the policy
So you have to keep using Honda oil and antifreeze? ;)

Bike
Vstrom 650
Yeah well I'll stick with motorcycle tyres anyway, seems mad to me but I suppose on the big long highways over there it pays off, lot of twisty roads here and grip means everything.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Yeah well I'll stick with motorcycle tyres anyway, seems mad to me but I suppose on the big long highways over there it pays off, lot of twisty roads here and grip means everything.
It helps contribute to being a rebel. I think I only rode 2k miles before the CT went on. To each their own, it's the way it should be. There is a different feel to riding with car tire. That, and about 36k miles, other riders maybe more.

Top Bottom