Should I replace calliper position seals?

Bike
ST1300
Should I replace calliper piston seals?

Hello everybody :)
I have a 2002 ST1300, with 25,000 miles on the clock. The bike is generally in great condition with no known issues.
I'm planning it's annual strip down and service, and have considered replacing the calliper seals, for no other reason than they're about 15 years old. The brakes work as they should (after I replaced the secondary master cylinder seals when I got the bike in 2014). Rubber stuff doesn't last forever, so do you think it a wise move to refresh and rebuild the callipers before any problems occur?
I'm also thinking about doing the front and rear master cylinder seals, and the clutch master and slave seals too.
So what are your recommendations? Am I being over-cautious?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Assuming you have no leaks, I guess it depends on your level of risk. I would just pull the pads, carefully push the pistons out and clean them with brake fluid and a tooth brush.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Re: Should I replace calliper piston seals?

I would leave them all alone unless they are leaking. Just make sure you properly change the brake and clutch fluid with good DOT 4 at least every two years. My bike is almost as old as yours with about 4X the mileage and I have never experienced any such leak. All of the seals you mention are original.
As previously mentioned, pull the pads and clean the pistons with a toothbrush once they are pushed out a bit. I have always just used household spray cleaner for this, 409 or similar. My experience, in Florida, tells me that the amount of piston crud you experience is often inversely proportional to your distance from a salt water body. I would also separate the calipers and lube the slider pins with brake specific grease for good measure. I also suggest squirting a little silicone grease under the rubber boot on the SMC that covers the plunger.
The left front caliper pivots on a plain bearing on top and needle bearings on the bottom. I always grease these with waterproof lithium grease every tire change.
Also, another little thing you need to do is grease the shift linkage ball joints. Time and corrosion can freeze them up and make shifting difficult or impossible. This stranded me once. The only other thing that has ever stranded me is a dead battery. Lots of discussion on this forum.

OP
OP
Double oh nine
Bike
ST1300

Thanks for your thoughts. Yep I plan on doing the gearshift joints, might get a couple of new rubber joint covers while I'm there. I see a cricked neck on the way...

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #

How much do you lift the tank? Book says that hose won't last long if doing so.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
If you don't lift the tank beyond what the limit strap allows, the hose will last a long time. I changed mine at ten years and after lots of tank raisings because I thought it was time to do it. The old hose was in fine shape.

--Mark

Bike
'07STA
STOC #

Hello everybody :)
I have a 2002 ST1300, with 25,000 miles on the clock. The bike is generally in great condition with no known issues.
I'm planning it's annual strip down and service, and have considered replacing the calliper seals, for no other reason than they're about 15 years old. The brakes work as they should (after I replaced the secondary master cylinder seals when I got the bike in 2014). Rubber stuff doesn't last forever, so do you think it a wise move to refresh and rebuild the callipers before any problems occur?
I'm also thinking about doing the front and rear master cylinder seals, and the clutch master and slave seals too.
So what are your recommendations? Am I being over-cautious?
I love the Isle of Man.. That ST is going to beg to be opened up. We were there in late Aug, 1st part of Sept back in 2013. We rented a VFR 800 and drove the island for 3 days. Peel is beautiful

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

How much do you lift the tank? Book says that hose won't last long if doing so.
What book says that?

Make sure the tank is pulled fully back and the seat adjuster is locked into the maintenance position. If not you can tear the joint hose when you lift the tank. The retaining strap safely limits how far you can lift the tank.

Last edited:

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #

The manual obviously! I've worked on 3 ST's were the cable was laying down in the frame, not on the tank at all. So when you buy your bike unless someone tells you about the cable you may never know and just lift the tank as far as it will go out of the way. Not everyone knows everything, if you do then happy for you.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've got two different year owner's manuals and a service manual and I have never seen "hose won't last long if doing so". I must have overlooked it.

It does say "do not raise the fuel tank higher than wire allows". If you just buy your bike and follow instructions in the manual you'll be in good shape. The manual has a picture of the wire in case yours is disconnected. Not seeing the wire might be a clue.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I've got two different year owner's manuals and a service manual and I have never seen "hose won't last long if doing so". I must have overlooked it.

It does say "do not raise the fuel tank higher than wire allows". If you just buy your bike and follow instructions in the manual you'll be in good shape. The manual has a picture of the wire in case yours is disconnected. Not seeing the wire might be a clue.
I've been looking through the owner's manual for my 2003, and it does not include that caution ("hose won't last long if doing so"). If the restraining wire is not attached to the tank, it indicates some sloppy workmanship on the part of a dealership or previous owner. Amen

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I've got a 2007 ST1300 and am going through the old rubber issue now. I'm having to replace the evap canister to throttle body 3.5 mm hoses which are crusty, kinked, and corroded; probably leaking. I almost started with silicone hose then check on it's stability with fuel, oops reviews weren't good, so I ordered Honda bulk 3.5mm fuel hose. Since I'm removing the throttle bodies, thought I'd replace the water hoses across the bike since my main water hoses at the radiator are beginning to soften. Ordered some constant torque Breeze clamps for the larger hoses. All my smaller hoses seem to be getting "crusty", could have something to do with the Texas heat, don't know.

I replaced the elbow tank hose last year, it was getting a "crusty" feel to it. I think that "crusty" feel is oxidation/rot.

I'm not the expert on the subject but brake seals are lubricated by brake fluid, wouldn't they remain pliable? All my seals and brake lines seem to be fine. What would the test be to determine if rubber replacement is needed?

Bike
'07STA
STOC #

Hey Tdinova, glad you like the IOM, I love it here too. Here's a clip to get your memories going
https://youtu.be/v1Oe_84D5IU
Love it. Looks like you were going from Peel to Ramsey. WE had kippers in Peel just before you turn up to Peel Castle. I want to come back sometime. We stayed at the Welbeck

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom