Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Interesting video, thanks for sharing.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Seriously you are reaching down and winding up the preloader 30 clicks at a 115 mph or more?
Oh yeah... BTDT! Weave for me can be felt at 110 with the TopBox on.
It's just under your butt, not too far of a reach. And considering the hydraulics at work, weight is not an issue.
But having a 36/37 sleeve length probably help too.

Bike
04 st1300
STOC #
My weave was solved by proper torque on the head bearings and following the front wheel mounting instructions to the letter in the workshop manual-this made a big difference.

Bike
2006 Honda ST1300
If I understand what you are saying right, the only time I have seen or experienced that kind of issue at high speeds is with the windshield on the bike up and a cross-wind. Or a windy day with the windshield up. If I lower the windshield to the lowest position, the movement goes away. The bike is top-heavy and is broad from the side, so cross-wind can cause some slight movement.

Eventually you will get used to it.

Bike
'05 ST1300 "STinger"
If I understand what you are saying right, the only time I have seen or experienced that kind of issue at high speeds is with the windshield on the bike up and a cross-wind. Or a windy day with the windshield up. If I lower the windshield to the lowest position, the movement goes away. The bike is top-heavy and is broad from the side, so cross-wind can cause some slight movement.

Eventually you will get used to it.
Exactly. And don't forget turbulence from semi trucks.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Good video! From that video I thought of many things. Lying down on the tank is new to me, but makes me think that we would then put a tad more downforce on the front forks and tire, and/or take some downforce off the rear, which is really a weight and balance correction that done in the aircraft world all the time. But seems a very important piece of information here was to eat more pie so you can gain weight and negate the weave. I think that would be more fun than strapping on a scuba belt with lead and risking a back strain.:D Really to me this is all about the CofG of the bike, just like the handling in an aircraft.

Bike
ST11OOa
In Essex the go-to shop for suspension mod's is MCT in Stowemarket http://www.mctsuspension.co.uk/Home.html

Around the IAM groups this business became known as the guy who fixed the Pan weave . It was recommended to me by several 'progressive', riders and I heard that the IAM chief examiner had his bikes sorted there as well . Like al senior IAM staff at the time, he was ex-Old Bill and continued to ride as if he was still riding a firm's bike . And like all Black Rats his BS meter was extremely sensitive so he wouldn't have it done unless it delivered.

Short -story-made- long there . But we had Darren speak at one of our meetings and I asked him what when wrong and what he did to fix it . He said that in his opinion Honda made the front suspension settings too soft , so that when it came under load, it locked up too frequently leaving the only comnpliant / deformable component as the tyre wall , causing it to deform and then rapidly rebound , setting off the wobble, which kept the suspension under locked and the wobble /weave increasing.

Funnily years earlier I asked an engineer ex-Honda racing around the time the ST1300 was launched in the UK , who had set up as a builder of Lotus 7 and similar race kit cars having come out of Mother Honda the same question. His reply was that:

'The Japanese development riders were too light' .

I didn't understand what he'd meant by that until Darren's talk that night

So what he does is replace the oil and swap out the Honda springs . If necessary he can also modify the internals to either lower the bike or change the flow rates within.

MCT have a great rep generally around the fast bike and race-bike boys in the South East , which you can Google up.

Give MCT a call and have a talk .

I not connected to then in any way

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I can say that laying on the tank doesn't stop the weave as I am usually tucked in and laying on the tank when it starts weaving, if it is going to do so.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I got my '56 plate st1300 in August of 2016 and I found that there was a loose back end feel when getting close to 70mph. I found that if the front screen was fully down it would go away. I then read an article on here where a bracket was made to push the screen out to create gap between screen and front end. This stopped a low pressure area being created between screen and rider and stopped the problem. I did this and it made it better but mine wasn't out as far as the recommended distance. If I made bigger brackets I am sure it would stop it completely. Mine is only about 25mm further out from standard. The other solution I found was removing the top box. Riding 2 up doesn't have this problem from my experience.

Bike
Honda 1300ST
ALWAYS put the shield down at wind speeds over 160kmph or you risk the "pan-weave". I've felt this coming on many times - just back off the juice and lower the shield to be safe! If you call 235kmph safe:)

Top Bottom