Pic of your farkled ST1100 dash

bikerdrumr

David
Bike
'15 BMW 1200RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hi everyone,

I have just one thing on my handlebars and it's a RAM cell phone holder that also functions as a GPS holder. I also mounted a temp controller on the left side of my fairing. But I just made Twisted Throttle & LEDrider happy with a bunch of purchases. I will be mounting the following:

BikeMaster Dual USB sockets
Oxford Touring heated hand grips
SW-MOTECH 12v cigarette socket
PowerHub 2 fuse block
LEDrider LX40 aux lights with 3-way handlebar-mounted switch

So I am just trying to figure out an uncluttered (if possible) way of mounting all of this. I know it can be done but it seems as though that after I install these things I won't have any open space left on the handlebars. Obviously the 3-way switch needs to be as close to the hand grips as possible. The 12v socket and USBs need to be close as well. The temp controller of the handgrips can be mounted on the fairing as it's not necessary to be on the bars. The PowerHub will most likely be under the seat.

I would love to see pics of your set-up to see how you all worked it all out. Thanks everyone!

Dave

Bike
2005 ST 1300 ABS
STOC #
Re: Pic of your farkled dash

Here is my dash setup. I Like uncluttered also, so I put my power outlet and 2 switches for 2 sets of driving lights in my dash, not on the bars. If you are not afraid to crack open the dash, go for it. If you really feel like doing surgery, consider adding an LED readout volt gauge while you are in there. Alas, I have never been inside the dash of an 1100, so I can't help you there. As to the LX40 lights, LED rider also sells a small control box to help run your lights.This mount out of sight inside the body somewhere. I simply turn mine on with a regular 12 volt toggle switch, mounted in the dash on the upper right side. When I turn on the switch, the lights come on at 50%. I tied the control wiring into my high beam circuit, so once the lights are on, I hit the factory high beam switch, and the LX40's go from 50 to 100% output with the high beams. Turn the high beams off, they drop back to 50%, no messing around. I think you can also wire them for 10 or 20% on low, and 100% on high, it depends on how you wire it, which is laid out in the book for the controller. This way, I do not need handle bar room for a multi switch unit, it is one small out of the way toggle switch. My other pair of driving lights is also on a toggle switch, those are a simple on/off setup. The switch is mounted in the same place on the left side of the dash. I know lots of people will say you have to buy fancy expensive switches, but you just do not have to, unless you want to. These are cheap, reliable, small and out of the way controls that work just as well as the fancy shmancy expensive stuff. It all depends on what you want.

I also have the Oxford Touring heated grips, they come with bar mount hardware that really does not take up any valuable space you need, they mount neatly on the left bar mount for the master cylinder for the clutch, it come with the parts you need for easy mounting. If you want to mount them somewhere else, you will have to figure that one out on your own.

I cut a hole in a dead spot on the dash, and mounted a double USB power outlet from the inside. It does block assess to the cubby on the right side, so I have to unplug the cable to open it, but I rarely open that cubby anyway, and never when riding, so that does not matter to me. It is neat and out of the way, and when the cover is closed, you almost do not even see it. I charge my phone from here every ride, and the GPS is hardwired to the Garmin hard mount, so just a matter of running the wires into the dash neatly.

The LX40's are mounted on brackets made for under mirror mounting, I think you can get some made at Motorcycle Larry's. Mine are Turbo Tom's, which not so easy to find any more.

Anyway, these are some ideas to consider for a cleaner look, it might be more work to install, but once done, it is worth it if you like what you see.

IMG_20161118_172814.jpgIMG_20161118_173017.jpgIMG_20161118_173047.jpgIMG_20161118_175119.jpgIMG_20161118_175408.jpgIMG_20161118_175449.jpgIMG_20161118_181933.jpgIMG_20161118_181945.jpg

Last edited:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A

Here is my dash setup. I Like uncluttered also, so I put my power outlet and 2 switches for 2 sets of driving lights in my dash, not on the bars. If you are not afraid to crack open the dash, go for it. If you really feel like doing surgery, consider adding an LED readout volt gauge while you are in there. Alas, I have never been inside the dash of an 1100, so I can't help you there. As to the LX40 lights, LED rider also sells a small control box to help run your lights.This mount out of sight inside the body somewhere. I simply turn mine on with a regular 12 volt toggle switch, mounted in the dash on the upper right side. When I turn on the switch, the lights come on at 50%. I tied the control wiring into my high beam circuit, so once the lights are on, I hit the factory high beam switch, and the LX40's go from 50 to 100% output with the high beams. Turn the high beams off, they drop back to 50%, no messing around. I think you can also wire them for 10 or 20% on low, and 100% on high, it depends on how you wire it, which is laid out in the book for the controller. This way, I do not need handle bar room for a multi switch unit, it is one small out of the way toggle switch. My other pair of driving lights is also on a toggle switch, those are a simple on/off setup. The switch is mounted in the same place on the left side of the dash. I know lots of people will say you have to buy fancy expensive switches, but you just do not have to, unless you want to. These are cheap, reliable, small and out of the way controls that work just as well as the fancy shmancy expensive stuff. It all depends on what you want.

I also have the Oxford Touring heated grips, they come with bar mount hardware that really does not take up any valuable space you need, they mount neatly on the left bar mount for the master cylinder for the clutch, it come with the parts you need for easy mounting. If you want to mount them somewhere else, you will have to figure that one out on your own.

I cut a hole in a dead spot on the dash, and mounted a double USB power outlet from the inside. It does block assess to the cubby on the right side, so I have to unplug the cable to open it, but I rarely open that cubby anyway, and never when riding, so that does not matter to me. It is neat and out of the way, and when the cover is closed, you almost do not even see it. I charge my phone from here every ride, and the GPS is hardwired to the Garmin hard mount, so just a matter of running the wires into the dash neatly.

The LX40's are mounted on brackets made for under mirror mounting, I think you can get some made at Motorcycle Larry's. Mine are Turbo Tom's, which not so easy to find any more.

Anyway, these are some ideas to consider for a cleaner look, it might be more work to install, but once done, it is worth it if you like what you see.

IMG_20161118_172814.jpgIMG_20161118_173017.jpgIMG_20161118_173047.jpgIMG_20161118_175119.jpgIMG_20161118_175408.jpgIMG_20161118_175449.jpgIMG_20161118_181933.jpgIMG_20161118_181945.jpg
Very tidy...!

ToddC

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #

Surely you aren't mounting all of that on the dash?
Shirley is my Mother, Not that much on the dash to mess with. It is a radar detector, upper GPS for zoom in on the twisty and speedo on the road, lower GPS for direction and mp3, phone holder, couple of convex mirrors and were good.

OP
OP
bikerdrumr

bikerdrumr

David
Bike
'15 BMW 1200RT
2024 Miles
STOC #

Thank you! That is really what I am looking for. I like the layout of what you have. It's also nice to know someone who has the same aux lights I have. How do you like them? I can't wait to see how they work at night! I probably have the same controller you have made by Skene. Some guy on this forum mounted his dual USB hub in the spot where the headlight adjustment knob is. The mounts I have are the police light mounts for the ST1100 made by Honda. Looking forward to putting this all together!

Thanks again!

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC

I try and keep things tidy and as OEM as possible.

Dash mods and surrounding -

Migsel Mount for Sat nav (GPS) + Compass, necessary for some parts of Europe that don't have full GPS mapping
Blu dash LED replacement done by Netherlands Pan European Group.
Gear Indicator included in RHS display
Two switches in RHS glove box for LED rear fog light and PIAA driving lights.
12 volt supply LHS glove box
Indicator repeaters in mirror surrounds
Heated grip controller LHS knee panel
Voltage warning indicator RHS knee panel

Handlebars -

LHS -
McCruise Controller
Sonic PPT for bike-bike radio

RHS -
Pre-2004 switchgear to allow headlights to be turned off, sidelights remain permanently on.

ASV clutch and brake levers

Last edited:
Bike
1993 ST 1100

When I first started looking thru this site I kept wondering why all the conversions to a 40 amp alternator, that has been answered with this thread.

Bike
2005 ST 1300 ABS
STOC #

The LX40 lights are fantastic. Super bright, well dispersed lighting pattern. My friend nerSTeve has the LX5's, which are $150.00 each and 5000 lumens versus $100.00 and 4200 lumens on the LX40. Due to the focus and reflectors of the LX 40's, they look as bright if not brighter than the LX5's when running down a dark road side by side. You will love these lights, on high they are amazing for their size. Like I mentioned, mine start out at 50% when running low beams, and people still flash me all the time because they are too bright. If you combine these lights with a good LED headlight upgrade, it is awesome for driving at night. With my other driving lights on high, and the LX40's, and headlights on high, I am throwing 22,400 lumens down the road. You will LOVE these lights!!

Also, and this is good info for all riders to know, LED Rider is an awesome company to deal with, who stands 110% behind their products.

I started with the LED Rider LR4's, and sadly had some issues with them, I had 3 stop working in 4 or 5 months. The second time, I was down south on a 10 day trip to the Dragon, Blue Ridge, Etc, Etc. On Friday one of my LR4 lights failed. I emailed the company from a parking lot in some small town, and kinda firmly asked them to send me a new light next day air, and have it delivered to Fontana Dam resort, where I would be arriving on Monday to stay a couple days. Most companies would laugh at that request, but LED Rider did exactly as I requested, and when I got to the resort on Monday, there was a next day package with a new light for me waiting when I got there. I swapped it out, and shipped the old one back when I got home.
A month later, the other side went out. I sent it back to them, and they sent me an apology email, and agreed to upgrade me up the the LX4's in exchange for the LR4's. After testing all 3 lights, and finding they were defective, they made it right with great customer service. BTW, the LX4's have been bulletproof so far, in the rain, lots of rough and unpaved roads, not even a hint of a hiccup. I would by products from this company again any day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom