Back to BMW...

W8NONU

Best days to ride end in Y
Bike
ST1300
After many great years on my 2006 ST, it was time to upgrade! My search for a new bike kept me returning to BMW and the R1200RT. I left an R1100RT back in 2006 for the ST and loved the Honda for its reliability and power. But, with no upgrade from Honda it's time to move on. I now own a 2015 R1200RT with all the technological advances and much improved power over the R1100RT. I had forgotten the amazing handling and the lack of heat on the RT........ The RT feels like the Starship Enterprise with all the bells and whistles. I guess another Alaska trip is in order to give me time to get familiar with everything............. Where's my passport!

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
Can't blame you for switching. I have a 2004, and while I love the bike, I think it's more emotion than anything else that I still have the ST. I will very much like to learn your impressions of your new R1200RT after you get some miles and smiles on it. I should add that the 'RT has been on top of my list as replacement for the ST, hence my interest on what you think of the 'RT.
Ride safe!
Alan

Congrats on that new R1200! I too had a 2006 ST1300 which I really enjoyed, and a few years ago I also went over to BMW. But I went with the K1600GT. That inline 6 just intrigued me to no end. I'm on my 2d one now. But I still find myself looking at some of the left over ST1300s.

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
Nice looking bike! I was close to making a deal on a 2015, the found a 2015 Gold Wing I couldn't pass up. Just curious, would you be will to share mileage on the bike and how much you paid?
Thanks,
Tom

OP
OP

W8NONU

Bike
ST1300
Nice looking bike! I was close to making a deal on a 2015, the found a 2015 Gold Wing I couldn't pass up. Just curious, would you be will to share mileage on the bike and how much you paid?
Thanks,
Tom
You don't want to know what I paid for it........ My brother bought it new and after the first service decided his knees just wouldn't hold up to riding any longer. He made me the offer you can't refuse! Let's just say I can ride it for 5-6 years and resell for more than I paid. As far as mileage, I don't have enough miles yet to give you a good indication. My brother said he was around the 48mpg range. I ride much more spirited than him and am interested in where I end up also. On my old R1100RT (2000 model) I was consistently in the 43mpg range. I'm hoping to be in the high 40's with the new RT.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Nice. I was just checking out the 1200GSA at the IMS Motorcycle Show in Long Beach as a possible replacement for the ST1300. I still want to rent one for a long day of riding. I'd be interested in your comparison of the 1200 boxer motor vs. the Honda V4

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
You don't want to know what I paid for it........ My brother bought it new and after the first service decided his knees just wouldn't hold up to riding any longer. He made me the offer you can't refuse! Let's just say I can ride it for 5-6 years and resell for more than I paid. As far as mileage, I don't have enough miles yet to give you a good indication. My brother said he was around the 48mpg range. I ride much more spirited than him and am interested in where I end up also. On my old R1100RT (2000 model) I was consistently in the 43mpg range. I'm hoping to be in the high 40's with the new RT.
Thanks. I was told by dealer the used ones hold there value because demand is higher than supply. Hard to buy into this logic when there are so many 2016's still on the showroom floors. I will be keeping my eyes open for a used, private party sale.

OP
OP

W8NONU

Bike
ST1300
I'm not sure if the GS and RT are tuned the same, but the RT is vastly improved over older models. It is much smoother with a lot more pep. It's hard to beat the ST's motor for overall smoothness and performance. I have always said that if Honda could make the ST handle as well as the RT it would be the ultimate bike! The new RT has come up several notches on the performance level giving the ST Some real competition. I never felt as comfortable in the twisties on the ST as I do on the RT. Either my old R1100RT or my new RT. I thought long and hard about finding a low mileage ST, but the new technology of the RT pulled me in...

Bike
2006 ST
I agree the smoothness of the ST is hard to beat but, then there's the heat issue. There is no heat issue on the RT but then the engine is not as smooth as the ST's. As I get older I realize more and more that I don't care for the heat coming off the ST engine.

As for riding in the twisties, I prefer the ST over the RT. Straight-line neither bike has an advantage until you factor in the RT's rock solid cruise control. Now if Honda could update the ST to rid the engine of the excess heat and add cruise and ESA, I'd sale my RT and ST for a newly designed ST....

But that 2016 RT does look good!

Bike
VStrom 650
I know you would anyway but make sure you ride before you buy.
The RT is a great bike and covers distance well but on a day long ride I just couldn't get on with it. This was the new version.
The gear shift (manual version) was apparently hidden where my boot couldn't find it and that motor was no better in my opinion to the R80RT.
At least the earlier ones leaked enough oil to keep your boots waterproof.
In the UK climate the finish doesn't last well either and tidier old bikes are very thin on the ground. Let's not forget that they seem to go wrong on a fairly regular basis, remember the rear shock debacle.
Upt'North.
I thought the K1600GT sat just above the X5?

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Enjoy the RT. It's not an ST, but in so many ways my '14 RT is just better than my '03 ST.

Two wheels good, enjoy your new ride.

Top Bottom