BT audio on the 94 ABS and 00 ST bikes

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I have previously used a RF wireless controller mounted to my clutch master cylinder to operate my old iPhone 4 with wired/ plugged in Plugfones so that I have music on the road. I then upgraded to a Scosche remote (BT) but still used the wired headfones. Most recently, I upgraded both the headphones and the remote control:

Plugfones Bluetooth:

https://www.plugfones.com/product/liberate/

This is what you get:

It comes with the instructions, charging adapter, and extra earplugs- these really do knock down the wind noise and are quite good as speakers as well. Get the 18" length as the 14" will likely be too short (unless you have a thin neck)- there's a microphone built in to the 18" size, but I suspect I'll never use it.

Here's the remote control:

^^ These show it attached to the Helibar silver end on the left (this is the 2000 ST)- I used a piece of 3M double sided tape and it's very securely in place and access is very good. Once it's paired with the phone (easy to do with the pair button on the back- use a precision screwdriver to push the button) all you do is tap any of the buttons to make it 'wake up' and it'll pair with the phone and start working. It'll go 'back to sleep' after a while to save the battery and it's claimed that the battery will last 2 years (I assume more if used on a bike that you're not using every day).

Here's the link for the controller/ BT remote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222234246269?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I like how they work so much I bought them for my wife's 2012 SRX as well as for the 2004 MR2 and the 1993 300ZX I have.

On the 1994 ABS, I used the supplied mount 'ring' and also used a piece of the 3M tape so that the ring doesn't rotate on the handlebar:

It's nice and secure and tapping the buttons while riding isn't distracting and it all works very well.

For $26 for the remotes and $79.20 for the Plugfones (they're $99 regular price but they have frequent 20% off sales so I got it during one of the sales), it's a relatively inexpensive way to use your phone music/ Pandora/ Spotify etc. really well.

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
Thanks for the information. I have a coiled of questions though. Do you have trouble getting on a full face helmet with the plugs in your ears? What purpose does the controller serve? Thank

OP
OP
Erdoc48

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Thanks for the information. I have a coiled of questions though. Do you have trouble getting on a full face helmet with the plugs in your ears? What purpose does the controller serve? Thank

Really good question: So far, I've used my GMax 3/4 helmet and no issues with the plugs in and helmet on (or any issues getting the helmet on). I've used the prior wired Plugfones (so the BT version is the same in terms of the piece that goes in the ear) and I usually ride with a Shoei Neotec (so albeit modular, I wouldn't expect trouble getting the helmet on). It might be more difficult if the helmet was very tight, I would assume.

As for the controller, it controls track forward, back, pause and play as well as volume, so it's pretty useful.

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
Thanks for the response. Sorry I didn't proof read the post before. I have been using a B.T. headphone that wraps around neck with buttons one the ends of the collar for play pause skip ect. I will check into the controller it looks interesting..

Top Bottom