Rear Shock Oil Change

Hi
Having finished rebuilding the front forks, Ive turned my attention to the rear shock, and would like to change the oil. Ive read the excellent article by Jim Randall, involving drilling the body and welding a nut on for a drain screw. Seems ok, but I wondered if anyone has succeeded in draining the oil by removing the staked in screw that's at the back of the unit behind the damper adjustment screw? Do you think this is how they are filled a the factory? I hope this isn't an adjustment screw, as Ive already turned it to see if it moves, and unfortunately didn't mark its original position!! As a side thought, I measured the spring, and it was 260mm free, the spec is 258mm, and its 16 years old, so I'm thinking maybe the police models (like mine) had a longer spring from new?
Thanks for any info.

OP
OP
There is definitely NO gas in the stock Showa shock. No more talk about spending lots of money please!!

Bike
VStrom 650
Before I say another word, I AM NOT A SUSPENSION EXPERT.
I think the Police would use the ABS unit which is now the only one available. The original part no. is superceded by the ABS unit which should have a black spring not blue and yes I believe it is slightly longer.
I changed to a new OEM last winter at 50000 miles and the difference is incredible, although there was no visual problems with the original, it just felt soft.
Good luck with the rebuild. You'll need it.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
Thanks for info. Yes it is a black spring, didn't know standard was blue. Its an ABS bike. Interesting re difference with new shock though.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Most stock 'shocks' are about wore out at 50,000 miles. Some go quicker than others and can turn into a real pogo stick. Lots of after market options on this side of the pond. I prefer Works Pro Racer as the replacement which really firms up the suspension. I have them on all three of my ST1100s and they can be rebuilt by the manufacturer. I also replace the front springs with Works progressive springs and 10 wt fork oil and about 1 3/8" preload spacer.

Top Bottom