Joseph/TX motorcycle accident in Houston TX

Judith Haller

jahaller
To those of you knew my brother, Joseph Haller, aka Joseph/TX, I am so sorry to inform you that he did not survive a motorcycle accident Sunday night, November 13, 2016. Some of you may have been with him a few weeks ago, at the event in Luckenbach, Texas. Joseph rode up to Austin afterward for dinner and a quick visit with me on his way home. That was the last time I saw him.

He was about 10 miles from his home in Magnolia, Texas (NW of Houston), headed to a friend's house when the crash occurred. Extreme darkness at the scene and confusing road signs contributed to the fatality. The news reports from Channel 13 and from Montgomery County can explain the scene better than I can, the links are below. A witness quickly called 911 and later told the Sheriff that Joseph appeared to be trying to drop the bike when it flipped. Our family is still trying understand how it happened. We are waiting on various reports and have not seen the bike. But the scene supports the witness's description. Also, the ditch is actually a 2-foot gulley that appears to be a creation of rushing water and flooding from last spring's heavy rains. We're guessing that the ground would normally be a just a low spot in a landscape, a more survivable scene.

http://abc13.com/news/motorcycle-rider-dies-after-crashing-into-trees-ditch/1605760/
http://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/motorcycle-runs-road-driver-dies/

I understand Joseph was active on this group. That's no surprise, he was 13 years old when he got his first motorcycle, a Honda 90. I think he had spells of being without a car, but I can't remember him ever being without at least one motorcycle. He sure was enjoying his ST1100.

Joseph is survived by his mother, another sister and I, a brother, many, many friends and extended family. A memorial service will be announced in the Houston Chronicle obit later this week (Thanksgiving Day?). If this link doesn't work, I'll repost:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/houstonchronicle/.

Joseph will be missed by many.

Judith
(his sister)

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I did not know Joseph, but very sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Very sorry to hear this, I never had the pleasure of meeting him but he has been here a couple years and I know participated in a few Ride to Eat events.

We will keep your family in our thoughts and prayers.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm very sorry for your loss and sad to hear that we have lost one of our own!

My thoughts and prayers are with your family and his friends.

And thank you for taking to time to let us know!

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Judith, I am so terribly sad to hear of your loss. Since I live a long way from Texas (in Montreal, Canada), I have never had the pleasure of meeting Joseph but I have seen his posts on the site.
My thoughts are very much with you and your family and Joseph's friends at this sad time. May you all find strength and peace.

Patty

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Judith,

So sorry to read your post and my condolences to you and your family.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Judith, I'm very sorry to hear this. I met and rode with Joseph one day this past spring after a ride-to-eat in San Antonio. He was an easy going, very likable guy. I didn't get to know him well but will certainly miss him. My condolences to you and the rest of your family.

Regards,
Paul

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Thank you for the information and my deepest condolences to you and your family. I did not have the pleasure of meeting Joseph, from what I have read I am sure he will be missed by many. It always hurts when you hear of a fellow member going down. Please take care of yourself and those around you.

Todd. :(:06biker:

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
So sad to hear this news! Sorry for you loss, Judith... I did not know Joseph, but it is sad just the same because he was a member of the ST family! Condolences to you and your family!

Bike
1997 ST 1100 GL1800
STOC #
I'm so very sorry for you and your family's loss. I had the opportunity to meet him about 2 years ago at a ride to eat, we got along immediately. Since that first meeting we met at another 4 ST Owners gatherings and also seemed to end up sitting together. We had an instant bond, 2 older motorcycle gentlemen. I'm greatly saddened to hear of his passing.
Tim Harkins

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Thank you for the strength you show by joining us to inform us of this tragic event.
Know that many here are praying for you & the family.

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Our condolences for your loss. We all feel it when a member here leaves us. For those who knew him we can only say he was doing what he loved. Please pass on my thoughts and prayers to your family.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Judith, my condolences to you and your family. I met Joseph earlier this year at a RTE, went to another RTE after that and saw him again there. We also went to a CAF Open House at the West Houston airport last Spring. I remember seeing the story about his accident on the news, but I had no idea that it was Joseph. That was the last time that I saw him. Again, my sincerest condolences.

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
So sorry to hear this news. I had never met Joseph but our thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and all of Josephs friends.
Dennis and Cindy
Kitchener Ontario

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
Very sorry to read this. I'd met Joseph several times before I moved from Texas, and he and I occasionally traded emails. He had even mentioned Judith to me once or twice while we were chatting.
My condolences to Judith and everyone else Joe knew.

Top Bottom