Thinking of Goldwing for the airbag

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I love my ST. It has ABS, and has numerous accessories and modifications to make it fit me. I wear ATGATT. I also wear a Helite airbag. I am 59 years old.

Lately I've been considering buying a used (2006-2008) Goldwing with an airbag.

Safety is very important to me. I don't need a bike as big as the Wing, but I'm sure I could grow to love it. I'm not an aggressive rider. If I could get the same level of safety in a wearable, I would keep what I have. Alpinestar is coming out with a new airbag system that is faster and provides shoulder protection. It looks to be a major step forward in wearable airbags. It isn't cheap ($1,300 or so) but it would be a lot cheaper than a new bike. The airbag on the Wing is a lot faster and LARGER. It stops the rider from going over the handlebars in the event of a head on collision, like a car making a left turn in front of you. For this common cause of serious injury, it is clearly superior to the Alpinestar.

I figure I could get about $3,500 for my bike and an airbag wing is around $11,000, so a difference of around $7,500. Not chump change, but I can afford it if I need to make a change. If I got the Wing, I would continue to wear the Helite, and maybe even get the Alpinestar in a few years for the shoulder protection in the event of non-frontal collision.

The way I see it, the Wing airbag while wearing the Helite would be a huge step forward safety wise.

Before I made any decision, I wanted to run it by some other people. What do you think?

Bike
'08 ST1300
--you can't put a price on safety; do what you think is best; only you can decide this decision; but don't just buy "a Goldwing" because it has an airbag feature; buy the bike because it suits your riding needs.

--what if you are rear-ended?

--some people swear by lots and lots of lights everywhere; some people like traction control (I like running in slightly taller gear and having a controllable right wrist; and "reading the pavement" and camber); some swear by antilock brakes (I like no surprises but then a panic stop sometimes necessary)

--I still think, two things regarding safety; 1.the most dangerous bike is the one you are not familiar with. 2. the most important safety feature on any bike is the "6 inches between your ears".

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
I agree, the most important things are your attitude and control of the vehicle. If you are going from an 1100 to an 1800 that is what? a 60% increase in size and probably a few hundred pounds of GVW. It is a matter of getting used to it - in all riding conditions - before you start to ride, aggressively or not, "automatically". You can't ride too safely.

On the other hand, you can't go around thinking you are going to have an accident all the time either, or you will. And you won't be enjoying yourself. When I ride I put my gear on and pay attention to what the other drivers are doing. But I'm riding for fun, so I make predicting what they are going to do part of the game. I get to enjoy my wife's admiration when I predict something crazy some one is going to do (safely staying out of range) and then we both watch them do it. So now I have two sets of eyes looking out for us and she doesn't get surprised by my evasive maneuvers when they are necessary.

I haven't seen the GW airbag in action but even if it could keep you from going over the bars in a head-on I find it hard to imagine it could keep you on the bike. Inertia is a *****.

(Anyone on the forum had experience using the Helite? How did it perform? The GW airbag? How did that work for you?)

Either way let us know what you choose.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The GW is a much bigger and heavier bike. Since you don't ride aggressively, I think you should take one out on an extended ride - maybe rent one for a day trip? See how you like the bike. You probably don't drive an M1 tank for its safety, and probably did not buy your car for its safety features alone (maybe you drive a Volvo?). Getting a bigger, heavier bike that handles differently than the relatively heavy, but nimble ST might not be a safety based decision. I tend not to like relying on mechanical things. They have a tendency to fail in every way imaginable. Look at Takata airbags. Some of them kill people. Sure an airbag is a nice safety feature, but as coolbreeze suggested, driving smart is the best defense.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I had an airbag until I high sided it. Airbag stayed where it should be. Undeployed as it was not a front collision. I like wings and bought the Airbag model for the added safety. I have confidence it would have helped me if someone would have turned left. Yes driving safe is number one but doesn?t always work.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Interestingly, the goldwing is part of the Takata air bag recall fiasco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
VStrom 650
Coolbreez says it all really, I think a lot of money sent on perceived safety would be better spent on good defensive driving/riding courses. What might take a lifetime to learn by trial and error may be picked up in days or hours. That safety can then be transferred to all vehicles. I'm not dismissing modern (?) safety features and if it helps to keep us on this planet a little longer to ride then great. For all the safety nuts and bolts on a vehicle it's the NUT behind the wheel that makes the difference. Ride safe and don't trust anyone.
Upt'North.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
coolbreez1 said:
--what if you are rear-ended?
?? You're rear-ended.

Regardless of what any one person or persons swear by there is no perfect answer. Some people will swear by riding naked and using their wits and believing 'they're out to kill us'. Whatever gives you solace.

I'd like to think that whatever anybody does to marginalize collisions and injury— extra mirrors/ATGATT/extra lights/ABS/hi-vz clothing and decals/horns/helmet etc. etc.— they realize that there ARE NO GUARANTEES and all you can do is all you can do. In the end some or all of that may make a difference. Or it may not. For everything someone has done to avoid a crash someone else has done the same thing and it's failed.

One day you may make a mistake and you're shiny side down. Another day the Other Guy makes a mistake and you're shiny side down. All you can do is all you can do.

Highway STar said:
but even if it could keep you from going over the bars in a head-on I find it hard to imagine it could keep you on the bike.
You're saying it can't keep you from going over the bars? My guess is it's NOT intended to keep you on the bike but to prevent you from being propelled over the handlebars and into space or the object that you're crashing into. So what if it doesn't keep you on the bike. Without it if you're drilled into a car the helmet might not keep you alive.

It's entirely possible Honda actually tested the airbags and that under some circumstances it CAN keep someone from going over the bars. And under other circumstances it won't. Some people believe that the Wing-bags will eject the rider off the back of the bike into space. Go figure.

Yes driving safe is number one but doesn’t always work.
Word.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I think if I was of the " if I am that concerned about safety on a bike that I will trade handling for a passive device" crowd, I would simply get a Miata.

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Well, I have a Lexus SC430. I've got that choice covered. If it weren't for the companionship of other riders I would never have started riding in the first place. I guess you can say I ride for the people in riding.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Well, I have a Lexus SC430. If it weren't for the companionship of other riders I would never have started riding in the first place. I guess you can say I ride for the people in riding.
Surely there are sports car clubs in Kentucky where you can meet w/ other guys with the same interests. Way back when, I did rallies and went to gymkhannas in parking lots. Lot of fun, and like minded people. But bike guys seem to socialize and ride more.....

Well, I have a Lexus SC430. I've got that choice covered. If it weren't for the companionship of other riders I would never have started riding in the first place. I guess you can say I ride for the people in riding.
Have you ridden a Goldwing ? I mean put some miles on one, you might want to think about it before you make this decision.
Two completely different motorcycles, I personally have had both and thought I was up grading when I bought a wing. I'm planning to go back to the ST 1300 in the spring time.

Now, it your making your decision solely on the availability of the air bag, then there is no talking you out of your decision. If your looking for companionship in the motorcycle world, the GL world far surpasses any sport tour group.
May I suggest, www.gl1800riders.com for all your questions .
Great bunch of guys there and a very active forum.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I think if I was of the " if I am that concerned about safety on a bike that I will trade handling for a passive device" crowd, I would simply get a Miata.
Interesting, with after market mods I most likely could keep up with the ST1300. But then I have been called crazy. Google yellow wolf on the dragon. Wings can do more than you think...now, I know most of them do wear out the center of the tires.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

thekaz

haz gone feral
OK I have lots of understanding between the different vehicle air bags in light trucks cut away ...... so why are you assuming the Goldwing air bag is overall "safer" that what you have now ?

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
You're saying it can't keep you from going over the bars? My guess is it's NOT intended to keep you on the bike but to prevent you from being propelled over the handlebars and into space or the object that you're crashing into. So what if it doesn't keep you on the bike. Without it if you're drilled into a car the helmet might not keep you alive.

It's entirely possible Honda actually tested the airbags and that under some circumstances it CAN keep someone from going over the bars. And under other circumstances it won't. Some people believe that the Wing-bags will eject the rider off the back of the bike into space. Go figure.
No, I'm not saying that. I watched the Honda videos about the airbag on the Goldwing. And I noticed they featured only T-bone impacts of a bike driving into the side of a car at various angles. An unmoving car at that. It actually seems to do a fairly decent job of absorbing some of the impact and preventing injury that might otherwise occur. The OP specifically mentioned a head-on collision. In a head-on impact at even 40 mph any car is going to out-velocity a 900 pound motorcycle and your bike is going to be accelerating backwards and continuing to do so long after the car has reached equilibrium, and as a likely result, you will be following a trajectory upwards and becoming airborne for far too long for the human body.

The point I was trying to make was that if you are thinking in terms of a head-on collision, you might have a false sense of protection from having an airbag. Of course, anything that reduces the forces in an impact is going to help. Far better to avoid it in the first place.

Not sure why you felt the need to be snide on this forum but it doesn't fit the people who visit it. I'm sorry if I seemed foolish in my post. I was answering from my perspective.

Bike
VStrom 650
Jock,
I think you are spot on. There is no way that any mechanical device is stronger than the laws of physics, you know, velocity and all that nonsense. For airbags to work in an automotive situation you need to be restrained in a fixed position and they only fire if certain forces are exceeded. Obviously in a car this is easy, the pre tensioner will fire and you are held securely until the world stops turning whilst surrounded by about 9 or 10 bags. On the wing you are obviously not held in position and neither will you hold yourself by hanging on to the bars. Even in a relatively low speed collision your bodies wait will multiply enormously with the mass involved. I'm all for staying in one piece and would never ride without CE armour, boots, helmet, gloves etc. and yes airbags may prevent some of the injuries being more serious but no one should think a fall will feel like landing on pillows. These things expand at terrific rates in milliseconds, they have to. There are lots of pictures re injuries caused by airbags firing but obviously things may have been worse without them.
Upt'North.

Bike
VStrom 650
Jock,
P.S.
I also think that the original question on reflection shows more about the perceived fear of riding. I honestly don't feel that personally and I've had an off or two so I know I don't like pain and ride accordingly. That includes riding for everyone else on the road. Unless you know otherwise treat them all as half wits.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Not sure why you felt the need to be snide on this forum
I wasn't being snide. I was being direct.

The OP's mention of a head-on collision was 'in the event of a head on collision, like a car making a left turn in front of you.' Statistically this has been the most common car-motorcycle collision and apparently what Honda has tested for. You seem to feel that the car not moving somehow puts the testing in question. Without some kind of evidence I'd say unless the car was moving at a very high speed there's probably no particular significance given the motorcycle's forward speed. But those are all variables.

There are a LOT of assumptions being made in different posts that make little to no sense. IF someone believes that any safety gear of any kind will keep them safe then they are suffering from a false sense of security. Yet people debate the merits of various brands and styles of helmets jackets and pants constantly. I have no reason to believe the OP suffers any such delusions.

I opine that in even in an actual head on collision a rider will probably be better off with an air bag than without. There are scenarios where an airbag is/will be a moot point. There are those where it will reduce injury or even save lives. Riders are severely injured or killed in spite of wearing a lot of good safety equipment. Riders are spared severe injury or death because of wearing good safety equipment. Very few people get to choose what kind of collusion they'll be having or when or where they'll have it. An airbag is just another tool in the bag of safety. I would hope nobody thinks that any safety gear or driving courses will keep them safe. Nothing will keep you safe. But some or all of it increases their odds and might make the difference between life and death if circumstances permit it.

He's thinking of a GW for the airbag so he should get a Miata and find a sports car club and is fearful of riding? WTW? I'd guess he has a concern of crashing. Riding? Possibly. Possibly no more than the 'ride like they're out to kill you' crowd.

I agree that riding a Wing would be a change especially depending on his skill level. It's a bigger heavier bike. He's aware of that. A good rider can move it right smartly so it doesn't have to be like driving Gramp's Buick. But he said he not an aggressive rider. A Wing might be just the ride for him. I also agree that if at all possible he should try to ride one before buying if he gets the chance.

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
When I said head on collision, I really meant frontal collision. I understand there will always be risk, but prudence dictates we minimize risk when possible. My normal riding group has disintegrated due to 2 crashes. Neither were fatal, but 1 required a 2 week hospital stay. They were both frontal collisions that the Wing Airbag may have helped. One guy hit a deer, and the other had a Harley weave and ran off the road and hit a bank. This has probably made me hyper sensitive. I don't think either of them would have spent any time in the hospital if they were wearing my Helite. The new Alpinestar is probably even better. In a couple of years there will probably be an even better wearable. That is my hope.

I'm going to Hillsborough River State Park west of Orlando between Christmas and New Years. I'm going to try to ride over there and rent a Wing to see if I like it. I take an XT225 when camping. I doubt I'll like it, but you never know.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
No oar in the water here, but am thinking the wearable inflatable device would be more effective in more situations....ride safe....ff

Top Bottom