Garmin GPS that will import routes

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
but I can't create that same route and import it to my Nuvi40LM
This is the problem with the majority of the newer "auto" GPS units. You many have better luck getting an older unit of of eBay. TBH, they work well and some of them still have maps you can update but in reality, roads don't change that much outside of urban areas.
Rod

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
I have a garmin 660 for the mighty ST 1300 and one for my Goldwing. it comes with a cradle for the car and depending which mount you use it will show a bike or a car at the bottom of the screen. when I got the first 660 my first use of it was in my van for a trip to north Ridgeville, oh. I've made the trip many times but wanted to see how the 660 would route me. a friend put a couple of routes on it for me

Yes I am looking for a GPS that has the ability to import routes. I have a Garmin Nuvi 40LM that does not have that capability.
Was in the very same boat as you. Purchased a cheap used Garmin and found out the hard way. Now I just use my android phone and import all my routes to OsmAnd. Works perfectly and it's free.....cell coverage or no cell coverage.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I skimmed through the .pdf manual for the 40LM and on page 16, it said it 'supports' .gpx files created in Mapsource. I have no idea what 'supports' means though.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Was in the very same boat as you. Purchased a cheap used Garmin and found out the hard way. Now I just use my android phone and import all my routes to OsmAnd. Works perfectly and it's free.....cell coverage or no cell coverage.
I think this is the way of the future. Smartphone apps that do everything, and more, that most stand alone GPS units do now. Osmand. CoPilot, etc are a good example. I would imagine that the big outfits like Garmin and TomTom are concerned. If the auto companies ever delink their satnav systems to many other, desirable, options I would imagine that their sales of that option would plummet.

The problem so far, with phone apps, is that they suck battery power but that will be overcome.

I have put off buying a newer GPS unit. Waiting until a real good phone app is available. I don't expect that I will have to wait very long. I have used my old (2008) TomTom920 in some 25 different countries and it has worked at about 95% effectiveness. Perfect? No. But neither are the $7-800, motorcycle, specific units.

Rod

Top Bottom